« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > Technical > Terrain Response ...
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
avtur

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Stornoway Grey
Terrain Response ...

Anyone seen a comprehensive description of what TR does and how it achieves it?

I'm going to assume that it controls the 'Haldex' centre coupling and traction control at a minimum; but what exactly does it do on the different programs. Is there a definitive one-stop-shop guide to all the systems on the car? Or is it a question searching all the different reviews and sifting the information they contain?

Post #1594 9th Feb 2007 4:25 pm
Allan O

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 SE Manual Zermatt Silver

Terrain response alters the following......
Engine management, Auto transmission (where fitted), Electronic centre coupling, HDC, & ETC/DSC, to the following, for each T.S. setting.

General Mode: engine management, normal/Transmission, normal/ Centre coupling, close the coupling to transmit torque to the rear axle on drive-away, then open once underway/ HDC, Off/ ETC-DSC All operational

Grass, Gravel, Snow: Engine management: More gradual torque delivery, to avoid wheelslip/ Auto trans.: Early upshift/ Centre coupling: Stay closed until much higher speeds/ HDC Off/ ETC-DSC: High sensitivity to slip.

Mud & Ruts. Engine Management: Progressive torque delivery/ Auto Trans. Tuned appropriately for mud driving/ Centre coupling: Low locking torque setting, & increased pre loading of diff to provide aggresive response to wheel slip, reduced sensitivity to steering inputs/ HDC: on/ ETC-DSC Low sensitivity to slip.

Sand: Engine management: More aggressive throttle response/ Auto trans. Holds onto gears longer, downshifts sooner/ Centre coupling: High pre-loading to maximise traction at all wheels, locking torque maintained at higher speeds/ HDC Off/ ETC-DSC: DSC control modified to reduce engine intervention.

Enjoy

Post #1595 9th Feb 2007 5:02 pm
avtur

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Stornoway Grey
Thanks ....

Allan O, thats great just what I was wanting to know, so how do you know this ??

So what about the heating system, I've seen reference to an auxilliary fuel burning heater and to an electric supplemenary heater; whats the score with these?

Post #1596 9th Feb 2007 6:00 pm
Allan O

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 SE Manual Zermatt Silver

Hi Avtur,
The fuel burning heater is an optional extra for u.k. standard for some cold climate markets, however, all diesel engined freelander 2's have a 1kw auxiliary electric heater mounted within the blower unit which comes into play if the car is driven gently in cold conditions to warm the cabin quicker under these circumstances.

P.S. my anorak has a detachable hood!

Allan

Post #1612 10th Feb 2007 5:16 pm
Ivan Shtanoff

Russia 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 S Manual Narvik Black

I don't think, that TR is rather usefull. I 've bought version E, which does'nt include this system, cause my friend, who owns SE version, told me, that it is just a toy, or device for girls. If you want to control your car and you believe yourself more, than you believe stupid electronics, TR is not usefull. But, as I know, it is impossible to buy version E in some countries...

Post #2176 31st Mar 2007 2:12 pm
Tim in Scotland

United Kingdom 

TR is brilliant and very clever - I have it on my RRSport SE TDv6. Just because your friend says it's girlie to have TR doesn't mean you don't need to have it, Anyway if you have it and don't want to use it then you just leave the knob in the General/On road setting. From experience offroading my RRS I prefer to use my own knowledge/experience in some conditions and not rely 100% on TR, and in other conditions I prefer the way the TR sets up the car, but then I have a low ratio/transfer case as well as the TR! How can carbon have a footprint, it has no feet?
Now driving - RRE Coupe Dynamic Lux Auto with Plus pack, Fuji White, Ebony, SD4 with tow pack
Gone - 2010MY FFRR TDv8 Stornoway and Ivory, Privacy - the pace of a TDv8 RRS, the incomparable grace of a Range Rover
Gone but will be missed- RRS Tdv8 HSE Stornoway Grey with Ebony Leather
Gone (only a little missed) RRS Tdv6 2.7SE Giverny Green/Aspen
Defender 90 County HT in Epsom Green

Post #2209 2nd Apr 2007 5:27 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1