Forum-Gallery-Shop-Sponsors

« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > Australia & New Zealand > Fraser on the weekend... fuel tank hole.
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
spelchek

2009 Freelander 2 TD4 SE Auto Alaska White
Fraser on the weekend... fuel tank hole.

Hi all,

Went to Fraser for the weekend. Atrocious track conditions with the sand very very dry, soft and cut up. Stayed at kingfisher resort so most of our driving was on the tracks. Landy handled it like an absolute bloody champ. Got stuck just out of the resort on the first day - just a bit tentative with the throttle and not enough run up to get thru a really soft section. Tyres down from 24 to 19 , and we went no worries once we got snatched out. Got stuck again on last day - basically same thing. Had to slow for a series of big 'whoops' just before a sticky section. Got out, slightly different route and off we went. About 200k of bloody rough sand track driving for 2 minor bogs. Pretty bloody sensational for a stock car I reckon.

Anyway... on cleaning the car today I discover a very small leak in the tank (diesel) caused by a branch - the tip still in it plugging it for now. Anyone got any suggestions to fix it? Is there a product out there that will plug a hole ion a plastic diesel tank without needing to remove the tank? The hole is very easy to access so if I can fix it in-car i'd be very happy.

By the ay, if you read this - How did you go, Rawlo?

Oh - and I still owe an AAR for my Fraser trip last year which I hereby vow to post this week. I'm sure many here will enjoy it and it might give some info for future members researching fraser. Can't quite believe it was a year ago now.

Post #163870 10th Dec 2012 4:29 am
mikehzz

Australia 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 SE Auto Lago Grey

There are places that do plastic welding. I've also heard of plastic tanks being fixed with a soldering iron, very carefully of course. Smile I always drop to 15psi on sand because I have noted consistently that really experienced people who drive on soft sand all the time drop down that low as a matter of course. I have been told by them that they got sick of getting stuck and letting more air out of the tyres so they just cut out the middle process. You will very rarely get stuck at 15psi and the car likes it a lot better. The ranger at Stockton a few weeks ago came along our convoy waiting to enter the dunes and said if we didn't drop to 15psi at least then to ping off and go home. He was sick of pulling people out and got a bit shirty. Smile

Post #163877 10th Dec 2012 9:35 am
spelchek

That's quite interesting Mike. Have you had any trouble with the 15psi once you get off the dunes and onto beach? Just stay careful with respect to steering and braking with that pressure?

As for the leak - going to try a screw with suitable washer (neoprene I think?) t`o see if that works. If not I'm definitely considering taking a few teaspoons of concrete and trying the plastic welding myself. Have done a bit of research this arvo and it doesn't look like rocket surgery.

Post #163879 10th Dec 2012 10:07 am
mikehzz

No never had a problem at 15 with quite a number of cars over many years. Always on sand you only risk rolling a tyre off the rim if you really swerve suddenly. Never really have to brake that hard either. I've been stuck in super soft sand a couple of times and the experts recovering me have asked me to drop to 10 psi on each occasion but they have always warned me to be careful down that low because the risk of rolling a tyre is a lot greater. Once extracted they recommended I get back up to 15 as soon as possible. I was on a beach in South Australia once near Robe and nothing worked, the rescue vehicles were all getting bogged as well and the waves were lapping my passenger wheels. Three winch extension straps and the winch cable out full on a Toyota Troopy who couldn't get close was all that saved my car Smile My main teacher was a guy who ran tag along tours for a living in a Landcruiser Prado up at Stockton. A really skilled driver he surprised me with how low he ran his tyres (15) on a relatively big car. I would say that 18psi is more common on sand with a bigger heavier car like a Landcruiser or Patrol. I always ask anyone I meet what pressure they are running whether it's on sand, rocks or gravel and then ask what their tyres are like for future reference. I've now tried all the surfaces at all the different pressures and know what I like. Cheers.

Post #163902 10th Dec 2012 2:25 pm
spelchek

Cheers mike - I'll definitely use 15 if the tracks look like they did again. In Sep last year I never once even struggled at 23psi - towing a trailer no less.

Post #164019 11th Dec 2012 4:28 am
mikehzz

Yes the FL2 is pretty good no matter what. I went up Big Red out in the Simpson near Birdsville with 35psi in the tyres because I thought I'd stop and let the tyres down when I thought they needed it but they never did Smile I was feeling lazy that day.

Post #164020 11th Dec 2012 6:38 am
egipp

Australia 2009 Freelander 2 i6 SE Auto Santorini Black

Hi spelchek, On the hole in the tank Loctite Radiator Repair is apparently suitable and simple, Cargo Quicksteel Putty also does the job - if you Google 'JB Weld It' that also comes up with possible solutions.
Good luck with it.

Post #164086 11th Dec 2012 9:06 pm
spelchek

Hi all,

Ran the tank with the screw/nylon washer up until 2 weeks ago when I had the tank replaced. $1300-ish all up. Luckily insurance covered it.

BTW - does anyone know if they increased the tank size in the latest fl2's? my computer is giving me greater range estimates than I used to get.

Post #170789 7th Feb 2013 7:39 am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1