Forum-Gallery-Shop-Sponsors

« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > General > High price for Easter Eggs!
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 2 <12
Print this entire topic · 
edh

England 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Manual Santorini Black

Rapierwit wrote:
Bad luck Nick.........absolute pain in the Censored

I saw this in the DT today and it makes interesting reading. Particularly as far as insurance premiums go Evil or Very Mad

Top ten riskiest for theft (percentage above national average):

Nottingham 63.3%

London 50.8%

Bristol 50.7%

Stockport 49.8%

Leeds 46.3%

Manchester 46%

Hull 39.4%

Cambridge 35.6%

Sheffield 27.6%

Reading 25.9%

Top ten safest for theft (percentage below national average)

Guildford 82%

Dundee 55.3%

Norwich 54.1%

Swindon 49.4%

Bath 45.8%

Aberdeen 45.7%

Preston 35.7%

Exeter 34.9%

Chester 33.6%

Belfast 33.6%.

Top ten riskiest for accidents (percentage above national average):

Bournemouth 55.2%

Milton Keynes 37.8%

Newport 37%

Hove 30.1%

Plymouth 26.5%

Brighton 19.2%

Derby 16.8%

Northampton 16.7%

Bath 12.9%

Cheltenham 12.2%

Top ten safest for accidents (percentage below national average)

Manchester 43.4%

Leeds 40%

York 34.7%

Newcastle upon Tyne 30.9%

Guildford 28.2%

Liverpool 28.2%

Belfast 28.1%

Swindon 25.6%

Birmingham 24.8%

Reading 20.9%.

Moral of the story - move somewhere close to Guildford. Oh I already do hooray. Rolling with laughter Still lowlife scum around though. Will be sod's law after writing this that my pride and joy gets a window banged in. 08 Santorini Black HSE manual with DAB and privacy glass

Post #16523 25th Mar 2008 11:30 pm
Nick Jan

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 SE Auto Stornoway Grey
thx

Thanks for all your supportive comments and suggestions etc. Smile

I was wondering about the suggestion that applying film made it much harder to break into the vehicle. In my case, would that really have helped? The guy would surely have still broken the rear screen, even if he couldn't extract the Easter Eggs through the film and glass combination. Or have I mis-understood?
Confused Life is not a dress rehearsal!

Post #16527 26th Mar 2008 12:51 am
chicken george

United Kingdom 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 XS Manual Santorini Black

I think the film is only good if you carry much more than easter eggs on a regular basis, or if you can get a decent insurance discount because of it.

Post #16528 26th Mar 2008 1:03 am
Gambba

United Arab Emirates 2008 LR2 i6 HSE Auto Stornoway Grey
Re: thx

Nick Jan wrote:
Thanks for all your supportive comments and suggestions etc. Smile

I was wondering about the suggestion that applying film made it much harder to break into the vehicle. In my case, would that really have helped? The guy would surely have still broken the rear screen, even if he couldn't extract the Easter Eggs through the film and glass combination. Or have I mis-understood?
Confused

Nick, my thought is here with the film is that it firstly takes a lot longer for a thief to break in and thus can prevent them stealing what they wanted to get their dirty theiving mits on, or better yet extends the amount of time they are around the car with its alarm blaring so that someone might actually ID them.

Try smashing a lamintated front screen and you'll find it is a real pain and doesn't simply smash, unlike tempered glass which is brittle and used on all the other glass in cars. The films basically provide a leseer version of laminated glass, meaning that the galss stays together when it is broken.

In addition if your window is broken then there is less glass to clear up afterwards as it is still attached to the film, and another important often overlooked issue is that in an accident should a window smash then you prevent (or reduce) flying glass coming into the cabin area.

If you go for a film that is a security film and has heat rejection properties (doesn't have to be tinted) then you get benifits for safety and security as well as keeping the temperature inside the car down during hot days..........OK there aren't so many in the UK these days, but when there are you'll feel the difference!

So window films can have a lot to offer. Thumbs Up

Post #16532 26th Mar 2008 8:05 am
Tandemman

England 2009 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Auto Rimini Red

Of course if you have an accident then escaping from a side window by smashing it becomes impossible when you have fitted security film
Shocked

Post #16541 26th Mar 2008 9:25 am
npinks

United Kingdom 

Tandemman wrote:
Of course if you have an accident then escaping from a side window by smashing it becomes impossible when you have fitted security film
Shocked

Actually it doesn't become impossable to esacpe Shocked (as i first thought)

It is designed so it can be broken and pushed out from the inside in the event of a accident the smashed glass comes away in one piece to prevent flying glass too. Former Mod/Member, with the most post & Chicken George Arch nemesis

Post #16543 26th Mar 2008 10:18 am
ChrisC

United Kingdom 
Re: High price for Easter Eggs!

Nick Jan wrote:

On checking an hour or two later we discovered to our horror, that someone had indeed broken in the Landy, by smashing in the rear window and grabbing the one bag left in there, containing 5 modest sized Easter Eggs. Evil or Very Mad Of course there were shards of glass, and fine glass dust everywhere inside and out. Big Cry

I am shocked, was the bag on show? or was the bag covered by the load cover.

It remind me of when my X3's rear window smashed on my dirve at home, but I am to this day non the wiser for a reason. The luggage area was uncovered, and my wife's hand bag and kids portable DVD players where on show (my wifes bad habbit not mine), but nothing was taken, and there was no object in the car from breaking the glass??? The alarm never went off, another example of top quality german cars Thumbs Up I hope it's not anti 4x4 thing, and Bolly my landy will suffer the same treatment.

Post #16871 30th Mar 2008 11:02 pm
npinks

United Kingdom 

Not sure if the offer is open to Freelander 2's as its been posted on Disco3 and RRSport

One of the members has possibley arranged a group buy discounted price for the laminated security glass, from his post this can be clear or tinted.

It maybe worth a post of on the main forum to ask if the deal can be done for the FL2 if your looking at this, or if this could benefit you due to the equipment your stow in the boot.

heres a link to the original post on disco3

http://www.disco3.co.uk/forum/topic20192.html

Nick Former Mod/Member, with the most post & Chicken George Arch nemesis

Post #17012 2nd Apr 2008 3:15 pm
90BHP

United Kingdom 

Hi - it's my Group Buy. Yes It's open to FL2 owners, and posted on RRS too Thumbs Up

Price will be the same for you guys, if you read page one you can work out the discount we have managed to get. There is also a tinting only option for those not fussed about having their eggs stolen.

Couple of things, the X3 - they used a spark plug or centre punch to break it without the alarm going off Whistle

One of the reasons for having the film is that although they may damage the window, in almost every case you will be able to continue your journey and not have to wait road side for autoglass or similar. Of course you will need to replace - but without a wind in your hair journey Thumbs Up "To finish first, one first has to finish"

Post #17153 4th Apr 2008 11:02 pm
90BHP

United Kingdom 

This is up and Running - anyone interested ? "To finish first, one first has to finish"

Post #17547 10th Apr 2008 9:32 am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 2 of 2 <12