Forum-Gallery-Shop-Sponsors

« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > General > Potential Major Safety Issue
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 2 <12
Print this entire topic · 
ChrisC

United Kingdom 

I agreed LR should comment on this, but I don't agree that every new car should perform such test, unless the test is either a legal requirement, or part of the design criteria for the car, but this is again for LR to comment.

Reading the manual on RSC

Quote:
RSC works in conjunction with DSC to try and
prevent vehicle roll-over. If the system senses
that the vehicle is approaching roll-over it will
reduce engine power and use the ABS system
to reduce the chance of roll-over.

Would suggest that RSC would not help in a situation where the vehicle is travelling at speed and asked to do a sudden manoeuvre, but it may assist in trying to prevent the outcome (i.e. what stopped the roll when the car was on two wheels, the dirver or RSC?)

The problem is what is the RSC to do in a sudden manoeuvre situation, induce understeer preventing the vehicle from turning? Thus preventing the roll, but hitting the object the driver was trying to avoid in the first place. It can’t reduce speed instantly that’s impossible.

Post #18532 23rd Apr 2008 11:23 am
Matei

Romania 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 SE Manual Izmir Blue

Anyway we do not know what "several inches" are. Maybe it was not enough to trigger the ESC because if it would have more than the trigger limit and the ESC did not work then obviously the car would have rolled over. So what if the several inches were not so dangerous at all? Of course raising two wheels from the ground would make me feel uneasy to say the least but how dangerouse was it actually?
I don't really think that a software update could solve such a problem because at the end of the day, as said allready, the rollover is dictated by the laws of physics. FREELANDER 2 TD4 SE (XS UK) IZMIR BLUE SIDE STEPS COLD PACK BI-XENON TINTED WINDOWS - AND PROUD OF HER

Post #18533 23rd Apr 2008 11:34 am
npinks

United Kingdom 

Matei wrote:
Anyway we do not know what "several inches" are.

I'll ask the wife Razz Former Mod/Member, with the most post & Chicken George Arch nemesis

Post #18535 23rd Apr 2008 11:43 am
Matei

npinks wrote:
Matei wrote:
Anyway we do not know what "several inches" are.

I'll ask the wife Razz
Rolling with laughter Rolling with laughter Rolling with laughter FREELANDER 2 TD4 SE (XS UK) IZMIR BLUE SIDE STEPS COLD PACK BI-XENON TINTED WINDOWS - AND PROUD OF HER

Post #18536 23rd Apr 2008 11:46 am
muddywheels

England 

Matei wrote:
Anyway we do not know what "several inches" are. Maybe it was not enough to trigger the ESC because if it would have more than the trigger limit and the ESC did not work then obviously the car would have rolled over. So what if the several inches were not so dangerous at all? Of course raising two wheels from the ground would make me feel uneasy to say the least but how dangerouse was it actually?
I don't really think that a software update could solve such a problem because at the end of the day, as said allready, the rollover is dictated by the laws of physics.

The article says

"we think that no vehicle should ever display this behavior"

and

"In 2003 we experienced a similar behavior with the previous generation BMW X5 3.0i. A software change fixed the problem"

That makes me think something is wrong and hopefully a software update will solve it Exclamation

I also want to add that I went to Gaydon for a RRS Supercharged day and was a passenger with a LR test driver putting one through its paces. I could not believe it's ability - 140 mph, some pretty scary weaving and bends on the test track leads me to believe they can solve this if there is a problem Thumbs Up

Post #18537 23rd Apr 2008 11:48 am
Matei

Maybe the dealers would care to comment ? FREELANDER 2 TD4 SE (XS UK) IZMIR BLUE SIDE STEPS COLD PACK BI-XENON TINTED WINDOWS - AND PROUD OF HER

Post #18555 23rd Apr 2008 1:21 pm
riverr02

United States 2007 LR2 i6 HSE Auto Stornoway Grey

I think some of you are missing the boat on this. I know we all love our FL2/LR2's, and some of us want to come up with excuses based on physics for why this test came up the way it did. But the fact remains, as was pointed out by muddywheels and gorjant, that the LR2's poor response to this maneuver is one that is simply not to be expected for vehicles in its class/type. The LR2 simply did not do what other comparable vehicles have routinely done in the past to maintain a secure driving environment. 53 mph may seem like a lot of speed to some of you, but it's a speed that is far below that of most cruising/highway speeds and is one that other vehicles had no difficulty with.

Please don't make excuses for Land Rover or the LR2 simply because you like other aspects of the vehicle. Personally, this would've been a deal-breaker for me had I known this before I purchased the car. If the car has a SERIOUS safety flaw like this, we shouldn't be coming up with excuses that allow LR to ignore the issue. They should be compelled to act on this ASAP. I for one am hoping that a software update could be employed to better sense the changing driving parameters indicative of an impending rollover.

Post #18567 23rd Apr 2008 3:50 pm
muddywheels

England 

I agree!

I would not have purchased my FL2 if I knew there was a safety issue - one of the reasons I did buy it was the 5 star euro ncap.

4wd's instability has been an issue in the past for some brands and will seriously damage the FL2 image if not fixed ASAP.

Mercedes A class problems were very damaging to their brand and it takes a long time to recover.

Post #18569 23rd Apr 2008 4:04 pm
Pete S.

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 SE Auto Sumatra Black

Maybe being naive here but if the FL2 got a 5 star rating in the Euro NCAP tests surely they looked at this aspect of the FL2's handling?

Post #18618 24th Apr 2008 10:47 am
ChrisC

United Kingdom 

Pete S. wrote:
Maybe being naive here but if the FL2 got a 5 star rating in the Euro NCAP tests surely they looked at this aspect of the FL2's handling?

No, currently Euro NCAP does not look at handling.

Freelander 2 Euro NCAP Results

Post #18624 24th Apr 2008 12:47 pm
Gambba

United Arab Emirates 2008 LR2 i6 HSE Auto Stornoway Grey

I would say this about the same test done on any car not just about the FL2/LR2. What the reprot does not say is that they repeated the test multiple times to see the result, but also they mention no figures as to roll and G and how those compared to other vehicles.

These tests are usually done on a test track and aren't very scientific in their approach, i.e. get it up to speed and swerve between point A and B....but that doesn't allow for variations in driver reaction etc. and that is what figures would give.

There may well be a problem but I don't think it right to decide based on a report like this, especially as other cars that have had problem in the past were reported by many motoring reports if I am not mistaken.

My own view is that the on road handling is probably slightly compromised for the offroad ability of the FL2/LR2, but I am yet to find a fault with its handling and really push it round the twisty bits.

If I am not mistaken the ESC system came from Volvo and was probably developed with them in the FL2, so surely they would have done the Swedish Elk avoidance test.....????? Question

Post #18631 24th Apr 2008 3:01 pm
Matei

Matei wrote:
The results of the test can aloso have other causes. I remmember a test done by a German paper on a Romanian made Renault (Logan) in which they said that the car capsized after brousque manoeuvers at 65 Km/h. There were several speculations : alloy wheels beeing too weak, a.so. After replicating the test after Renault protested it was discovered that the reason was that the tyres were worn out during the previous tests.
As long that this so called problem is not properly documented I think that we should not take it at face value.
Anyway when was this test made ? Just after TATA took over ?

I've found this link http://www.netcarshow.com/dacia/2005-logan_1.4_mpi/ confirming what I said above. The test was actually done by ADAC which I think that is the German Automobile Association which is quite prestigious. FREELANDER 2 TD4 SE (XS UK) IZMIR BLUE SIDE STEPS COLD PACK BI-XENON TINTED WINDOWS - AND PROUD OF HER

Post #18671 25th Apr 2008 6:39 am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 2 of 2 <12