Forum-Gallery-Shop-Sponsors

« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > Finance & Insurance > Land Rover Insurance - modifications?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
StephenMG

Wales 2015 Freelander 2 TD4 SE Manual Fuji White
Land Rover Insurance - modifications?

Hi all,

I've just taken delivery of my FL2 which is a pre-registered (100 miles on the clock) 2012 GS. I've taken out insurance with Land Rover Insurance who, while not the cheapest, seemed reasonable and I liked the idea of Land Rover themselves looking after the car in the event of a claim.

Anyway, when I got the online quote I said 'no modifications' as I thought the car was standard GS spec. However, having just stumbled upon a downloadable 2012 price list I now see that the spoiler, privacy glass and 18" alloys that the car came with appear to be factory fitted options rather than standard spec.

Has anyone else got used LR Insurance? Do these need to be declared as 'modifications' even though they are options clearly specififed by the dealer when they ordered the car.

I do plan to ring Land Rover Insurance when my paperwork comes through but thought I'd ask you chaps here first for a 'heads up'.

Thanks.

Post #169771 30th Jan 2013 4:12 pm
lespes

2011 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Auto Indus Silver

I have had LR ins for last 4 years.

Think genuine accessories are fine should be conditions somewhere.. Best to phone and check, I have notified them of AT tyre fitment and wheel size changes and voluntary work with car, all no problem OR increase in premiums.

One of the companies on the insurers list now, where tyre changes do not have to notified, when I spoke to them said in their view it was sensible and safer, but alas no reduction in premium was given.

Post #169779 30th Jan 2013 5:16 pm
EYorkshire

I have had LR's insurance since new (3rd year now) and no rise in premium for my 18" LR wheels upgrade.

Post #169780 30th Jan 2013 5:25 pm
npinks

United Kingdom 

i find them quite helpful, give them a ring Thumbs Up Former Mod/Member, with the most post & Chicken George Arch nemesis

Post #169782 30th Jan 2013 5:30 pm
StephenMG

Thanks chaps, that's set my mind at ease. I'm hoping the paperwork will arrive tomorrow (I bought the insurance online) so I can see the Ts and Cs, conditions etc.. I'll give them a ring to be 100% certain anyway.

Thumbs Up

Post #169786 30th Jan 2013 6:07 pm
The Valeter

United Kingdom 2015 Freelander 2 SD4 Metropolis LE Auto Santorini Black

I have allways been lead to believe that anything you fit and is not fitted by the manufacturer or a dealer is a modification.
However I spoke to Landrover insurance recently about my new Evoque as I was thinking about putting all the Dynamic body parts including exhaust on a new Pure model & asked how much it would change the policy & I was told NOTHING as they are Landrover parts = Result. i'm not now doing that anyway but at the time was thinking. (Past) Freelander 2 HSE 2010 MY In Rimini Red.
(Past) RR Evoque Dynamic Lux Si4 In Firenze Red.
(Past) RR Evouque Pure Tech in Barollo Black with bespoke Firenze Red colour coding.
(Present) Freelander Metropolis 2015 MY In Santorini Black with Ivory Premium Leather.

Post #169815 30th Jan 2013 10:42 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
toeknee

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 SE Manual Sumatra Black

Very strange, when renewing my policy with LR insurance I phoned them to see if they could reduce the quote, after a few minutes I mentioned the wheels and that they were 18" oh well that's a modification sir ! I said they were genuine LR, but as they were not fitted from new, they would class them as a modification. Same applies to rear spoiler and tow bar ! Even though there ll genuine LR

Went with Admril in the end

Post #169821 30th Jan 2013 11:54 pm
StephenMG

For info, I have now spoken to Land Rover Insurance and asked them about the factory fitted options on my car. They said that as they weren't performance enhancing options then it wouldn't make any difference to my premium. They made a note of the options on my records but weren't bothered at all about them other than that.

Good on Land Rover Insurance! Thumbs Up

Post #170627 5th Feb 2013 3:54 pm
nick2013

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 HST Auto Fuji White

Hi,
I was just looking online to get quotes for a fl2 I am hoping to buy, it's an HSE but has the HST bodykit.
So, I fill in all the boxes and click 'bodykit' in the modifications section and get a quote of £400.

I then find out it was on there from new, so I unclick the box and get a quote of £250 WTF!!!

The best of it is, nearly all the companies stipulate a market price, in my case it's 2,500 less than i'm paying and also they do not include modifications in their payouts

To confuse me even more, the Freelander is costing more to insure than a Jaguar Xf that cost 3 times more ???

Post #182110 28th Apr 2013 11:36 pm
nick2013

Unnecessary quote removed

Ok, just spoke with my insurer and he wasn't too concerned about the HST variant of the HSE model.
Obviously better to talk things through where mods are concerned.
A case where doing an online quote would have cost a lot more.

Post #182221 29th Apr 2013 10:48 pm
npinks

United Kingdom 

There isn't a HST variant of a HSE

There's is a HST, (based in the old SE) or

A HSE with a HST bodykit added Confused Former Mod/Member, with the most post & Chicken George Arch nemesis

Post #182223 29th Apr 2013 10:56 pm
nick2013

Ok, so it's an HSE with HST kit added , but the issue is, this HSE was bought from new with the kit on and the insurer seems ok with this. Other insurers want to bump up the premiums for any modification and still not pay any extra if they have to payout. I.E. changing 18" alloys to a set of 19"- How does this make you a higher risk with insurers ?

Post #182234 30th Apr 2013 8:17 am
ad210358

England 

They do because they can, some insurances refuse to cover you with any modification, the Co Op for one, will not insure you if you fit a tailgate spoiler, but if it comes from the factory with it they are ok with that. p****d off with a Digital Keyboard Warrior

Post #182305 30th Apr 2013 7:15 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1