« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > General > Power Steering Pump noise - Loud Heavy Clicking
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
dubbers

Power Steering Pump noise - Loud Heavy Clicking

Hi all,

My 2009 HSE 2.2 has just started to make a noise from the power steering pump and wondering if anyone has experienced it before or can offer any advice on what might be causing it.

Let me first start by saying that it's definitely a clicking sound and not a whine that I see a lot of posts about so I don't think it's debris floating around in the system causing the reservoir filter to block unless this is another symptom of it that I haven't seen in the posts?

The clicking sound is heavy and loud. You can hear it from 20 feet away while the engine is running although only faintly when you're inside the cabin.

The steering is completely unaffected by it both at normal at slow and higher speeds. No abnormal noise on full lock.

The clicking is coming from the PAS pump at the O/S/F of the engine. I can feel it when I rest my hand on the pump, in particular the metal pipe that comes out of the pump.

It's intermittent, happened a couple of weeks ago and eventually subsided on a 10 mile run to work. It's surfaced again today and has subsided on the run to work.

When it does happen, it's not a repetitive click that you might associate with a damaged pump or something fouling on the pulleys etc. It might click a few times within a second or so then nothing for a few seconds then another click, then a break and then more clicks in quick succession.

The sound of the click is consistent though, so it makes me think it's not debris going through the pump as debris isn't always the same size/shape and so the noise would change slightly?

Not sure if there's an on/off valve in the pump itself but it makes the heavy clicking sound you might associate with that.

Any help is appreciated.

Post #191827 19th Jul 2013 12:56 pm
npinks

United Kingdom 

is there fluid in the power steering reservoir? Former Mod/Member, with the most post & Chicken George Arch nemesis

Post #191829 19th Jul 2013 1:27 pm
dubbers

Yes, plenty and the level is consistent with the reservoir cap on or off.

Post #191831 19th Jul 2013 1:33 pm
snappa

Scotland 2013 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Buckingham Blue

Is the pump/reservoir securely bolted down?

Post #192080 22nd Jul 2013 9:35 am
Sparkes

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Zermatt Silver

Hi! I'm having a similar issue but not as loud. The knocking has been there for a couple of months but now when on tight lock the power steering doesn't seem to operate. New fluid and reservoir already for the weekend. I'm hoping that it can be resolved.

Anyone had to do this lately? How much fluid is required to flush it properly? Any recommendations as to what fluid is best or is LR branded fluid fine?

Post #192315 23rd Jul 2013 4:04 pm
dubbers

snappa wrote:
Is the pump/reservoir securely bolted down?

Checked all the fittings and everything is secure. Maybe I'll just replace the fluid & reservoir to see if it helps. It's a relatively cheap thing to do considering the potential cost for a new rack and pump if it's debris floating around.

Post #192871 27th Jul 2013 11:25 pm
Sparkes

Since my last post the knock has gotten worse plus when on full lock its as if all PAS isn't available. The only way I can explain it as if its come off the tracks and needs a good yank to get it back on.

Haven't tried the flush yet but intend to do Wednesday. Has anyone had this issue? Must be honest I'm tempted to just get the rack replaced and get it sorted.

Post #192946 28th Jul 2013 9:06 pm
ad210358

England 

It's the infamous weld spatter.

http://www.automd.com/tsb/bulletin_b328506/ p****d off with a Digital Keyboard Warrior

Post #192960 29th Jul 2013 5:04 am
Sparkes

Well after flushing the system with over 4 litres of fluid using the new reservoir for new and existing for extraction the noise is reduced and even on full lock it is easier however it is still noticeable only on full right hand lock. Am gutted as despite being much improved I think a new steering rack is a necessity but just not immediate.

Q is do I replace the hose and pump at the same time inc ends?

Despite it all the wife likes the car... As long as there aren't any more surprises! LOL

Post #193132 30th Jul 2013 6:49 pm
dubbers

ad210358 wrote:
It's the infamous weld spatter.

http://www.automd.com/tsb/bulletin_b328506/

Thanks.

Thought I'd try changing the fluid first so just flushed my system and fitted a new reservoir to no avail. Still got the heavy clicking coming from the power steering pump. Having researched the way the system works, the power steering pump has an internal pressure relief valve so it seems that is repeatedly opening/closing hence the noise. Question is why....taking into account the bulletin wording....either the flow of fluid is restricted with possibly weld splatter in the rack or the relief valve in the pump has gone faulty? I'm leaning towards it being the rack based on the bulletin.

I have noticed that increasing the revs to 1100-1200 clears the clicking. This can probably be explained because at tickover the pressure in the system is at it's highest and lowers as the revs increase. So the valve is more likely to open at high pressure if the rack valves are restricted by splatter.

Anyone know if the racks are serviceable?

Post #194072 8th Aug 2013 1:27 pm
Sparkes

Shall try increasing the revs to see if this operates the same as yours. Didn't know about the release valve so good to know.

My Q is, would a new or remanufactured rack be better?? Have sourced a new remanufactured rack for £185 and fitting would be £145 by an independent garage near Stroud.

As I live between South Wales and Cheltenham it's a short wait considering the quote from Stratstone Swansea.

Andrew

Post #194126 8th Aug 2013 7:59 pm
shilen

United Kingdom 2011 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Auto Bali Blue

i was getting a very loud rattling type noise on full left lock, when turning right it cancelled the noise. LR assist diagnosed a slipping aux tension belt, LR had had it in and said the aux belt tensioner was partially seized - took it off, lubricated it, re-tensioned it within the hour and now fixed. Not sure if this is your problem but might be worth checking?

Post #194184 9th Aug 2013 9:46 am
dubbers

Sparkes wrote:
Shall try increasing the revs to see if this operates the same as yours. Didn't know about the release valve so good to know.

My Q is, would a new or remanufactured rack be better?? Have sourced a new remanufactured rack for £185 and fitting would be £145 by an independent garage near Stroud.

As I live between South Wales and Cheltenham it's a short wait considering the quote from Stratstone Swansea.

Andrew

I've also been looking around and found a remanufactured rack for around £180. I've used remanufactured stuff in the past on other vehicles so don't have any issues doing it again plus I've seen one firm providing a 2 year guarantee.

Land Rover are taking a look at mine later this week so I'll see what they say first. If it's part of the weld splatter debacle then I'll probably argue that Land Rover should pay for it (as they've done for others) and see if I can get it done that way.

Post #194586 12th Aug 2013 8:22 am
dubbers

shilen wrote:
i was getting a very loud rattling type noise on full left lock, when turning right it cancelled the noise. LR assist diagnosed a slipping aux tension belt, LR had had it in and said the aux belt tensioner was partially seized - took it off, lubricated it, re-tensioned it within the hour and now fixed. Not sure if this is your problem but might be worth checking?

I'd heard that might also be a cause so while it was doing it the other day I watched the belt and tensioner closely but nothing unusual seemed to be happening. I've also tried the old technique of placing the tip of a screwdriver on the component (pump in my case) and the other end to your ear which "amplifies" the noise it's generating. Indications are it's the pump but I'm having Land Rover take a look later this week.

Post #194588 12th Aug 2013 8:29 am
Sparkes

Thanks for feedback RE remanufactured parts and RPM. Tried increasing the RPM and it is indeed easier however there is still a knock . The problem I had on full right hand lock isn't as bad since a new reservoir was installed and flushed but it does occasionally happen.

Think I'm going to go with a new rack replaced and get the tensioner checked.

Am hoping the independent in Stroud is as good as what I've heard. Aim to book it in for them to take a look some time next week.

Post #194857 14th Aug 2013 11:37 am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1