Home > My Freelander 2 > Mini review MY13 model
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
EYorkshire

Mini review MY13 model

MY63 SD4 XS

My thoughts of it in the first few days:

First thing I did was removed the mat clips other than the drivers, talk about going overboard Surprised they were not compatible with my LR rubbers.

My facelift SD4 MY11 suffered from quite a bad delay when attempting to accelerate into roundabouts, out of junctions etc, in fact anytime a shift from brake pedal to accelerator was required. The new MY13 is greatly improved in this respect and 'bum clenching' is not needed anymore.

Although my previous car was quiet, it seems that soundproofing has been improved yet again, quieter ride and engine noise more insulated.

Auto changes are noticeably smoother and with a very light throttle pedal the change up is imperceptible, probably all down to software.

Absolutely love the sat nav/audio and phone touchscreen, it's intuitive, well laid out and every bit of information you might need is there. This has made the central dash less cluttered now the phone/radio buttons have moved to the touchscreen. Also the touchscreen system, because it is a flash disc is instantaneous in start up, no DVD's and all countries are preloaded.

When using the sat nav for destination it additionally shows the next turn and distance graphic in between the temp and fuel gauge in the 'message centre' display behind the steering wheel, so just a quick lowering of the eyes to confirm the turn.

Centre console covered storage is filled with the various audio inputs so not a lot of room in there, but cup holders have improved.

Finding it strange with the lighting and fogs moved onto a stalk but begining to adjust to it and easier to come to grips with than I thought it would be.

It seems that the windscreen wipers when not in 'Auto' actually have a true intermittent wipe also but still dependent upon road speed, a better touch.

I keep attempting to 'dock' my key fob but keyless start is so much better. It's now a case of unlocking, put fob in my pocket, jump in, start and away. I'm not saying it is the best when compared with others out there, but much more user friendly.

The 'fob' on my old MY11 had raised buttons whereas with this one the buttons are nearly flush, this makes me want to use my nail rather than finger so 'fob' membrane could eventually get pierced.

I have the premium Meridian system with I believe 11 speakers plus 'woofer', can't notice an improvement over my old one but then again I do wear a hearing aid at times so probably not the best one to comment. Also there appears to be more volume control in 'setup' over all differing applications.

Parking sensors, activation now brings up a large 'plan' graphic of the car on the 7" display showing different colours when detection of objects are seen,

Fuel economy seems no better nor worse than my previous SD4, but then again it doesn't particularly interest me.

Previous car had a rattle from drivers window (had to release upward tension by tiny amount) and door card, this one no rattles or squeaks as yet, seems well screwed together.

The new style speedo only has increments of 20mph (ie 10/30/50/70) so it's good to see a quite large permanent digital readout in the message centre.

The shine only lasted one day, black is Censored to keep clean.

My previous SD4 was fault free in it's nearly three years, I'm hoping for the same with this one.

Last edited by EYorkshire on 21st Oct 2013 1:14 pm. Edited 5 times in total

Post #203858 20th Oct 2013 11:58 am
ad210358

England 

Good comprehensive write up. Glad your enjoying it and yes Black is a Censored to keep clean, get the Werkstatt out, it makes it much easier Thumbs Up p****d off with a Digital Keyboard Warrior

Post #203859 20th Oct 2013 12:11 pm
chicken george

United Kingdom 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 XS Manual Santorini Black

towing a caravan will increase the air swirl turbulance and deposit road film all over the car, mine doesnt suffer this and washes easily.

other than that I use cirrus bling to shine it up after briefly washing it with a hose At work
At home

"I can't always believe facts I read on the web" - Charles Dickens

winner by default of the tractor vs caravan race

Post #203863 20th Oct 2013 12:43 pm
ad210358

England 

Also staying off the roads around Boroughbridge will keep it cleaner, Censored farmers in that area cover the roads in what should stay in the fields. p****d off with a Digital Keyboard Warrior

Post #203866 20th Oct 2013 1:07 pm
MidlandRover

England 2014 Freelander 2 SD4 Metropolis LE Auto Santorini Black

Glad you're enjoying your new car where did you buy from?.

Post #203871 20th Oct 2013 1:18 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1