« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > General > SHATTERED REAR WINDOW
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
Steve

United Kingdom 
SHATTERED REAR WINDOW

Hi all - has anybody had there rear screen shatter for no apparent reason whilst statonery - I have.
The car was parked on the drive Tuesday this week and at 08.00 hours it just shattered but stayed in place with no apparent impact point or dead kamikaze ducks or swallows nearby.
We contacted Lancaster Reading who had not heard of another case but thought it might be a warranty claim but advised us to get it done on insurance as Landrover would take ages to investigate and require photos, evidence etc. as well as actually getting a new screen. Lancaster did contact Landrover and were told it could be vandalism so they would not be cover it under warranty. I explained we lived 1/2mile down a country track and even pizza deliveries could'nt find us let alone a rampant vandal with a grudge against freelanders at 8 in the morning.
It is being replaced this Sunday hopefully-it looks as if it is just stuck on the rubber seal rather than within a frame.

Apart from that and the command shift not engaging intermittently, and the sunroof recall next week and the crap mpg (22/24 generally - 32 on a long run) its a brilliant car even after a boxster.
---------------------------------------------------------
freelander 2 TD4 HSE auto + roofrails zenons Stornaway

Post #20666 22nd May 2008 1:18 pm
Matei

Romania 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 SE Manual Izmir Blue

If the window is not correctly fitted strains appear and in time cracks or shatter might happen. This is not usual with factory fitted windows as they have lots of experience and also the best tools but I guess it can happen.If the window pane did not fit correctly in the frame than this can have caused the shatter.
Can happen to all makes http://www.topix.com/forum/autos/bmw-x3/TQ7OQ6PFDT4BCRNIS FREELANDER 2 TD4 SE (XS UK) IZMIR BLUE SIDE STEPS COLD PACK BI-XENON TINTED WINDOWS - AND PROUD OF HER

Post #20667 22nd May 2008 1:29 pm
Steve

United Kingdom 

thanks -Yes read that.
The rear glass however is not in a frame just stuck on - i suoppose the point where the wiper motor attaches could cause stress though.

Post #20668 22nd May 2008 1:44 pm
jules1967

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 SE Manual Tambora Flame
Re: SHATTERED REAR WINDOW

Steve wrote:

the crap mpg (22/24 generally - 32 on a long run) its a brilliant car even after a boxster.

Ah - someone else with 22mpg. I though it was just me.
To be fair, I've had it well into the 40s on a run but short stop/start the mpg drops to v8 territory.
Lovely car though. (mine's a manual so I guess 6th make the difference) 07 Freelander 2 TD4SE Tambora Flame, side steps, privacy glass, mud flaps, boot liner and a tow bar. Ok it's the Wifes but she lets me drive it occasionally - if I've been good!

Post #20676 22nd May 2008 3:30 pm
Matei

Romania 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 SE Manual Izmir Blue

Probably right. I did not have a look to see how the rear glass is fixed . Will do. Window manufacture stress ? I know -these days it's not suppose to happen but there is no fault free technology r warranty would be useless.
Superior technologies ight exist but would not make sense from the commercial POV.
Guess you will have to claim on insurance as in this case claiming on warranty would probably take ages. Anyway maybe you should write to LR about this and than latter see what they say. ight be that they are not aware of a rear windscreen potential problem.
Thumbs Up Could have been worse and happen while on holiday FREELANDER 2 TD4 SE (XS UK) IZMIR BLUE SIDE STEPS COLD PACK BI-XENON TINTED WINDOWS - AND PROUD OF HER

Post #20677 22nd May 2008 3:30 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1