« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > Wheels & Tyres > Bad back..... new tyres
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
peter2704

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Barolo Black
Bad back..... new tyres

Ok,so spent the day taking off all 4 wheels to get some new tyres fitted allround. So after forgetting how heavy the 18"wheel/ tyre combo was the back is stiffening nicely.After checking the funds i have plumped for the Accelera iotas ,some reviews good some not so ,but at 71 each i though i would try them out .Will try to do a bit of a running report, but they have to be better than the bald pirellis that were on it.

Post #177948 29th Mar 2013 10:49 pm
Stevie5tapes

England 2013 Freelander 2 TD4_e GS Auto Sumatra Black

I got offered them by a company in Brighouse. They were quoting 113 each corner fitted for 17" tyres. I decided not to have them. Let us know how you find them. It was doing my head in choosing new tyres but I think that was because of the new EU labelling system, sound was a main thing for me then wet braking was on my mind. In the end I thought sod it and went for Grabber AT's. I was looking at Infinty INF200 tyres, then Marangoni tyres. I suppose it depends on what you want really. Black MY2013 SD4 GS Auto, Wood Company Armrest, Freel2 sticker.
Gone MY2010 Freelander 2 Manual TD4.e S, Alaska White.

Post #177953 29th Mar 2013 11:16 pm
peter2704

I know what you mean its a bloody minefield!, i think the accelera are rated C,C,74db so i will see how they go.Must admit they look well on the car Cool

Post #177955 29th Mar 2013 11:39 pm
AJS4X4

United Kingdom 

Tyre labelling is self regulated.........stopping distance is very poor in the wet so get used to them. Wink Andy.
www.ajstyres.co.uk www.ajs4x4.co.uk
J8 M25 SURREY
01737 241370

Post #177976 30th Mar 2013 8:16 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
bambi68

England 2011 Freelander 2 TD4_e XS Manual Zermatt Silver

Didn't realise you were over on here as well Andy.

Post #177977 30th Mar 2013 8:35 am
Boycey

England 2013 Freelander 2 TD4_e GS Manual Santorini Black

Hey Peter

Small world! I had Accelera iotas on the FL2 I chopped in last week. Had them 2 years and 26,000 miles and there was plenty of tread when I waved goodbye to it at the dealer.

Never noticed a poor stopping distance, but then again don't recall the need for it very often.

Let us know how you get on. I try to be philosophical when it comes to spending a small fortune on rubber but never quite succeed, so it will be interesting to hear.

Post #177980 30th Mar 2013 9:51 am
Stevie5tapes

England 2013 Freelander 2 TD4_e GS Auto Sumatra Black

I went to about 8 tyre shops around Brighouse and Huddersfield. I told em all that I had about 100 quid a corner to spend. One fitter wouldnt sell me any tyres as the only deal he could do would mean I would have to go for a lower speed rating. He said he would rather him loose a sale that sell me some chineese rubbish that after a while would loose its roundness and look like a 50pence peice. I felt the other places were just trying to flog me any old rubbish. Was often told "these are really good tyres" then when I looked on the net there were loads of bad reviews about them. One tried to sell me a brand called double r, never heard of them. Must abmit I spent abit extra in the end and got 4 Grabber AT's. They have been really good in the recent snow. Black MY2013 SD4 GS Auto, Wood Company Armrest, Freel2 sticker.
Gone MY2010 Freelander 2 Manual TD4.e S, Alaska White.

Post #178159 31st Mar 2013 4:10 pm
peter2704

Bit of an update ,first trip today,took the family to Castle Bolton, a 110 mile round trip and feeling towards new tyres are .On the A1 i didn't notice any more road noise than the pirellis that came off,cornering seems sound ,ride ok.I must confess none of this was in the wet so will update when the mould release agent has come out properly and when it rains.Mpg at 70/75 around 37 to the gallon, 4 up.

Post #178233 31st Mar 2013 11:05 pm
fisha

I'll chip in here too regarding the Iota's. I fitted a set of evoque 20's and 255/45 Iotas about a month ago. So far, I really cant fault them. That includes a direct comparison of jumping out of an evoque on michelins ( same alloys but 245/55 ) and into the Fl2 with the Iotas and giving each a blast along the same country roads. Cant really say I noticed a difference between each.

In the snow of late, they managed as well as I could expect from a low profile tyre. I managed to get about fine.

As for the wet, again, they go, they turn corners, they stop ... I've never felt that I've braked and thought that they were any different fvrom other tyres i've had.

I do understand that as you approach the max limits of tyre grip under braking then the Iotas may lose out ... but to me that becomes a factor to consider when driving ... know your limits and drive within them.

Having driven them back to back, I certainly dont feel that I get anything remotely close to twice the performance from a premium brand name tyre that costs twice the price.

Post #178385 1st Apr 2013 9:16 pm
english yeoman

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 SE Manual Santorini Black

"Having driven them back to back, I certainly dont feel that I get anything remotely close to twice the performance from a premium brand name tyre that costs twice the price."

I've often wondered that too!

Post #220005 20th Mar 2014 4:44 pm
peter2704

still pleased with the iotas ,wet grip seems fine too

Post #220015 20th Mar 2014 6:42 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1