Forum-Gallery-Shop-Sponsors

« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > Maintenance & Modifications > Bluefin Remap - Worth it? Effect on Terrain Response?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
choccymonster

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Manual Tambora Flame
Bluefin Remap - Worth it? Effect on Terrain Response?

Hi all,

Yet to pick up my Freelander (probably mid-next week), however I have a question about remapping, if you'll indulge me.

I am no stranger to modification and remapping, having remapped my old 2.0 TDCi C-Max, and then performed a Stage 3, including the obligatory remap, on my old Focus ST 225.

Obviously there are trade-offs with the increased insurance premiums, greater propensity to depress the loud pedal outweighing any MPG gains etc etc etc.....I've heard the arguments before and some I agree with and some I don't.

However, the C-Max 2.0TDCi I had was AMAZING when it had been remapped with a Code:Red map - it was BONKERS quick with "tectonic plate" shifting torque. I drove it for many tens of thousands of miles with no issue.

Equally, my turbo-charged focus was ridonkulously quick, and was a joy to drive once it has been mapped.

So - my questions are:-

1) I'm sure there are Bluefin "users" out there on the 2.2 Td4 - is it worth it? How does the car drive?
2) More importantly - if Terrain Response does clever jiggery-pokery with throttle maps etc etc., how does a "Bluefin-ed" Freelander 2 deal with this? Does a Freelander with a Bluefin map confuse the hell out of Terrain Response?

Apologies for what might be stupid questions - have had a search and not quite found the precise answers to the above....

Smile

Post #201136 28th Sep 2013 8:06 pm
Bottom

Scotland 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Sumatra Black

1) Yes. Utterly worth it, much more go, better fuel consumption and much better in gear acceleration. Transforms the car, literally. I've now covered over 20k miles with it with no problems.
2) I only really use mud and snow mode, it still appears to work fine.

Post #201248 29th Sep 2013 6:01 pm
choccymonster

I appreciate the response.

Back in my Ford days, I used Code:Red and Dreamscience remaps - these were handsets where you could apply and remove the map whenever you wished.

Useful if your car was going to a main dealer where they might update the car software.

I am assuming Bluefin works in exactly the same way?

Post #201276 29th Sep 2013 8:00 pm
rchrdleigh

England 2011 Freelander 2 TD4 XS Manual Baltic Blue

Dealer diagnostic equipment detects the remap as an error code and resets the software to factory standard, as hinted at you need some way of reinstalling the remap once the vehicle is back from the Dealers.

If your car is under LR Warranty, a remap can sometimes invalidate the warranty.

Post #201286 29th Sep 2013 8:29 pm
choccymonster

Agreed.

Hence the preference for "maps on a handset" like Dreamscience and Code:Red amongst the Ford chaps. It allowed the map to be unloaded before heading to the dealers. If they did a software update, it trashed the map if you left it on.

Also - the detection of a map sometimes led to difficult questions if the car was in for warranty work.

Practically speaking, over time we tended to work out which dealers were tame, and would be "helpful" in these kind of circumstances.

But rchrdleigh is right - my experience was a while ago, and a different marque.

Post #201298 29th Sep 2013 9:05 pm
flylr

2013 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Auto Santorini Black

Factor in POTENTIAL clutch/DMF problems if a manual. They are not the strongest clutches/DMF in the business and the extra torque from the remap is unlikely to help the situation.

Flame suit on...... Laughing (Coming) 2016 RR Evoque td4 180 HSE Dynamc
(Going) 2013 TD4 GS Auto - Santorini Black with black leather. Cold Climate, UK Lighting & Armrest Packs. Privacy Glass. LR Rubber Mats. Full size spare.
60 000 miles averaging 35mpg

(Gone) 2010 TD4 Manual GS - Stornoway Grey. Sold at 3yrs old & 64k miles. Final average consumption 39.2mpg.

Post #201343 29th Sep 2013 11:00 pm
ad210358

England 

I think the torque is restricted in first gear by reputable Remaps to protect the clutch a bit.
Also I had a vehicle which was sold earlier this year with 220k on it, remapped at 8k, the engine and drivetrain was never touched in its life, this was on a vehicle that had supposedly a week gearbox. p****d off with a Digital Keyboard Warrior

Post #201345 29th Sep 2013 11:08 pm
flylr

I could be wrong but I don't think 1st gear is the issue on Freelanders. It's that 4th or 5th gear acceleration up a hill (for example). The map would need to limit the torque in all gears at lower rpm (perhaps bluefin does this?).

As an aside... I have a theory cruise control kills the clutch. On my previous Freelander it was nearly all motorway miles, much of it with cruise on. It seems to me cruise control is not very bright. Drop below the cruise speed (say going up a hill) or press resume after braking and it is full bore acceleration (usually in 6th as you are at motorway speeds) to get back up to cruise speed. Equally pressing the plus button when in cruise seems to apply full throttle. So full torque in 6th gear.... So if you had a remap that is potentially even more torque being applied.

If I was to remap a manual Freelander I would ask the mapper to see the torque curve on his map vs stock. And then decide.

Maybe it's just me Laughing (Coming) 2016 RR Evoque td4 180 HSE Dynamc
(Going) 2013 TD4 GS Auto - Santorini Black with black leather. Cold Climate, UK Lighting & Armrest Packs. Privacy Glass. LR Rubber Mats. Full size spare.

(Gone) 2010 TD4 Manual GS - Stornoway Grey. Sold at 3yrs old & 64k miles. Final average consumption 39.2mpg.

Post #201348 29th Sep 2013 11:23 pm
ad210358

England 

Sure I've read that LR have limited the torque in first and second, also read that Bluefin does the same. As for Cruise Control I think it's used correctly its fine, it is meant to hold a set speed, not to be confused with a hand operated accelerator it only has two positions, on and off, he cannot accelerate gently, it is not designed to. p****d off with a Digital Keyboard Warrior

Post #201365 30th Sep 2013 4:54 am
Mav71

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Manual Stornoway Grey

I had had a bluefin on mine for 5/ 1/2 years now. Never seen a down side. Still on the same DMF, mpg is a little better on average but you tend not to drive the car hard because you don't need to. It just makes the whole thing a little more effortless. Like ChoccyMonster, I am also no stranger to re-mapping.

But to settle a myth. On the very latest Freelander, re-maps 'could' be detected if a technician at a dealer know how to look for the down load log and what changes to look for.

Early pre-2010 cars are pretty much invisible. We tried this a a dealer to see what they could find with the map in place. No evidence was found.

Now this all depends on what map is installed. If you use a generic map, then the map file will have a random file number and this will show up when the ECU is being interrogated instead of an LR file number. It doesn't show as a re-map but he fact that the file name is different is enough to make a technician want to look further.

With decent software like Superchips Bluefin, your own cars file is read, then your own cars file is modified and installed in to the ECU. So the map file's name is unchanged.

So for your average dealer, they would not know where to look.

It will not show up as a fault code, and dealers for sure don't just upgrade software for the hell of it. Software upgrades are only installed to overcome a problem or is a customer pays for a full software check and update. Freelander 2 HSE Lux 2013MY - Barolo Black with Ivory Leather. Alpine DVD - Privacy -Evoque 20" Dynamic Wheels and more to come.........

Last edited by Mav71 on 30th Sep 2013 9:05 am. Edited 2 times in total

Post #201378 30th Sep 2013 8:51 am
Mav71

With bluefin, power and torque are limited to near on standard levels in first and second gear. Cruise nor, any other function of the car is effected and everything works and drives like it is factory.

I have towed across Europe for 6 years and not had an issue with anything.

But, like everything in the car world. If you abuse things, cars will break, that includes re-mapped Freelanders or standard Freelanders.

But treat a car correctly, and there is no reason why things should not stay reliable. Freelander 2 HSE Lux 2013MY - Barolo Black with Ivory Leather. Alpine DVD - Privacy -Evoque 20" Dynamic Wheels and more to come.........

Post #201379 30th Sep 2013 9:00 am
choccymonster

Many thanks for the informed responses!!

Much appreciated.

Picking the car up on Friday - I suspect a foray onto the Superchips website will follow soon afterwards..... Embarassed

Post #201386 30th Sep 2013 10:25 am
flylr

My final advice on a remap.... (Yes I have had many, although not a FL). Drive the car for at least a few thousand miles first. Get to know it well, and then remap. You will appreciate the remap so much more. (Coming) 2016 RR Evoque td4 180 HSE Dynamc

Post #201447 30th Sep 2013 6:28 pm
Mav71

That's a good point Flylr! Freelander 2 HSE Lux 2013MY - Barolo Black with Ivory Leather. Alpine DVD - Privacy -Evoque 20" Dynamic Wheels and more to come.........

Post #201673 2nd Oct 2013 1:33 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1