« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > Maintenance & Modifications > Finland designed WEBASTO Configuration
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Print this entire topic · 
j00ppis

Finland 
Finland designed WEBASTO Configuration

Hello, i think its time to post some information about freelander 2 in finland. We are struggling to get webasto to freelander 2 model. Our weather is very cold and we realy need this alot. There is pre-heater in every lr2 models but dealer have refused to make it work like webasto, but not anymore.
years ago dealer told that they wont do it, and if someone will modify it, you will lose your guarantee. They only installed radiation heaters to bottom of oilpan. Now they have fixed the problem whit the pre-heater. This shud be 100% Finland made and desing, and they will instal remote control to pre-heater, there is 2 ways to do it.

1: Remote control to pre-heater which only warms the engine. costs 1040euros ( 853.99 GBP)
And which i think they just make some wirings.

2. Remote control to pre-heater which warms the engine + Some kind of relay fixing which makes the warm air to flow inside cabing. Costs 1240euros ( 1018.22 GBP )
And i think there will be somekind of fixing which will active to cabin fan to run

What i think about this, i think its expensive just like everything about cars in finland they rob us!

OFFTOPIC

Glowplugs replacement, they told me that i have 07year model that it might have old software which wont glow so much as it shud, so i have ordered glowplug replacement by dealer, this will cost 320euros for job, + parts it will be 390euros ( job 262.77 GBP, and whole thing whit parts ( 320.25 GBP ) The time which they need to do the replacement is 3 hours, not sure are they fast or slow Smile but the price for one hour job in dealer is between 100-120euros.

OFFTOPIC

2013 years all sold / registered new land / range rovers models in finland by TM Magazine

- Evoque. (.88
- Freelander 2 (.26
- RR Sport (.20
- Range Rover (.18
- Discovery 4 (.10
- LR VANS (.21

Post #215663 3rd Feb 2014 2:35 pm
attrs

Estonia 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Manual Tambora Flame

You should take a ferry to Tallinn, the 1h in dealership is about 40€ and glow plugs were about 160€/set. Many finns maintain their cars here at Inchcape. According to the dealer some Russians living in S-Pb also drive to Tallinn to get their cars maintained.

The webasto unit installed from the factory works as an aux heater warming up the car much faster. This can be changed to a parking heater rather simply. You can find a lot of info here: https://www.freel2.com/forum/topic10863.html and the factory manual for adding timer/remote: https://www.freel2.com/gallery/albums/user...atures.pdf

I installed the 1533 timer on my car and can now start the webasto at will. This will only heat the engine. Total cost for me was less than 100€. The dealership enabled the telestart function for 13€ and had no complaints about the timer getting added to the car.

Getting warm air into the interior is much harder. Aux coolant pump is needed and some other device to open air flaps and turn on the fan. I know Russians had some mod for it but the cost was also about 1k€. With cost difference of about 200€ your dealership has found some sort of a new trick.

Post #215689 3rd Feb 2014 6:41 pm
j00ppis

Finland 

Thanks for information, i have mailed inchape tallin about service costs, they asked my Salfa code after replying my salfa code, they told me service price and it was allmost same price as finland Surprised?
but second thing, i dont have any electrical knowledge so i just leave them to those who can do it =)!

i think its abit to late to change glowplug replacement to tallin, i can use the ferry because i work on silja line =)! but you know, many people are kind of a fraid repairing car in tallin, because of many stories told that they steal orginal parts and replaces replacement parts and these kinds of horror stories :O!!!
if you guys can do this costs like 100-200euros, you guys should make company to finland and REsell your knowledge to other land rover owners and make some money! instead that inchape robs us whit 1040euros for job which u can do whit 100euros =)!

Post #215692 3rd Feb 2014 7:25 pm
attrs

I've heard the stories also. Inchcape is the only official dealer in Estonia and I do not believe they would do these things. Unfortunately there are some backstreet garages that will rob a tourist when possible Sad I had my cars glow plugs changed 2 winters ago and the total price was less than 300€. It takes a long time to change since intake manifold has to come off.

Post #215712 3rd Feb 2014 10:04 pm
alex_pescaru

Re: Finland designed WEBASTO Configuration

j00ppis wrote:
We are struggling to get webasto to freelander 2 model.
There is pre-heater in every lr2 models but dealer have refused to make it work like webasto

Sorry, but I didn't understand...
Do you have or not a Webasto installed?
Or you have only that PTC electrical heater?

Post #215714 3rd Feb 2014 10:10 pm
j00ppis

Finland 

i dont have webasto at the moment, but i will get this remote control so then this pre-heater will work as webasto!
and what electrical heater? i have ever heard about electric heater, only that there is fuel working pre-heater on every lr2 model which works on low temps automaticly

Post #215716 3rd Feb 2014 10:17 pm
alex_pescaru

I believe that there is a little confusion and misunderstanding of the terms.

The fuel burning heater (FBH) is made by Webasto company and on the FL2 it's named ThermoTop V. (TTV)

But not all FL2s have it. For non cold countries there is an electrical heater on the air path of the HVAC system. They don't have the FBH installed at all. So they can't warm up the engine. Just the air that enters in the cabin once the car is started.

On the cars that are equipped with FBH, this FBH is working as an auxiliary heater helping the engine warm up faster once the engine is started.
But this FBH also can be programmed to work as a parking heater, with the engine off, by using a remote control.
This remote control is also originally supplied by Webasto company and it's named Telestart T91.

Post #215717 3rd Feb 2014 10:26 pm
j00ppis

Finland 

Yea, you are right! missunderstanding! now i know more again =)! thanks alot but yea im talking about FBH which they didnt want to change it work like parking heater few years backward, dont know why.... but i could be fine whitout the remote control, just the timer would be nice but i have to check if someone could do this timer abit cheaper, not intrested to pay 1k euros for remote controlled, if DIY mans will manage whit 100euros! =)

Post #215719 3rd Feb 2014 10:29 pm
alex_pescaru

Go to any dealer and ask them to start a SDD diagnostic session and to run a service function that will install the "Telestart engine preheat". This will update the firmwares on the engine ECU and the FBH.
This will be no more than a few euros, the time taken for updating the software.

Then, if you have technical skills, you can build for yourself a remote FBH start.
Also a few euros (the components) and some spare time.

Just like the one I've explained here: http://www.disco3.co.uk/forum/topic106191.html

Or use a 1533 timer (found on ebay) for starting at predefined hours.
Just like attrs explained above...

Post #215720 3rd Feb 2014 10:35 pm
attrs

Since I'm quite green I have few questions about the remote activation system.

The second part of Y1 is connected to U1 pin 16?
Should there be a resistor between U1 5V and MCLR?
Will 0.25W resistors work or should I go with 0.125W?
Can LM2936 be replaced with LM78l05 (got few at hand)?
Will 0,6W D1/D2 5V6 work?

Post #215883 5th Feb 2014 3:14 pm
alex_pescaru

The second part of Y1 is connected to U1 pin 16?
No, Y1 is an integrated crystal oscillator and its output is connected to the microcontroller's clock in.
The microcontroller is configured with a High Speed input clock mode. See the source code.

Should there be a resistor between U1 5V and MCLR?
No, it's not necessary as the MCLR is configured as digital I/O. See the source code.

Will 0.25W resistors work or should I go with 0.125W?
Both will work OK. As the device is intended for harsh environment, I would go with 0.25W.

Can LM2936 be replaced with LM78l05 (got few at hand)?
Yes, it can, but LM2936's quiescent current (0.2mA) is much less than LM78L05's (3.5mA). The schematics and the software is conceived with the low power/consumption in mind. In the end it's a device that's always powered and it should draw as little current as possible.

Will 0,6W D1/D2 5V6 work?
Yes, it will. Any zenner diode that will limit the voltage to as close as possible of 5V. And the voltage divider is made with 10K resistors so the zenner's direct current is negligible. In fact the zenners are put there just for conformity.

Post #215916 5th Feb 2014 7:30 pm
attrs

Thanks Thumbs Up

Post #215952 6th Feb 2014 8:12 am
j00ppis

Finland 

Inchape finland installed today " webasto remote controller ", they found one problem..... They have readed fault codes and there was one fault that webasto has not started, and they didnt want to worrie me about it and they dont know if it is broken or not, they told i have to test it tomorrow morning because the temperature is to high and they cant test it Surprised? i asked, how much would it cost to fix this webasto, they told 7-800euros... huh! i quick checked from ebay how much 5kw webasto would cost, 200-300 pounds, so question? is it easy job to replace the webasto? as i looked manual it does not look so bad after all? any comments would be nice and support =)!

Post #220595 27th Mar 2014 2:45 pm
athelstan

My dear Lady's original Webasto FFBH began right from day to fill the cabin with foul smelling diesel fumes. For four months we complained and complained until eventually the supplying LR dealer swopped the unit out for a new one. He said it would take 3hrs - it actually took them around 5 so he said. Not a cost problem for us as it was covered under the new car warranty.

Post #220607 27th Mar 2014 5:19 pm
alex_pescaru

Wait until tomorrow.
They are robust and not so easily damageable.
Indeed, for start, the temp should be below +5 for ambient and a cold engine.

Post #220612 27th Mar 2014 6:21 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>