« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > Site News & Feedback > Wiki?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
Steve D

United Kingdom 
Wiki?

Are there any plans for a 'Wiki' section for Freel2 like they have on the sister site, Disco3 or even just a Freelander 2 model and specifications section? http://www.disco3.co.uk/wiki/Home Past: FL2 TD4 HSE Auto
Evoque SD4 Dynamic Lux Auto
Present: Audi A3 S Line.

Post #171735 15th Feb 2013 7:40 am
pab

United Kingdom 2009 Freelander 2 TD4 XS Manual Lago Grey

Sounds like a good idea. There's a lot of useful information hidden away in the forums which could be made more easily accessible through a wiki. It would take a bit of work to 'bootstrap' it, but that's something people on here seem prepared to do.

Post #171748 15th Feb 2013 10:22 am
taztastic

England 

I understand Martin was looking at various options for Freel2 this very week so watch this space for more developments, I dont what precisely is in planning but it will benefit the forum in general Thumbs Up

Post #171754 15th Feb 2013 11:28 am
EYorkshire

Sounds good Thumbs Up
If there is any 'backroom' work that a lowly member could assist in then I'm up for volunteering my time and fingers.

Post #171756 15th Feb 2013 11:42 am
pab

The good thing about a wiki is that we can all help. E.g. we can all look through our own previous posts looking for how-tos, etc, tidy them up a bit, and re-post on the wiki. Or volunteer to write new how-tos or informationals. It just needs someone to propose the initial layout, then a sort of managed anarchy can take over! (And yes, I know it's not anarchy if it's managed, but you know what I mean Smile )

Post #171758 15th Feb 2013 12:10 pm
Martin
Site Admin & Owner

United Kingdom 

Sadly, although the DISCO3 site has a wiki is it basically only me and the moderators who contribute to it, which is a massive shame Sad

Post #171766 15th Feb 2013 3:54 pm
pab

Martin, it's always difficult to get people to contribute to something like this, as there is inevitably a not-insignificant learning curve, but there are a few things you could try. (Probably already have tried, but just in case...)

At first glance the D3 wiki is a little off-putting - it sounds as though there is an elite group (the KB Editors) and access is limited to them. It could perhaps be made clearer that in fact you welcome contributions form 'ordinary' members and anyone can be a KB Editor.

Then there are ways you can make it easy for people to contribute - e.g. invite them to send the contributions to you (or some other identified KB editor) in whatever way they like, then you add it to the wiki. (This saves them having to learn how to use the wiki, and has the added advantage that you can decide where the contribution goes and whether it's suitable.)

You (and others) can look out for forum posts which have the makings of wiki pages and either simply copy-and-paste them (with the author's permission if you feel that appropriate) into the wiki, or if the post isn't quite suitable you could invite them to contribute a version to the wiki, or even copy the article over as-is and invite the author to tidy it up in the wiki itself.

You could also create a core group of editors whose 'job' it is to help you manage the wiki and carry out some of the above tasks on your behalf.

I'm not saying it will be easy (it never is) but there should already be enough suitable forum posts to make a genuinely useful wiki if we can find a way to get them across there and get them licked into shape.

Post #171772 15th Feb 2013 5:22 pm
Phil S

As an ex Disco owner, and still a DISCO3 member, all I can say is that the Wiki section is bloody fanstastic

A FL2 one would be most welcome

Cheers
Phil

Post #171773 15th Feb 2013 5:23 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
npinks

United Kingdom 

there is always the sticky at the top of the maintenance section Whistle

http://www.freel2.com/forum/topic13888.html Former Mod/Member, with the most post & Chicken George Arch nemesis

Post #171776 15th Feb 2013 5:36 pm
EYorkshire

and an excellent job you did there Thumbs Up that was a step in the right direction.

Post #171777 15th Feb 2013 5:40 pm
pab

I also wonder if there's a (relatively easy) way of making certain information available within all of the forums/wikis. A product review area, for example, for non-model-specific products. This could be anything from dog cages, through insulated coffee cups (and indeed coffee!), to car cameras and LED torches, and would be of interest across all the forums. Just a thought...

Post #171778 15th Feb 2013 5:54 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1