« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > Maintenance & Modifications > 2008 LR2 Rear Differential Oil Check
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
rlrigsby

United States 
2008 LR2 Rear Differential Oil Check

Does the 2008 LR2 have a rear differential oil plug in order to check the fluid?

My vehicle suddenly started making a loud noise in the rear differential and although I know it's likely the defective pinion bearing, I thought I would at least check the differential fluid just to be certain before taking in to trade it. Not about to spend the sort of money they want to replace the differential and frankly, disappointed that LRNA chose to pass the problem along to its customers.

Anyway, if there is a drain plug for the rear differential, would very much like to know the location, particularly if someone has a pic they can share.

Thanks

Russell

Post #216367 9th Feb 2014 8:31 pm
steve t

United Kingdom 

http://www.freel2.com/forum/post100292.html#100292

Post #216369 9th Feb 2014 8:37 pm
rlrigsby

United States 

Exactly what I needed.

Thanks Steve!

Post #216372 9th Feb 2014 9:33 pm
rlrigsby

United States 
Differential fluid level

Just checking with someone more knowledgeable than myself. Got the diagrams and looked them over. I see two plugs relative to what i want to check at the rear most portion of my LR2. There is a lower plug in the rear axle housing and an upper plug for the active on-demand coupling.

The diagram for the lower plug states that with the vehicle level, there should be a thin thread running from the plug hole if I understood it correctly.

The diagram for the upper plug (active on-demand coupling) appears to say the same thing in # 8 but also states that it's not a fluid level indicator in #9. If the proper level for the demand coupling is a thin thread running from the plug hole and yet it's not a level indicator, then isn't that a bit conflicted?

I ask because with the vehicle level, when I check the on-demand coupling plug hole, I can detect no gear oil to the furthest ability of placing my little finger as far into it as I can.

The other question is the configuration of the on-demand coupling and axle housing, which appears to be one unit such that if I were to fill the the demand coupling until it seeps out, then opening the lower plug would cause it to come pouring out.

Is the active on-demand coupling and the axle housing both within the same gear reservoir? With the vehicle level, should a small bead of gear oil come out of the upper plug hole of the active on-demand coupling?

thanks

Post #216480 10th Feb 2014 9:15 pm
pab

United Kingdom 2009 Freelander 2 TD4 XS Manual Lago Grey

The diff and coupling reservoirs are separate, and must be topped up separately. In the case of the coupling you fill to the level of the hole, replace the plug, turn on the ignition for 5 mins, top up again, and then remove 70ml with a syringe. See the link above for full details.

Post #216482 10th Feb 2014 9:49 pm
rlrigsby

United States 

Outstanding. Thanks for the help!

Russell

Post #216495 10th Feb 2014 10:58 pm
pab

United Kingdom 2009 Freelander 2 TD4 XS Manual Lago Grey

BTW, it's important that the procedure for filling the coupling is carried out correctly, and using the correct fluid. There have been a few cases where a differential repair by an independent garage has been closely followed by a failure of the coupling, and there's some suspicion that this may be related to incorrect handling of the coupling during the diff repair (the coupling has to be removed for access to the diff).

Post #216522 11th Feb 2014 9:45 am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1