« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > Maintenance & Modifications > First Service
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Print this entire topic · 
dannyboy

2007 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Manual Zermatt Silver
First Service

Hi all, been a while since I posted but been enjoying the car.

My first 'problem' has just arisen though.

I bought my FL2 as an ex-demo from Lookers in Chelmsford. The car is an 07 plate registered end of May07. Anyway the car had only done about 5,000 miles when I bought it in Feb as it was owned by a salesman that lived locally.

Well a card dropped onto my door mat a few weeks backs telling me that the first service was due as the car is now 1yr old. I was very surprised to receive this so soon, in truth I hadn't even thought about it when I bought the car - I hold my hands up to this mistake.

Anyhow I called the dealer and made some enquires because I remembered something I had heard about Landrover servicing used cars if the service falls within 3mths of you buying the car. So after chatting with the dealer and expressing my surprise that I should have to cover the cost of the first service (quoted over £400) so soon after buying the car. It turns out that with the exact dates I miss out on this 3mth period by 7 DAYS.
I argued my surprise at the 7 days and have managed to get them to cover half the cost of the service. Even easy when you consider that the only reason I bought and collected the car when I did was because they wanted it off the books for their sales figures before the 08 plates arrived.

Intially I was happy with this but as time has gone on I am starting to feel much more - why should I. Sure I understand that a cut off is a cut off but 7 days ?!?!?! - It is just sticking in my throat that I own the car for just over 3mth and have only done 1000 more miles since I bought it and yet I have to pay the other half towards the service. In addition the car has a squeak from the rear brakes where the handbrake fails to disengage fully and after being in the dealer once they still have not fixed the problem.

So I ask wise forum - should I just shut up and be thankful for the half or am I right to fight for them to cover the full cost.

Any advice or suggestions welcome - and remember that the £200 saved is £200 more for mods Very Happy

Post #20636 22nd May 2008 9:26 am
muddywheels

England 

I would be very annoyed too Censored

What a coincidence them sending a card just after the deadline Confused

I would not want to pay for this service especialy if only done 1000 miles Evil or Very Mad

The sales woman who sold me my FL2 told me it needed servicing at 15000 miles and when I asked what about every 12 months - said no only every 15000 miles Shocked I did not argue but I knew she was wrong Rolling Eyes

I would push for free service and speak to LR customer services if not getting any satisfaction Thumbs Up

Post #20637 22nd May 2008 10:14 am
phil_wkl

Australia 

Difficult one. At what time could they say the '3 months' deadline has been passed? 1, 2 days, 2 3, 4 weeks later or even exactly 3 months ( Shocked ) ...it could go on. My own opinion is that they reasonably decided to cover half the bill where they could have stuck to the letter of the T&Cs. Not saying its entirely your fault for not checking because I understand during buying it can get a little exciting and things are missed but it was a used vehicle coming up close to one year old where the annual service was due. You could pursue it further with the manager but I personally think its reasonable. Phil

Post #20638 22nd May 2008 10:18 am
xxtrail

United Kingdom 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Auto Santorini Black

It seems very mean of them, not to have covered the cost of the whole service, as surely they had already given the car a good 'going over' before putting it up for sale as part of their 'approved used car scheme', or whatever it's called.

Even though neither party mentioned the servicing when you bought it, they could have just whipped her in and changed the oil, if they hadn't already done so, and checked fluid levels and stamped the book, as that should be all she needs. When buying a car like that one, you would expect to get the best part of a year's motoring without paying for something that should have been done before they handed it over.

I'd also question the cost as my stealer's service menu shows £328 for the 1st service, not £400+. Get quotes from other LR dealers and if they're cheaper, use them as part of the argument.

I'd say push them to cover it all. Was GS TD4 Auto, Privacy, Santorini with Tundra & Alpaca, Cold Climate Pack. Traded for Discovery Sport HSE Auto.

Post #20641 22nd May 2008 10:28 am
dannyboy

muddywheels wrote:

I would not want to pay for this service especialy if only done 1000 miles Evil or Very Mad

The sales woman who sold me my FL2 told me it needed servicing at 15000 miles and when I asked what about every 12 months - said no only every 15000 miles Shocked I did not argue but I knew she was wrong Rolling Eyes

I would push for free service and speak to LR customer services if not getting any satisfaction Thumbs Up

This answer I like Thumbs Up

phil_wkl wrote:

Difficult one. At what time could they say the '3 months' deadline has been passed? 1, 2 days, 2 3, 4 weeks later or even exactly 3 months ( ) ...it could go on. My own opinion is that they reasonably decided to cover half the bill where they could have stuck to the letter of the T&Cs. Not saying its entirely your fault for not checking because I understand during buying it can get a little exciting and things are missed but it was a used vehicle coming up close to one year old where the annual service was due. You could pursue it further with the manager but I personally think its reasonable.

This answer I no like Big Cry

But in reality I fear this is the right answer. I guess they have to call and end to the 3mths at some point otherwise it isn't a cut off - its a floating option. And I guess a fair portion of the blame does fall with me as I should have insisted on this at the time - guess I just assumed that it would be done by the dealer as it was that close to being 1yr old. Clearly I should not assume anything. I guess the thing that also bugs me is that if I have picked the car up one weekend later - as I had wanted - it would have been in the 3mths !!!

Post #20643 22nd May 2008 10:32 am
Matei

Romania 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 SE Manual Izmir Blue

dannyboy wrote:
muddywheels wrote:

This answer I like Thumbs Up

phil_wkl wrote:

Difficult one. At what time could they say the '3 months' deadline has been passed? 1, 2 days, 2 3, 4 weeks later or even exactly 3 months ( ) ...it could go on. My own opinion is that they reasonably decided to cover half the bill where they could have stuck to the letter of the T&Cs. Not saying its entirely your fault for not checking because I understand during buying it can get a little exciting and things are missed but it was a used vehicle coming up close to one year old where the annual service was due. You could pursue it further with the manager but I personally think its reasonable.

This answer I no like Big Cry

But in reality I fear this is the right answer. I guess they have to call and end to the 3mths at some point otherwise it isn't a cut off - its a floating option. And I guess a fair portion of the blame does fall with me as I should have insisted on this at the time - guess I just assumed that it would be done by the dealer as it was that close to being 1yr old. Clearly I should not assume anything. I guess the thing that also bugs me is that if I have picked the car up one weekend later - as I had wanted - it would have been in the 3mths !!!

Yes but than you would not have enjoyed your FL2 for ONE WHOLE week and now this would have been Big Cry
The dealer over here also told me that service is due every 24000 Km and not every year but I am sure he is wrong as at least the engine oil must be changed. FREELANDER 2 TD4 SE (XS UK) IZMIR BLUE SIDE STEPS COLD PACK BI-XENON TINTED WINDOWS - AND PROUD OF HER

Post #20647 22nd May 2008 10:49 am
dannyboy

xxtrail wrote:
It seems very mean of them, not to have covered the cost of the whole service, as surely they had already given the car a good 'going over' before putting it up for sale as part of their 'approved used car scheme', or whatever it's called.

Even though neither party mentioned the servicing when you bought it, they could have just whipped her in and changed the oil, if they hadn't already done so, and checked fluid levels and stamped the book, as that should be all she needs. When buying a car like that one, you would expect to get the best part of a year's motoring without paying for something that should have been done before they handed it over.

I'd also question the cost as my stealer's service menu shows £328 for the 1st service, not £400+. Get quotes from other LR dealers and if they're cheaper, use them as part of the argument.

I'd say push them to cover it all.

This was also a good point about the cost and made me call a couple of other dealers.

One is an authorised local garage - got the number off the landrover website - and the only thing they dont actually do is sell the cars and the other a dealer in the same network.

Lookers Chelmsford £432.11 (where car was bought from)

Lookers Bishops Stortford £432.11 plus a 20% discount if serviced this month = £345.69

Taylors (Landrover Authorised) £301.59

Its a joke !! And the best thing is that the Taylors place is 4 miles from my home !!!

Post #20648 22nd May 2008 10:53 am
phil_wkl

Australia 

From what I understand, service is 15k miles or 1 year whichever is sooner. Phil

Post #20656 22nd May 2008 11:50 am
muddywheels

England 

I knew that but sales did not - or pretended not to Confused

Post #20657 22nd May 2008 11:52 am
radney1303

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Baltic Blue

Know this does not help but when I have bought ex demo cars in the past, regardless of how low the mileage, have always insisited on a service as part of the deal.

Post #20738 23rd May 2008 8:32 am
jules1967

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 SE Manual Tambora Flame

radney1303 wrote:
Know this does not help but when I have bought ex demo cars in the past, regardless of how low the mileage, have always insisited on a service as part of the deal.

I normally make it a deal breaker, but then on the merc and fl, both were exactly 1 year old and due a service anyway so they did it anyway. There are internal dealer rules for most of these things. I spent over an hour argung for new tyres on the merc (it has 245/45/17s @£150 ea Big Cry so it was worth arguing about ) but they wouldn't budge, they replaced the rears as they were below the official limit of 3mm but the fronts were 4.5mm so they just wouldn't play. 07 Freelander 2 TD4SE Tambora Flame, side steps, privacy glass, mud flaps, boot liner and a tow bar. Ok it's the Wifes but she lets me drive it occasionally - if I've been good!

Post #20742 23rd May 2008 9:01 am
Donmac

England 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 S Manual Zermatt Silver

I would check service price. My dealer is £265 for first service. Their having a laugh £400. disco td5 gone at last.

Post #20763 23rd May 2008 1:12 pm
Dave

Scotland 2012 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Auto Indus Silver

Just phoned my local dealer (T&C Aberdeen) from where the car was bought and they're quoting £344.93 Shocked

Startstone down in Perth are quoting £355.00 for the same service Shocked Shocked ______________________
2011 Full Fat RR 4.4 TDV8
2012 FL2 SD4 Auto HSE
2013 Kawasaki Versys 650

Post #20766 23rd May 2008 1:27 pm
John L

United Kingdom 

This is ridiculous.
The amount you would have paid for the motor,and the profit the dealer would have made the car should have had a service prior to delivery, end of story. As for the cost, as others have said the price seems high. My first service down in kent was £312 so I would be inclined to fight on.
As an aside, my wife has had several Corsas over the years which we have bought on Network Q usually at a few months old. They have always had a Net Q sevice prior to delivery and the instructions were next service due after 1 year or 20000 miles!
This was even true of her current car which had just 4000 miles on it and just a few monthe old, but as part of the Net Q preperation had a full inspection (with checklist) and an oil/filter change.
Surely our Freelanders deserve similar treatment!

Post #20903 25th May 2008 11:40 am
snappa

Scotland 2013 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Buckingham Blue

Dealers dont really make a huge profit from sales of cars.

It's the servicing dept where the real profit comes from........

Post #20933 26th May 2008 7:48 am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>