« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > Photos, Videos & Media > Flinders Ranges South Australia
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
Aussie Battler

Australia 2009 Freelander 2 TD4 SE Auto Stornoway Grey
Flinders Ranges South Australia

I would like to wish everybody at Freel2 a happy new year and share some photos of a day trip on merna Mora Station .To gain acess to the tracks a moderate fee is payable and it is well worth the money . The photos are in my gallery as I cant get them to go here
Doug

Post #214121 18th Jan 2014 6:56 am
mikehzz

Australia 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 SE Auto Lago Grey

Are you still in the Ranges? Lots of good places to go there. It's a pity that every 2nd station is now charging a fee to drive on their tracks but why not I suppose? The scenery is quite special there that's for sure. Camping in Brachina Gorge is nice.

Post #214141 18th Jan 2014 12:18 pm
Aussie Battler

fee

Mike
I thought exactly the same about fees but while doing the track I could see why ,the track is through a working sheep station and the owners have built and maintain the track with a d8 dozer . Also we got track notes pointing out places of interest as well as directions where no road existed . I am now a convert as I had one of the best days driving I have experinced as we had the whole place to ourselves except for the few sheep . The pictures were taken in Feb 2013 and I intend to go back to the Flinders as there is a lot to see and do
Doug

Post #214144 18th Jan 2014 12:35 pm
mikehzz

Australia 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 SE Auto Lago Grey

Have you taken the car via Chambers Pillar south of Alice yet? Last time I was up north I came down through Alice and did the Old Ghan track through Maryvale to the Pillar, then onto Mt Dare station, Oodnadatta, Marree and then a few days in the Flinders before heading home to Sydney. I see you are in Darwin...you could go home via the Birdsville track, up to Boulia then shoot back to the Territory along the Plenty Hwy. There's about 2-3 thousand kms of dirt roads for you. Smile

Post #214224 19th Jan 2014 11:47 am
Aussie Battler

Mike
We have not toured the Territory much in the last 20 years since we moved here and then we did it in a vk commodore . Lucky enough to be some of the last people to camp at Kings Canyon camp area ,also did the Mandatory Ayers Rock climb and toured the eastern McDonald Ranges .At that time the track to Altunga national park was bareley a goat track and we came across a pub just before the park ,at that time it was peak tourist season and there were less than half a dozen campers in the park . Decided to stop at the pub for a coldie and discovered the bloke managing the pub while the owner was on holiday was from my home town and lived a couple of streets away .The coldie turned into an all nighter. During the evening I asked why the owner had built a pub way out here when there was very few people about,the answer was that he only saw 1 or 2 vechicles a month then one week 6 vechicles went past his hut so He decided that it was now busy enough to start a pub .Not sure if it still exists might be worth a detour to check . Our next trip will probably be down to Perth in March to do a Green Oval Experience four wheel drive training course then tour south west Western Australia and return home to plan the Kimberly tour
Doug

Post #214471 22nd Jan 2014 8:07 am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1