Forum-Gallery-Shop-Sponsors

« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > Wheels & Tyres > Aaaaaaaaaarggghhh! I know... but still... (tyres)
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
piattj

Wales 2011 Freelander 2 SD4 GS Auto Baltic Blue
Aaaaaaaaaarggghhh! I know... but still... (tyres)

...Sorry an' all that but I'm after experiences to help me decide on an All-Season tyre for my MY11 (235/65/R17 104/108V) to replace the current Goodyear Wranglers.

Extensive browsing has come up with:

Vredestein Quatrac 3 SUV
Goodyear Vector 4 Season SUV
Goodyear HP AW
Pirelli Scorpion Verde All Season

Given 85-90% on road, 10-15% offroad (uneven, rutted tracks with a gradient, wet grass mostly, nothing toooo extreme, y'know) what recommendations would you make?
I appreciate that AT tyres will be recommended but I think they're just a bit too offroad inclined (road noise, fuel consumption etc) for my usage profile...
Thanks in advance (& kudos for forum patience with yet another tyre query...) Bow down
This post has been edited by the site administration team
Title edited for topic of thread

Be true to yourself. That way happiness lies...

Post #196760 28th Aug 2013 3:31 pm
rchrdleigh

England 2011 Freelander 2 TD4 XS Manual Baltic Blue

Given what you're planning on doing I'd go for Goodyear Wrangler HP AW.

Post #196761 28th Aug 2013 3:33 pm
piattj

Ta... any other views / experiences?

... ...

Post #196773 28th Aug 2013 5:00 pm
kimosabe

2009 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Zermatt Silver

Short answer:

Forget about 'all season' tyres, as their name is very misleading. I don't know of any tyre that could cope well with hot dry Summer roads as well as mud, snow and ice because they require different grip and clearance.

Long Answer:

I currently have a 2013 FL2 XS on loan and it's fitted with 17" Goodyear Wranglers (M+S). Read on.

My car (2009 FL2 HSE) has 19" Continental Cross Contact UHP for wet-dry ROAD use and I find them to be well up for anything general road driving throws at them but i've occasionally had to cross muddy fields and sheet ice in them and they were understandably useless. This is because they're not designed for anything but wet-dry ROAD use.

So I bought a set of 17" LR OEM rims for £200, had AJS fit General Grabber AT's and to be honest, I could drive pretty much anywhere on them without coming unstuck. Ice is the only thing they didn't manage at all well. If I didn't have the 19" continentals, I would be equally satisfied with the General Grabbers as a good tyre for most conditions.

Therefore, what i'd recommend you to consider, if your budget allows it, is two sets of tyres. One dedicated Winter set for anything below 7 degrees and one general road set for everything else.

If this is not an option, the 19" Continentals and the General Grabbers are definitely less bouncy and sploshy than the 17" Wranglers and I have found that this affects cornering. The Wranglers are also slightly noisier.

It all depends on how you drive and what you expect but 4 season tyres are still a bit confusing for my small brain. Whereabouts unknown stop going to follow stream until reach civilisation stop message ends

Post #198458 8th Sep 2013 4:01 pm
oldgeezer

United Kingdom 2013 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Baltic Blue

I agree also with 2 tyre sets

Both my FR2's have been fitted with Goodyear wranglers and off road in a muddy field or snow they are poor to say the least !

After 2 extremely close incidents one being in the snow I fitted a set of Vredenstien Wintrac extreme 4's on a spare set of alloys and the transformation for winter use is formidable !

Last year in the snow I drove 252 miles in extreme snow and drove everywhere including up banks to pass cars blocking roads , the ABS never even kicked in and it drove like it was on Tarmac ! We drove down motorways that were blocked with snow and it was awsome ! Way to go Thumbs Up Jaguar x-type sport gone
Jaguar x-type 2.2d sport one of my best cars ever sadly gone
Freelander 2 GS auto 2008 most unreliable ever ! gladly gone
Freelander 2 GS manual 2013 only time will tell !

Post #198516 8th Sep 2013 7:53 pm
Apache

2008 Freelander 2 TD4 S Manual Indus Silver

Stick some General Grabber ATs on and forget about them.

Or you'll find yourself in a muddy field after a summer shower and look a prat.

There is no increased road noise, no increased fuel consumption and they will deal with 99% of anything you can throw at them.

Not stuck, I had to pull off a farm track to leave it clear in the snow. She drove out of that no bother. Welly boot deep.

Admin note: this post has had its images recovered from a money grabbing photo hosting site and reinstated Mr. Green

Post #198551 9th Sep 2013 12:27 am
scrimple

United Kingdom 2013 Freelander 2 SD4 XS Auto Ipanema Sand

I have recently had a couple of general grabber gt fitted, they seem quieter than the wranglers (original fit) and are cheaper too, I would go for grabbers, good tyres at a reasonable price. Thumbs Up  MY2014 SD4 XS
Ipanema Sand

MY10 TD4-e GS Manual
Lago Grey Now retired after 8 trouble free years

Post #198630 9th Sep 2013 7:28 pm
Stevie5tapes

England 2013 Freelander 2 TD4_e GS Auto Sumatra Black

I had original wranglers on my FL2, when the first snow came last winter the car was all over the place. The tyres were down to 4mm so were ready to be changed. I got 4 general grabber AT's on just before the worst snow in years I had seen fell, the car was great, didn't have a problem at all on the snow covered lanes/roads around Huddersfield. I have not noticed any change in noise or MPG. Ive been through a couple of fields with the AT's and not had a problem with them. Black MY2013 SD4 GS Auto, Wood Company Armrest, Freel2 sticker.
Gone MY2010 Freelander 2 Manual TD4.e S, Alaska White.

Post #198639 9th Sep 2013 8:12 pm
piattj

Thanks all for great advice... I think GG ATs are the order of the day, but am tempted to do the right thing and get |Winter tyres for the season... ...

Post #198737 10th Sep 2013 1:13 pm
kimosabe

2009 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Zermatt Silver

Best thing you could do is to invest in Winter tyres while holding on to your 'Summer' tyres for everything else. All Terrains such as the GG AT's are great but won't stop the car from losing the plot on ice. Mud and Snow no problems, but ice requires other tread patterns.

Let us know what you eventually decide upon and remember to shop around and ask for discounts. Whereabouts unknown stop going to follow stream until reach civilisation stop message ends

Post #198754 10th Sep 2013 3:22 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1