Forum-Gallery-Shop-Sponsors

« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > General > wet windscreen
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 3 of 5 <12345>
Print this entire topic · 
Cobbet1

United Kingdom 2013 Freelander 2 SD4 S Manual Aintree Green

Paul1966, mine is a bit better since changing pollen filter and having ac regassed , moisture magnets from Lakeland about a fiver each, change colour when absorbed moisture, pop in microwave and then use again, they seem to help as well
Andy

Post #212885 4th Jan 2014 8:39 pm
Cobbet1

Hi all, when I got back to the car today after work it was misted up again, had a look inside and both front foot wells the carpet was wet, pulled up the passenger side a bit and there's no evidence of water underneath, could this be from the door seals? When it's park up at work its on a slight downwards slope, will look further over the weekend but any ideas? Have already looked at air con drain looked ok to me and the carpets weren't wet then.
Thanks
Andy

Post #214098 17th Jan 2014 6:58 pm
rt

England 2014 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Orkney Grey

Had a similar problem on my 07 GS. Turned out to be a leak on the screen, which was removed and resealed. Fortunately it was under warranty at the time.

Post #214110 17th Jan 2014 10:01 pm
Cobbet1

Spent today drying out the carpets, door seals look ok to me, but will wait until carpets dry before hosing doors down just to make sure, beginning to think that it may be the air con drain after all, over the last few weeks had ac on all the time to help with the misting, of course if it is the drain this will have been making it worse rather than better Neutral
Will perhaps try to pull hose off and then re attach , had a look at previous posts on subject and seems an awkward job to do, any one local to me ( camberley , surrey) done this before, am a bit unsure about fiddling with it in case I make it worse
Thanks
Andy

Post #214167 18th Jan 2014 7:07 pm
Pedro

England 2010 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Galway Green

The rear high-level brake light is known for leaking - water drops appear on the loadspace cover and water streaks down the inside of the rear window. I also noticed these patches on my windscreen lately and have attributed it to the rear brake light problem as I have the symptoms I have described. FL2 HSE Auto Galway Green
Evoque SD4 Auto Blue.
FL1 HSE TD4 Manual Black - Gone.
RR Classic V8 EFI - Gone

Post #214182 18th Jan 2014 9:11 pm
Cobbet1

Had a good look this morning , ac hose is firmly attached and is dry around it, as said before dubious about pulling it off in case it makes it worse. Left newspaper in foot wells last night , had heavy rain but no evidence of water from doors!
Can the Ali looking sections to the side of transmission tunnel be taken off for access to drain tube , looks likely but unsure why no one else has done it this way
About to soak car with hose!!!
Andy

Post #214227 19th Jan 2014 11:53 am
topaz

United Kingdom 2013 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Auto Mauritius Blue

Have a slightly similar problem with my MY2013 FL2. The windscreen and side windows seem to mist up in this damp and wet weather we are having. I have to switch on the demister for it to clear but after a short time it mists up again and have to continually use the demister thorought the journey.
Only noticed it in this bad weather and it was not apparant in warmer conditions. It is going for its first service in March, if it continues will ask LR to have a look.

Post #214230 19th Jan 2014 12:03 pm
Cobbet1

Update:
Had side panels off tunnel all week, kitchen roll in and around air con drain , 30 miles back and forth to work and then today longer 3/4 hr run each way approx 60 miles, all paper dry as a bone , so think I can rule out ac drain, also put paper under car. When I got back 1/2hour later paper wet so drain is definitely exiting car.
Carpets are now dry, so will keep an eye on them, windscreen still misting tho, checked water levels last week and today , none missing , so hopefully that rules out heater matrix?
Between Xmas and new year did drive through some deep water on a flooded road , not more than 500mm but was fast running, thinking wet carpets might be from that , through steering column rubber?
So now thinking it might be leaking screen?
Can't suss it out and it bugs me, no real pattern to screen misting, ac on or off makes no difference
Any further ideas
Andy

Post #214835 25th Jan 2014 5:32 pm
BossBob

England 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Baltic Blue

Hi
I've driven through water higher than 500mm and didn't get a drop inside. There might be a bung or rubber missing. I saw something about using a smoke generator inside the car then looking for traces of smoke outside to check for leaks.

Post #214856 25th Jan 2014 8:22 pm
Past master

United Kingdom 

@Topaz,
I have noticed the same with my MY13 - not a problem I had with previous car. Keeping the aircon on all the time should cure it though.

Post #214868 26th Jan 2014 12:33 am
Cobbet1

Ok after driving around yesterday , car was misted up later when I took and collected my son, I have a theory that it's a slight leak on the heater matrix.
On the drive yesterday ac on no problems, but supposing it's leaking slightly and misting in heater vents, then when the car is turned off it tries to find a way out and condensates on screen above vents.
Also there does seem to be a slightly oily residue on screen which could be from anti freeze, although I can't say it smells of it
Is this plausible?
So two questions
1 how accessible is heater matrix
2 thoughts on using something like stop leak on it, although I'm not to sure about this stuff

Andy
Ps am going to clean screen with vinegar solution as understand that dirty screen will attract mor than clean one

Post #214880 26th Jan 2014 10:51 am
Past master

United Kingdom 

When I've had a leaking heater matrix, there was a definite smell of anti-freeze, but I suppose it depends on the size of the leak. Mine was so bad that it actually squirted coolant when I accelerated hard! This was in a Rover SD4, not a Freelander, so I can't help with location. Also I'm not sure whether the anti-freeze fitted to the FR2 is smelly.
I would strongly advise against putting any sealant in the system. Modern systems are much more sensitive and you could easily gum up something important.

Post #214882 26th Jan 2014 11:04 am
Cobbet1

That's sought of what I was thinking past master, am I right in thinking the cooling system can be pressure tested and if so, it would show up if the matrix is leaking
Andy

Post #214954 26th Jan 2014 9:56 pm
Past master

United Kingdom 

I think it would probably show up, unless the leak was heat-sensitive. I have had a system pressure tested in the past and show no leak, despite having a cracked cylinder head!
A visual inspection of the cooling system would be a more reliable bet in this case, but as I don't know the location of the matrix I don't know if that's possible. Sorry.

Post #214973 26th Jan 2014 11:31 pm
Cobbet1

Couple of weeks further on now , coolant level still the same so guessing matrix ok, do have water getting in the boot though, small amount passenger side , seems to be coming in , in the corner perhaps under rear light, last week had the hose on it at all angles and no water in , but it's coming from somewhere, have had light out , nothing obvious also checked hi level light again nothing , definitely see where it comes in and follows weld line/mastic down into wheel well.
Andy

Post #216227 8th Feb 2014 10:45 am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 3 of 5 <12345>