Forum-Gallery-Shop-Sponsors

« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > In Car Electronics > 2010 GS FM/DAB??
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 2 <12
Print this entire topic · 
Pegleg

Wales 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Santorini Black
Re: 2010 GS FM/DAB??

Andy85 wrote:
Hi All

I've recently bought a 2010 GS, it was advertised with DAB radio and says FM Digital on the unit. The manual says multiple pushes of the fm/am button should bring on the digital, but it doesn't.

Am I doing something stupid? Or is this NOT a DAB unit and the fm digital is just misleading?

Any help much appreciated!

Cheers

Andy

Was it advertised as having 'DAB' or did you assume that 'FM Digital' meant DAB?
Digital FM refers to the tuning method used. Modern radio circuits are superheterodyne. The PLL (phase locked loop) circuit replaces the old analogue Oscilator with a phase locked loop (digital). The rest of the circuits remain analogue (FM/AM) and not with DAB Muliplex decoding.
The words FM Digital are not misleading because that's exactly what it is as apposed to the old manual analogue weighted tuning dial.

Unless it was advertised as having 'DAB Digital', no one has tried to mislead or fob you off.
If it was, someone has quite simply made a mistake. Another member of the failed FL2 clutch/DMF club, twice.

Post #211343 17th Dec 2013 8:19 pm
matty D

2010 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Santorini Black

My 2010 car has DAB, although I rarely use it as the signal keeps dropping out depending on which area Im in. Unless you want some of the minority channels that are DAB only, Id just stick with good old FM Thumbs Up

Post #211354 17th Dec 2013 9:08 pm
Past master

United Kingdom 

Looks like analogue channels will now be maintained until 2020. Phase-out date has been repeatedly extended, mainly because of car radios. A high proportion of new cars are still sold without DAB. If you don't have it and want it, there are plug-in aftermarket receivers available (can't remember which but it has been discussed on here). I suspect that it will become increasingly irrelevant anyway as more stuff becomes available more cheaply via your phone!
See for example http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/accessories-t...-mini-test

Post #211388 18th Dec 2013 12:45 am
D8WYR

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 SE Auto Barolo Black

I really do miss my DAB. Radio that I had in my old vehicle. I have had my freelander for 3 weeks now but I have got my eye on this peace of kit, im going to get one in January will post back when I have fitted it to my 07 SE with some feed back.

http://www.dabonwheels.co.uk/Kinetic_digit...radio.html

Post #211426 18th Dec 2013 7:12 pm
Past master

United Kingdom 

That looks good. I think that all models have the DAB aerial installed even if radio not fitted. Maybe someone else can confirm that.

Post #211431 18th Dec 2013 8:46 pm
rchrdleigh

England 2011 Freelander 2 TD4 XS Manual Baltic Blue

DAB aerial is fitted to all vehicles, just no connections.
Easy way to check is if both rear side windows have lines on them the aerials are present.

Post #211437 18th Dec 2013 9:09 pm
Winslet

United Kingdom 

I am sure this has been covered before but both rear side windows are the same on all spec cars, driver's side is AM/FM and passenger's side is DAB.

When I first had my '07 plate car I thought the aerials were heated screen elements but couldn't work out why mine only had stud (like on a PP3 battery) but no connector on the passenger side. I was checking out an HSE in Sainbury's car park and could see it had a connector only to have the owner return as I peered at his window... he was cool about after I explained and pointed to my FL nearby... Laughing 2016 BMW X3 30d SE in red
MY2013 SD4 XS Firenze Red, 19" 10 spoke contrast paint wheels, Signature Strips, Grand Black Lacquer trim, Cold Climate Pack - gone!
2007 TD4 S Stornoway Grey - gone!

Post #211440 18th Dec 2013 9:42 pm
heyho

England 2009 Freelander 2 TD4 SE Manual Zermatt Silver

D8WYR wrote:
I really do miss my DAB. Radio that I had in my old vehicle. I have had my freelander for 3 weeks now but I have got my eye on this peace of kit, im going to get one in January will post back when I have fitted it to my 07 SE with some feed back.

http://www.dabonwheels.co.uk/Kinetic_digit...radio.html

has anybody looked into this option. I was wondering if it could utilise the DAB side window aerial.

If a car does not have DAB but has the aerial and the 'stud' connector doesn't it have any cabling from the aerial to the head unit either or is their a redundant connector somewhere in the dash.

If the FL DAB aerial could be utilised it would seem sensible to house this device in the boot using maybe the 12v feed there.

Anyone any ideas?

Post #211555 20th Dec 2013 10:14 am
Andy85

2010 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Auto Lago Grey

Hi - It was advertised with DAB, to be clear.

Andy 2010 FREELANDER 2 AUTO GS WITH 2011 FACELIFT, LAGO GREY, NAPOLI LEATHER INTERIOR.

BEAST.

Post #212616 2nd Jan 2014 11:31 am
Winslet

United Kingdom 

So what was the outcome with the dealer? 2016 BMW X3 30d SE in red
MY2013 SD4 XS Firenze Red, 19" 10 spoke contrast paint wheels, Signature Strips, Grand Black Lacquer trim, Cold Climate Pack - gone!
2007 TD4 S Stornoway Grey - gone!

Post #212669 2nd Jan 2014 5:35 pm
Andy85

2010 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Auto Lago Grey

So far I have been fobbed off and basically ignored, but I am taking the car in to them soon to have a couple of things looked at so I will be speaking to them in person.

Andy 2010 FREELANDER 2 AUTO GS WITH 2011 FACELIFT, LAGO GREY, NAPOLI LEATHER INTERIOR.

BEAST.

Post #212738 3rd Jan 2014 9:23 am
papashaun

Scotland 2012 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Ipanema Sand

As a general point I know some dealers on their websites show a " standard " description of what is on a vehicle
They put in the make & model and their system will pull in from a database somewhere the " normal " spec
Normally they will have a disclaimer at the bottom saying the detailed specs listed are the normal specs for that vehicle but the actual vehicle on sale may differ

Post #215414 31st Jan 2014 5:47 pm
Maru

South Africa 2012 Freelander 2 SD4 SE Auto Fuji White

Hi there, please assist I have a freelander 2 2012 SE model Whats a better option between installing a 7" tablet or a 7"garmin. I am interested in getting mainly gps but the tablet option looks premium(but seems too much work) previos threads relating to tablets require soldaring etc and circuit diagrams.... Is this also required with a garmin? 

Plus if I cant fit it myself-where can I go for a decent deal?
And finally what impact is this going to have on vehicle warranty?

Your help is highly appreciated. 

Post #215878 5th Feb 2014 2:39 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 2 of 2 <12