Forum-Gallery-Shop-Sponsors

« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > General > New motor; time to help me choose!
Which would you go for?:
Evoque
7%
 7%  [4]
FL2
68%
 68%  [37]
Jaaag...
18%
 18%  [10]
Vauxhall Victor. Sorry... Ampera
5%
 5%  [3]
Total Votes: 54

Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 3 <123>
Print this entire topic · 
Tigger

United Kingdom 

Oldgeezer:

"well I had the same dilemma, except the Ampere, had an Ampere at work along with some choice others and real issues when they went wrong !"

Please, tell me more...

Post #202543 9th Oct 2013 9:13 pm
LRswe

2010 Freelander 2 TD4_e GS Manual Zermatt Silver

You already know,

You asked us for an alternative to a high riding 4x4, and that means you dont really need one.

It just has to be the Jag.

Post #202551 9th Oct 2013 9:36 pm
taztastic

England 

Interesting at this stage that out of 17 Fl2 owners more than half would like something else Laughing

Post #202552 9th Oct 2013 9:41 pm
lespes

2011 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Auto Indus Silver

Had to look up the Vaux Amp and can now confirm my intial thought.

Not the EWOK unless your a mobile hairdresser or an old Granny which is all i seem to see driving them.

Post #202554 9th Oct 2013 9:49 pm
Badger1970

United Kingdom 2013 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Lux Auto Baltic Blue

Tigger wrote:
Who's voted for the Vauxhall Cresta again then?!

I did Laughing just couldn't resist it me old fruit..... Foraging near Gaydon....
覧覧覧覧覧覧覧
MY13 HSE Lux SD4, Baltic Blue - current, 30,000> miles without fault
MY12 HSE 2.2 SD4, Sumatra Black - gone after 10 months/43,000 fault-free miles

Post #202558 9th Oct 2013 10:11 pm
j77

Scotland 

Another Fl2 is what I would choose. The Evoque is a nice motor but I prefer my Fl2

Can't comment on the rest, other than the fact I like the look of the Jag. 21MY Defender 90 S 3.0 D200

Post #202560 9th Oct 2013 10:16 pm
EYorkshire

Has to be another FL2, I have looked at my alternatives from Ford, Vauxhall, Volkswagen, Honda etc and they are all more 'modern' by Freelander
standards but just don't cut it.
Granted my purchasing reasons differ from yours as mine is a private purchase with no benefits whatsoever, just a waste of money Laughing but like you I have enjoyed driving it the last two and half years with total reliability so am chancing another on that basis.

Post #202562 9th Oct 2013 10:40 pm
Hicksy

United Kingdom 2011 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Fuji White

Tigger I know some one who put winter tyres on a brand new jag last winter in the snow we had and the thing went every where, they had no problems at all , they even had to leave there BMW x5 at home and take the jag, my vote would be dam don't know now, it's between the jag and the fl2 , I have gone off the 駲voue a little , Thumbs Up 

Click image to enlarge

Freelander gone
Audi sold
Volvo xc60 r design coming

Post #202571 10th Oct 2013 6:50 am
SimonB

United Kingdom 2011 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Auto Stornoway Grey

Had several XFs now as courtesy cars recently including 2 Sportbrakes. I do like the XF, in particular the handling and ride comfort, but then neither are great in the FL2, so perhaps any modern saloon would feel the same.

I am not convinced by the interior, I appreciate that it is relatively new, but the wood finish at least makes it look quite dated to me, and the revolving air vents are a bit 1970s sci-fi.

The Sportbrake is very long, I was quite surprised, and whilst litre for litre the load spaces might compare to the FL2 I would think the FL2's is far easier to use, but then I'm tall so would have to bend alot.

I thought the headlamps on the XF were terrible, quite often leaving me with very little visibility with approaching vehicles. Maybe they needed adjusting, but I never had them long enough to find the time to fiddle with them.

I did like the new touchscreen, but that would be available in a new FL2.

The biggest surprise for me though was that what would put me off moving out of the FL2 is the driving position. In the XF, and a passenger in the other half's boxster, I feel like I'm being dragged along the ground, and visibility seems very much reduced.

So I think I'd pick the FL2 (or some other high-riding vehicle) over the XF. From a practicality point of view I prefer the FL2.

In fact I wouldn't think the vehicles really were comparable, except as a means of getting from A to B, unless you really don't need any of the features of the FL2. So to me it would come down to benefits of a 4x4 vs the comfort and driveability of the XF.

Post #202601 10th Oct 2013 1:11 pm
Wilco44

England 

Had an evoke as a courtesy car for the day the other week when mine in for service. Driving position not as good, could not seem to get comfortable and felt very restricted sort off cocooned in the seat. Very poor visibility out of rear window. Ride was also noisier and bumpier. LCD screen was bigger and liked the aircon controls with digital readout. Boot was bigger than expected but only kids would fit in the rear seats. Best thing was the panoramic sunroof better than mine although you can't open it.

Glad I tried it but happy to get back to mine Cool

No surprise that 60% voting for FL2 bit like asking turkey's if they like Xmas Laughing Disco 4 HSE SDV6 Orkney Grey
Gone FL2 MY13 XS TD4 Manual Orkney Grey

Post #202652 10th Oct 2013 9:12 pm
Gazzerman

United Kingdom 2013 Freelander 2 TD4 Dynamic Manual Firenze Red

Hi all, i was in the same situation 5 months ago. Time to order new car for work, shall i go with a normal car, looked at XF, C class, Volvo S60 or go for 4WD. Wanted something sporty but with my job i do spend alot of time in the country side and would wreck above cars. Love the styling of the Jag but felt to enclosed when driving it. So thoughts turned to 4WD, looked at CRV, Rav 4, Kuga, XC60, Nissan, Mitsibushi, Disco,s, FR2 and Evoques. Our works carpark full of these and A5,BMW etc, so got to drive loads of them. Did like all of them, all got pros and cons, prices on contracts were fairly similar apart from the Disco and Evoque which were nearly double the rest. If i was given any of the above i wouldnt complain, but decided on a Dynamic FR2 which is being deliverd November. Went for the FR2, just ticked more of the boxes than the rest and also locally built, brother makes parts for them and couple friends build Landys. Gaz

Post #202654 10th Oct 2013 10:06 pm
rjc1944

England 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Stornoway Grey

I changed to Mitsubishi Shoguns and Pajeros about 15 years ago, all older models 'cos they are cheap as chips, comfortable, have a great driving position and tow the caravan well. Unfortunately they only did around 20-25 mpg solo and 15 when towing. Four years ago I switched to a BMW 5-series estate to get better fuel consumption.

BIG mistake Big Cry Big Cry It was a lovely motorway car but I just hated the low seating position, difficulty getting in and out for aged arthritic limbs and the sheer perceived danger in not being able to see properly any more! I'd been spoilt and had quite forgotten about not being able to see over normal cars in traffic, or having a decent view when approaching junctions. Turning out of driveways felt positively lethal, needing to stick about three yards of car out before I could see anything.........

Kept it for almost two years and then went into our local Land Rover dealership with my dear wife to see if she liked anything there Very Happy Very Happy

The rest, as they say, is history Thumbs Up

Guess what I voted for in your poll? Ours - 2008 Stornoway Grey HSE Auto
Tricia's - 2006 Royal Blue Beetle Cabriolet Auto
Mine - 2014 Vespa GTS 300 Super Sport Matt Black
Ours - 2007 White Bailey Pageant Champagne

Post #202658 10th Oct 2013 10:43 pm
Pegleg

Wales 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Santorini Black

So Tigger, what's it going to be?
Help you choose you say.
Hardly surprising on FL2 forum that FL2 is streaks ahead.
Put the same poll on Jag XF forum and XF would win by a country mile.
Put the same poll on Vauxhall Duracell forum and they'd vote for a .....................
skateboard Rolling with laughter

Good luck with whatever you choose,
Except,
Please no Duracell, unless you want to part of ruining our planet Thumbs Up Another member of the failed FL2 clutch/DMF club, twice.

Post #202663 11th Oct 2013 12:02 am
Reeventu

England 2013 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Lux Auto Baltic Blue

maybe wait for the face lift Yeti in outlander Laurent and whatever !! spec

Has all the toys 170BHP , 4WD, Lower C02, tows the same and is about 30K according to the dealer I spoke with yesterday.

Look for pictures on internet

Post #202730 11th Oct 2013 5:24 pm
j77

Scotland 

The yeti outdoor Laurin & Klement

https://media.skoda-auto.com/en/_layouts/S...spx?ID=556 21MY Defender 90 S 3.0 D200

Post #202754 11th Oct 2013 10:00 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 2 of 3 <123>