Home > Camping, Caravanning and Holidays > 150kg tow bar weight
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
Iamfree2

United Kingdom 
150kg tow bar weight

Hi,

With the 150kg tow bar weight one of the attractions of the FL2 is being able to load bikes on the tow bar and still have capacity to tow the caravan. We currently have folding bikes that are agony much past 10miles and being able to load the bigger bikes would be great. Does anyone do this? I have concerns about clearance between bikes and caravan especially when cornering, any issues?

Say 50kg for bikes and carrier + 80kg for caravan = 130kg

Brian

Post #185831 30th May 2013 9:52 am
mudslinger

Wales 2014 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Lux Auto Sumatra Black
150kg tow bar weight

PUT THE BIKES IN THE CARAVAN ...?? Thumbs Up Wales
Were the mud is thicker, and the ruts are deeper.
(And we have the water to wash it off, and more on the way..! )
Sd4 and chrome Ar*e piece, Auto box for best fun
09 Xs Gone
12 xs Gone
HSE with Leather seats and 4 years warrenty.. staying for now !

Post #185897 30th May 2013 7:16 pm
pab

United Kingdom 2009 Freelander 2 TD4 XS Manual Lago Grey

That was my thought too. Maybe get some bike bags - you'd have to take the wheels off, but they'd give some protection to both bikes and caravan - keep the mud and oil off the upholstery, etc.

Post #185903 30th May 2013 7:58 pm
decho

United Kingdom 2015 Freelander 2 SD4 Metropolis LE Auto Firenze Red

I have the same problem but I've not really solved it yet. I bought whispbar roof bars and thule carriers for the roof but find it quite difficult to get them up there. Thought about buying a small platform as caravan step is still not high enough. Also whispbars are suppose to be quiet but they are not! So i would have to remove them when not in use and thats a bite of a pain..Looked at towing with them on the towbar using a towbar mounted rack as well but I have a detachable. LR towbar and the only one I could find is maxraxx who do an adapter plate but its VERY expensive.. Though about putting them in the caravan but I would have to lose something else from the van otherwise it would be overweight. Seems likes the best bike carriers are the platform one which fit onto the towball but then of course you can't tow! I am thinking maybe about buying a platform rack for normal use and then securing them in the caravan when towing. There are various stands you can get to keep them stable in the van..

Post #185907 30th May 2013 8:42 pm
bambi68

England 2011 Freelander 2 TD4_e XS Manual Zermatt Silver

We've just picked up a maxxraxx of ebay, we need to get 4 bikes on it, and tow the van, we have a hymer with a reasonably long a frame, so I am hoping it shouldn't foul whilst turning.

We shall see. My11 freelander 2, xs, Manual, 18" hse sparkles, sidesteps, privacy, zermatt silver metallic, almond nutmeg alacantra, twin electric towbar

Gone my09 xs D3

Post #186163 2nd Jun 2013 12:58 pm
bambi68

The problem with putting them in the van, (I did it last year) is it sends the nose weight skyward, I ended up putting the awning and frame in the disco and the bikes in the garage in the caravan. Finally managed to get the nose weight to 100kgs by moving stuff around (100kg) is recommended nw on the hymer.

The fl2 boot not really big enough to stuff the awning and frame in hence getting bike rack,

Also if your bikes weigh c50kg then your really going to have to lose some gear out of the van to get your axle weight correct.

Keep us posted My11 freelander 2, xs, Manual, 18" hse sparkles, sidesteps, privacy, zermatt silver metallic, almond nutmeg alacantra, twin electric towbar

Gone my09 xs D3

Post #186164 2nd Jun 2013 1:04 pm
Navigator

Scotland 

If you put bikes in a van and they are over the axle how does that change the nose weight?

The most important factor in chosing a van is the numerical difference between laden and unladen weight. However, the van manufacturers want to sell their vans to the widest range of car owners, so they often deliberately understate the maximum weight because it limits the size of vehicle required to tow. To "re-rate" a van may only require obtaining a new chassis plate from the factory, or perhaps also a set of heftier tyres. Everyone can spread it - Anyone can catch it. Stay home - the life you save can be your own!

Post #186165 2nd Jun 2013 1:26 pm
bambi68

If you get them directly over the axle it won't, but I have a garage in the front of my van and it does. Also the op may not get them directly over the axles,

Just helping to point out the potential areas of risk.

Hymer swing 530kzg My11 freelander 2, xs, Manual, 18" hse sparkles, sidesteps, privacy, zermatt silver metallic, almond nutmeg alacantra, twin electric towbar

Gone my09 xs D3

Post #186170 2nd Jun 2013 1:37 pm
ad210358

England 

With a fixed bed as in mine, there is no way I can get any weight directly an the axle, on the axle and towards the front on mine. A high mounted rack maybe the only way forward me thinks. p****d off with a Digital Keyboard Warrior

Post #186175 2nd Jun 2013 2:12 pm
npinks

United Kingdom 

Saw D3 this weekend with twin axle and a towbar mounted rack did a quite tight turn and bikes got very close to the jockey wheel handle Shocked

I have my van reweighted cost £50 for a new sticker and a bit more air in the wheels

As for bikes, don't take them, just scooters Laughing Former Mod/Member, with the most post & Chicken George Arch nemesis

Post #186182 2nd Jun 2013 4:16 pm
ad210358

England 

If its fouling on the Jockey Wheel, you could always remove the Jockey Wheel whilst your on the move. p****d off with a Digital Keyboard Warrior

Post #186186 2nd Jun 2013 4:56 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1