Forum-Gallery-Shop-Sponsors

« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > Technical > mud and ruts
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 2 <12
Print this entire topic · 
arcturus

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Izmir Blue

And manual drivers don't forget the anti-stall feature, which means you can drive along with your right foot off the accelerator at a slow steady speed. Certainly works a treat in 1st and 2nd, haven't tried it in other gears.

Post #19413 6th May 2008 12:05 pm
Matei

Romania 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 SE Manual Izmir Blue

arcturus wrote:
And manual drivers don't forget the anti-stall feature, which means you can drive along with your right foot off the accelerator at a slow steady speed. Certainly works a treat in 1st and 2nd, haven't tried it in other gears.

Right
As I have driven only diesels for the last year got so used to this that the other day when I drove a petrol managed to stall it in the frist minute FREELANDER 2 TD4 SE (XS UK) IZMIR BLUE SIDE STEPS COLD PACK BI-XENON TINTED WINDOWS - AND PROUD OF HER

Post #19414 6th May 2008 12:09 pm
Tim in Scotland

United Kingdom 

Matei wrote:
What do you mean? Can you pull off directly with second from stand still with an auto?

In the D3/RRS and FFRR, if you engage Mud and Ruts then the gear box ecu/TR program puts it into 2nd gear to pull away and it doesn't matter if you are in high or low ratios. You have no indication that you are in second but it tells you in the owners manual exactly what each setting of TR does.

You should be able to do it with a Freelander2 as well. How can carbon have a footprint, it has no feet?
Now driving - RRE Coupe Dynamic Lux Auto with Plus pack, Fuji White, Ebony, SD4 with tow pack
Gone - 2010MY FFRR TDv8 Stornoway and Ivory, Privacy - the pace of a TDv8 RRS, the incomparable grace of a Range Rover
Gone but will be missed- RRS Tdv8 HSE Stornoway Grey with Ebony Leather
Gone (only a little missed) RRS Tdv6 2.7SE Giverny Green/Aspen
Defender 90 County HT in Epsom Green

Post #19416 6th May 2008 12:33 pm
Matei

Tim in Scotland wrote:
Matei wrote:
What do you mean? Can you pull off directly with second from stand still with an auto?

In the D3/RRS and FFRR, if you engage Mud and Ruts then the gear box ecu/TR program puts it into 2nd gear to pull away and it doesn't matter if you are in high or low ratios. You have no indication that you are in second but it tells you in the owners manual exactly what each setting of TR does.

You should be able to do it with a Freelander2 as well.

Clever.
I have a manual box so do not know but it makes sense.
Same should be in snow setting as I remmember the old days when the cars had way less electronics and my driving instructor told me that when on ice or I should pull off in second to avoid spining
Thanks FREELANDER 2 TD4 SE (XS UK) IZMIR BLUE SIDE STEPS COLD PACK BI-XENON TINTED WINDOWS - AND PROUD OF HER

Post #19421 6th May 2008 1:13 pm
Tim in Scotland

United Kingdom 

It reduces the chances of loosing it with wheelspin - even with traction control the wheels have to be spinning before the TC cuts in to brake those with no grip, so pulling away in 2nd uses the engines torque rather than the power that you get from 1st gear - it's even better if you can pull away in 3rd too as there is even less chance of spinning wheels.
When I'm off road in my Defender then I would use low 2nd or 3rd in the mud or going up slippery slopes, low 1st is normally reserved for going down very steep hills utilising the engine-braking effect (Defenders don't get any of the fancy toys that the more modern cars get, even the latest one only has ABS, TC is an option.) How can carbon have a footprint, it has no feet?
Now driving - RRE Coupe Dynamic Lux Auto with Plus pack, Fuji White, Ebony, SD4 with tow pack
Gone - 2010MY FFRR TDv8 Stornoway and Ivory, Privacy - the pace of a TDv8 RRS, the incomparable grace of a Range Rover

Post #19438 6th May 2008 3:44 pm
Gambba

United Arab Emirates 2008 LR2 i6 HSE Auto Stornoway Grey

Matei wrote:
Can you pull off directly with second from stand still with an auto?

Yes, I sometimes forget to shift back to first at a junction and pull off in second, which is a bit sluggish, and not having tried the Mud & Ruts setting (not of great use here surprisingly) I would guess what Tim says applies to teh FL2, which is why it lets you pull off in 2nd.

Post #19472 6th May 2008 7:24 pm
Matei

Tim in Scotland wrote:
It reduces the chances of loosing it with wheelspin - even with traction control the wheels have to be spinning before the TC cuts in to brake those with no grip, so pulling away in 2nd uses the engines torque rather than the power that you get from 1st gear - it's even better if you can pull away in 3rd too as there is even less chance of spinning wheels.
When I'm off road in my Defender then I would use low 2nd or 3rd in the mud or going up slippery slopes, low 1st is normally reserved for going down very steep hills utilising the engine-braking effect (Defenders don't get any of the fancy toys that the more modern cars get, even the latest one only has ABS, TC is an option.)

On icy surface even with TR on snow I should pull off in second - manual ?
You cannot compare the Defender with any other off-roader
Guess you have seen this
http://www.autocar.co.uk/VideosWallpapers/...9&CT=V FREELANDER 2 TD4 SE (XS UK) IZMIR BLUE SIDE STEPS COLD PACK BI-XENON TINTED WINDOWS - AND PROUD OF HER

Post #19511 7th May 2008 6:03 am
Tim in Scotland

United Kingdom 

I hadn't but now I have! Pity they didn't give the little Rimini Red car in the background at 1m 38secs into the movie a go and then you lot would have been grinnng from ear to ear................................ How can carbon have a footprint, it has no feet?

Post #19564 7th May 2008 11:12 am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 2 of 2 <12