Forum-Gallery-Shop-Sponsors

« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > General > Dodgy fan, flat battery and non-locking door!
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Print this entire topic · 
Northsea Medic

United Kingdom 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 XS Manual Stornoway Grey
Dodgy fan, flat battery and non-locking door!

Hi all,
this is a bit of an odd one and any help would really be appreciated...
The other day after a short drive in very hot weather the cooling fan stayed on after I locked the car - this isn't unheard of in this weather so i didn't give it much thought. However, several hours later I went to use it and found that it was as dead as a dead thing! The battery was flat due to the fan running on and after a jump start it was fine - or so i thought.
I have unplugged one of the connectors from the fan module and the fan stopped, as I had a long drive to do the following day I was a little concerned but it was fine. I've been trying to get a new module but seemingly they only come with the whole fan assembly at around £300 plus fitting which seems over the top - has anyone else managed to get round this issue?
Another oddity which has occurred at the same time as this is that the offside rear door no longer locks when using the key fob, dash switch or the drivers door lock lever on the internal door handle. I think that this may be due to the depleted battery causing a few software issues and would appreciate any thoughts on getting around this?

Cheers

NSM

Post #191476 16th Jul 2013 12:23 am
FL2Voodoo

United Kingdom 2009 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Stornoway Grey

Mines just came back from Land Rover with the same Problem with the O/S rear door lock, Land Rover replaced it under Warranty, speaking to the Girl on the service Desk its a know Fault thats becoming more common she said they have had allot in recently same issuse ............ it may be the hot weather.

There is also a TSB out for the door lock :

2009 Land Rover Lr2 Latches/locks/linkages Service Bulletin 301587

NHTSA: Action Number: 10037558 Service Bulletin Number: 301587

Report Date:
Feb 04, 2011
Component:
Latches/locks/linkages

Summary: Land rover: there are a number of issues with the side door latch operation. The doors may not open from either side or may not lock. *rm HSE TD4 Stornoway Grey ★ Rear Spoiler ★ Black Leather Interior ★ Panoramic Roof ★ Navigation with Bluetooth ★ 19 " Alloys ★ Alpine Stereo 10 Disc Auto changer and Ipod connection and lots of other nice toys ★

Post #191478 16th Jul 2013 7:42 am
Northsea Medic

Thanks for the reply - not so good as its a known fault as I was hoping that it was a battery related thing that just needed a re-boot. As I'm sure you'll have guessed I'm now out of warranty Sad

Post #191481 16th Jul 2013 9:23 am
FL2Voodoo

Even though your out of warranty go see your dealer with a copy of the Bulletin say how you know as its a common fault and they may do the lock as a good will gesture or you at least pay half.

I have done this many times with out of warranty cars and once they know you know your stuff and cant be fobed off you usually find they will do it.

You have nothing to lose by asking. HSE TD4 Stornoway Grey ★ Rear Spoiler ★ Black Leather Interior ★ Panoramic Roof ★ Navigation with Bluetooth ★ 19 " Alloys ★ Alpine Stereo 10 Disc Auto changer and Ipod connection and lots of other nice toys ★

Last edited by FL2Voodoo on 16th Jul 2013 4:25 pm. Edited 1 time in total

Post #191484 16th Jul 2013 10:12 am
Stevie5tapes

England 2013 Freelander 2 TD4_e GS Auto Sumatra Black

My door latch is playing up, my car is only 3 months out of warranty. I think I will try my local dealer for a good will gesture. Black MY2013 SD4 GS Auto, Wood Company Armrest, Freel2 sticker.
Gone MY2010 Freelander 2 Manual TD4.e S, Alaska White.

Post #191511 16th Jul 2013 12:50 pm
Stevie5tapes

FL2Voodoo wrote:
Mines just came back from Land Rover with the same Problem with the O/S rear door lock, Land Rover replaced it under Warranty, speaking to the Girl on the service Desk its a know Fault thats becoming more common she said they have had allot in recently same issuse ............ it may be the hot weather.

Report Date:
Feb 04, 2011
Component:
Latches/locks/linkages

Summary: Land rover: there are a number of issues with the side door latch operation. The doors may not open from either side or may not lock. *rm

Where can I get a copy of the service bulletin? I cant access it on topix? Any idea's where I can find it? Cheers! Bow down Black MY2013 SD4 GS Auto, Wood Company Armrest, Freel2 sticker.

Post #191513 16th Jul 2013 12:52 pm
clevelandy

England 

Strange - just had my O/S Rear door lock replaced under warranty as it wasn't locking - either from the fob or whilst setting off driving.
Dealer didn't mention a common fault - but I guess they wouldn't would they Shocked

Post #191518 16th Jul 2013 2:04 pm
SakoQuad

United Kingdom 2010 Freelander 2 TD4 XS Auto Santorini Black

Stevie5tapes wrote:
FL2Voodoo wrote:

Report Date:
Feb 04, 2011
Component:
Latches/locks/linkages

Summary: Land rover: there are a number of issues with the side door latch operation. The doors may not open from either side or may not lock. *rm

Where can I get a copy of the service bulletin? I cant access it on topix? Any idea's where I can find it? Cheers! Bow down

Try Googling freelander service bulletins,

Post #191519 16th Jul 2013 2:12 pm
Stevie5tapes

Yeah I've google the TSB but can only find a summary of the issue with the door latch. I think I will see what LR suggest when I contact them. Black MY2013 SD4 GS Auto, Wood Company Armrest, Freel2 sticker.

Post #191523 16th Jul 2013 3:14 pm
FL2Voodoo

Stevie

Just show them this its all I took in and gave them just to back my case up incase they said it wasnt covered.

Report Date:
Feb 04, 2011
Component:
Latches/locks/linkages

Summary: Land rover: there are a number of issues with the side door latch operation. The doors may not open from either side or may not lock. *rm HSE TD4 Stornoway Grey ★ Rear Spoiler ★ Black Leather Interior ★ Panoramic Roof ★ Navigation with Bluetooth ★ 19 " Alloys ★ Alpine Stereo 10 Disc Auto changer and Ipod connection and lots of other nice toys ★

Post #191530 16th Jul 2013 4:28 pm
SakoQuad

United Kingdom 2010 Freelander 2 TD4 XS Auto Santorini Black

Stevie5tapes wrote:
Yeah I've google the TSB but can only find a summary of the issue with the door latch. I think I will see what LR suggest when I contact them.

I'm not 100% sure as new to the Freelander myself but I have only ever been able to access bulletin headings and summaries on-line. I have assumed that you need to be able to access a LR site as a dealer before you get to see the whole script.

If anyone knows different I would be interested to know how / where you can get to see more details of the bulletins that have been issued.

Post #191534 16th Jul 2013 4:45 pm
The Doctor

United Kingdom 

How far out of warranty and when was the car bought? Just out of curiosity. LL.B (Hons) - University of Derby
LOT (Lord of Time) - University of Gallifrey

Post #191597 16th Jul 2013 8:16 pm
Stevie5tapes

My car is just two months out of warranty. Only had it a year. Black MY2013 SD4 GS Auto, Wood Company Armrest, Freel2 sticker.

Post #191599 16th Jul 2013 8:25 pm
The Doctor

United Kingdom 

If it is going to be expensive and you are not happy with LR good will gesture then sod the warranty and sue their ass. Just off out now so can't go into full details but its a separate entity to the warranty and if anything the bulletin would be ammo for the consumer to use.

The great thing about the small claims court is that you pay a variable yet small amount to file the claim (which you get back if they settle or you win in court) and you represent yourself. The dealer has to cough up barrister fees which is why most will crumble before court time. Even if it went to court and you lost you pay no costs!

Good old Sale of Goods Act is your friend. Thumbs Up LL.B (Hons) - University of Derby
LOT (Lord of Time) - University of Gallifrey

Post #191602 16th Jul 2013 9:00 pm
Northsea Medic

Thanks guys - some very good points and well worth trying. To answer your question Doc the car is 20 months out of warranty . Out of interest does anyone know whats actually involved - is it a DIY job?

The good news is that I found the module for the fan on ebay as someone had bought the whole fan assembly but didn't need the module. £50 for the part rather than £320 for all the guff i didn't need is a good deal to me!

Cheers

Tim

Post #191613 16th Jul 2013 9:59 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>