« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > Technical > Reduced engine performance light
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Print this entire topic · 
Boroboy

United Kingdom 
Reduced engine performance light

My wife was driving our 58 FL2 2.2 tonight. Engine cut out whilst driving & the repl message came on, she then managed to bump start it down a hill & limped it home. Checked for codes with my basic d900 reader, came up with one code:- P01030-Mass or volume airflow "A" circuit high input. Was a pending code though. I deleted code, but engine still in limp mode. No further codes showing.
Could this be caused by a clogged fuel filter? That's my guess.

Engine went into limp mode around 10 months ago, codes as follow:- P0087 & P0088 Something to do with fuel rail pressure. I had a different code reader at the time, didn't pick any up. Used Land Rover assist back then. Was caused by a clogged fuel filter. Changed it then, has been A1, until today.

Any idea's?
Many thanks. Landy has now gone.

Post #210199 7th Dec 2013 9:14 pm
Mjjamieson

United Kingdom 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 XS Manual Sumatra Black

Mine did the same on the wife yesterday morning, changed fuel filter 10 month ago when the reduced power warning last came on. Spoke to North East 4x4 and stratstone and I have changed the filter again this morning.

There is an issue with fuel from the refineries in the North East and South east or west.. There has been an investigation by LR and there is a new standard coming out that will resolve the fuel issues in 6 months time.

There is a 5 page document that Stratstone have but could not get to see it!!

I will let you know over the next few days if the new filter has resolved my issue.

A friend has a new Mondeo and has has a new filter after 6 Months

Time will tell. 2008 XS TD4, Sumatra Black, Manual.

Post #210213 7th Dec 2013 10:25 pm
Boroboy

United Kingdom 

Thanks for info.
A mate of mine changed his fuel filter on his 08 Focus d (was clogged too). He had it changed 6 months previous.
Less than a year since we changed the landys, only covered 7k since. Prev changed the filter due to water in the fuel.
Just not sure is this p0103 code is related? Did you have any codes stored?
Might be just as cheap for me to change the filter, to see it it sorts it. Now it's out of warranty. Landy has now gone.

Post #210215 7th Dec 2013 10:40 pm
Mjjamieson

United Kingdom 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 XS Manual Sumatra Black

Interesting read...

http://online.gateshead.gov.uk/docushare/d...nation.doc 2008 XS TD4, Sumatra Black, Manual.

Post #210220 7th Dec 2013 11:17 pm
Boroboy

United Kingdom 

Mine is certainly not cold related, neither has it affected the starting. Not sure it's fuel related yet. Hope so, as this will probably be the cheapest option of changing the fuel filter, yet again. If it's the case, simply not good enough. Considering the high price we now pay for fuel. What neck of the woods are you from? I'm from guis. You didn't buy your last batch of fuel from Sainsburys at boro, did you? That's were my wife filled it up, last night. Landy has now gone.

Post #210230 7th Dec 2013 11:55 pm
Sparepart

United Kingdom 2013 Freelander 2 SD4 Dynamic Auto Orkney Grey

Hi. Just had same problem today. Reduced engine performance, orange engine warning light. LR Assist diagnosed bunged up fuel filter. Replaced filter and back to normal. Excelent service by LR Assist. Only done 12k SD4 from new so would not expect this. LR guy mentioned dodgy fuel and biofuel content. Something definitely not right with fuel in the North East given this and others experience.

Post #210238 8th Dec 2013 12:58 am
Boroboy

United Kingdom 

Update,
Seems to be more intermittent now, started it this morn. Low engine performance light came on briefly, now running OK. Last time I had a fuel filter issue, was experiencing the same intermittent symptoms. Usually driving up a bank would cause the lepl message to come on & landy to go into limp mode. Going to change fuel filter tomorrow or tues, see how it goes. At least if it is the fuel filter, I now know what code to look out for (P0103). Time will tell. Landy has now gone.

Post #210255 8th Dec 2013 11:32 am
Greybeard

United Kingdom 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Auto Zermatt Silver

I changed my fuel filter about a year ago with one bought from Unipart (local to me and I wanted it quickly). After about 2 months the car repeatedly went into REP mode. I would stop, switch off and restart and all would be well until next time, usually when I was at large throttle openings. No codes. I changed the filter for a second time with one from Dan at Duckworths this time, and no further trouble since. When I took the dodgy filter off, the drained fuel looked like one of those 'snowstorm' ornaments, it was so full of what looked like disintegrated filter paper. I have read that there are a lot of counterfeit filters out there and I am I convinced I had got one of those. Anyway, no further problems. I think I will get all my filters for Dan in future!

Post #210258 8th Dec 2013 11:57 am
clevelandy

England 

Had reduced engine performance light come on last Saturday. Had just filled up at BP Garage at Wolviston by the A19. Managed to limp to destination and called Landrover Assist out.

Guy turned up and wasn't very surprised to learn where I had driven from. He said that there was an issue with a 'bad batch' of diesel that was affecting garages from Teesside to Ripon. This had come out of a Teesside refinery apparently.

Changed fuel filter and everything was fine.

3rd year on the trot I've had the fuel filter changed due to poor quality diesel, although this year its a different car. Made a conscious effort not to fill up with supermarket fuel after the last 2 winter experiences but it would appear that poor fuel can get into even the most respectable of establishments.................... .

Post #210279 8th Dec 2013 2:18 pm
tonyc

United Kingdom 2011 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Auto Santorini Black
Fuel filter recall

Had a recall notice by TVLR 3 weeks ago for problems with fuel and existing filter, done under warranty, no more problems since. Tony

Post #210354 8th Dec 2013 7:34 pm
Boroboy

United Kingdom 

Greybeard,
I used a landy filter last time. Was thinking about replacing it with a copy, thinking it may last longer. Probably stick with another landy one again. Just seems to eat filters, unless it does not take alot to block them these days. Landy has now gone.

Post #210380 8th Dec 2013 10:15 pm
Boroboy

United Kingdom 

Thanks for all your input guys.
I've just changed the filter today, all seems good for the moment.
I will be changing it now on at least a yearly basis. Landy has now gone.

Post #210447 9th Dec 2013 4:45 pm
Greybeard

United Kingdom 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Auto Zermatt Silver

Thumbs Up

Post #210497 9th Dec 2013 8:45 pm
LuckyTrucker

United Kingdom 2010 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Auto Baltic Blue

Must admit I am a little bit concerned about these "filter failures" We have been LR owners for over 10 years now with the newest being a 1997 Disco. I have always tried to service it twice a year and so far not had any filter problems. Not a FL2 owner at present but will be picking mine up in a few weeks time. I live in Hampshire so the chances of having any Teeside fuel are slim. Must agmit though supermarket fuel has to be a lot cheaper than fuel company fuel before I will buy it. I am buying a FL2 because due to a stroke I am not so fit to be able to do my own maintenance so it will be done by an independant.

Cheers.

Post #211458 19th Dec 2013 1:06 am
fisha

Add me to the list of reduced performance as well. Just come on, and can only attribute it to filling up from a Gulf station which in hindsight has been known to let the forecourt tanks go low as well.

So now trying to run around sourcing a filter and primer tool a few days before christmas ... ho ho ho .... not.

Post #211467 19th Dec 2013 9:52 am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>