Home > Technical > Remap compared with Sand mode
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Print this entire topic · 
Mr K

England 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 SE Manual Zermatt Silver
Remap compared with Sand mode

Hi
I am considering getting a remap soon as I love the performance when in Sand mode, can anyone tell me how much better the performance is with a remap (I know it varies from map to map), will it be anything like the performance when in Sand mode as that is pretty quick?

Thanks

Last edited by Mr K on 25th Jan 2013 1:09 pm. Edited 1 time in total

Post #168977 25th Jan 2013 1:02 pm
taztastic

England 

Do you mean "sand" mode as snow mode dulls the power Rolling Eyes

Post #168980 25th Jan 2013 1:07 pm
Mr K

yes, sorry 'Sand' mode, post edited Laughing

Post #168981 25th Jan 2013 1:09 pm
Bottom

Scotland 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Sumatra Black

You don't get any more performance out of sand mode, it just adjusts the throttle settings so the throttle opens faster, you get the power coming in faster but there is no more in total.

It's absolutely nothing like the increased performance you get with a remap so get it done! Smile

Post #168989 25th Jan 2013 1:45 pm
Mr K

I have spent all afternoon calling local independent LR garages that do remaps, they use Autologic, but none of them can tell me how much or what the specs are so I visited the Autologic website and nothing there, so I called them, they said it has been taken off their site but she can tell me the numbers over the phone, 20Bhp increase from 132 to 150, my maths isn't great but that's not right!
I asked if she had a PDF she could email me, but she didn't!

If they put the same amount of effort into creating the map as they do into marketing it then it can't be very good, guess I'll look elsewhere!

Post #169018 25th Jan 2013 4:54 pm
Free2go

Australia 2013 Freelander 2 SD4 SE Auto Fuji White

Go with a tuning chip. The good ones are plug n play. They come with the same connectors as your vehicle so you can easily remove it if you need dealer servicing. I'm looking at using the Chip Express one. On the SD4 140kw increases to 179kw. Torque increases from 420Nm to 549Nm. Eliminates turbo lag. "I'm a fuel injected suicide machine"

Post #169102 25th Jan 2013 11:15 pm
rjc1944

England 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Stornoway Grey

What does it do to your insurance premium? Ours - 2008 Stornoway Grey HSE Auto
Tricia's - 2006 Royal Blue Beetle Cabriolet Auto
Mine - 2014 Vespa GTS 300 Super Sport Matt Black
Ours - 2007 White Bailey Pageant Champagne

Post #169103 25th Jan 2013 11:28 pm
Mav71

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Manual Stornoway Grey

Superchips bluefin is a good one as you can drop in the original map when ever you want. regarding insurance, it depends who you are with and what your circumstances.

I was charged about another £40. Freelander 2 HSE Lux 2013MY - Barolo Black with Ivory Leather. Alpine DVD - Privacy -Evoque 20" Dynamic Wheels and more to come.........

Post #169214 26th Jan 2013 5:56 pm
flylr

2013 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Auto Santorini Black

I would not remap a manual. Clutch/DMF struggles to cope with standard power and torque. (Coming) 2016 RR Evoque td4 180 HSE Dynamc
(Going) 2013 TD4 GS Auto - Santorini Black with black leather. Cold Climate, UK Lighting & Armrest Packs. Privacy Glass. LR Rubber Mats. Full size spare.
60 000 miles averaging 35mpg

(Gone) 2010 TD4 Manual GS - Stornoway Grey. Sold at 3yrs old & 64k miles. Final average consumption 39.2mpg.

Post #169291 27th Jan 2013 12:04 am
Past master

United Kingdom 

Interesting to consider what would happen if you bought one of these "chipped" cars second-hand. Could invalidate your warranty and your insurance without your ever realising it until crunch time.

Post #169435 27th Jan 2013 9:12 pm
Mav71

flylr wrote:
I would not remap a manual. Clutch/DMF struggles to cope with standard power and torque.

Sorry but his sort of answer really winds me up. So where did you come to this conclusion.

I have owned mine for 5/ 1/2 years and it has been re-mapped with Blufin for just over 5 years. 45,000 miles covered since it was done, and still on the same DMF which is still perfect.

Clutch was changed but this was down to faulty clutches being fitted to early cars, just after the map was done.

So your comments are total rubbish. The SD4 Evoque runs the same clutch, DMF and gearbox as the Freelander 2, which produces the same figures as a re-mapped Freelander. Freelander 2 HSE Lux 2013MY - Barolo Black with Ivory Leather. Alpine DVD - Privacy -Evoque 20" Dynamic Wheels and more to come.........

Last edited by Mav71 on 28th Jan 2013 9:38 am. Edited 1 time in total

Post #169483 28th Jan 2013 9:32 am
Mav71

Past master wrote:
Interesting to consider what would happen if you bought one of these "chipped" cars second-hand. Could invalidate your warranty and your insurance without your ever realising it until crunch time.

All insurance policies have in the small print something on the lines of, "information provided to the best of your knowledge"

This is designed to protect those that buy cars who don't know they have been modified.

My friend had a similar issue with the 19" wheels on his 2nd hand FL2. They had been added by e first owner, and he was the third. After an accident, the insurance informed him that his car left the factory with 17" wheels and why had he not declared the different wheels.

He stated and proved that he bought it like it, and the insurance took no further action, paid the claim and didn't charge for the the wheels. Freelander 2 HSE Lux 2013MY - Barolo Black with Ivory Leather. Alpine DVD - Privacy -Evoque 20" Dynamic Wheels and more to come.........

Post #169486 28th Jan 2013 9:37 am
Robbie1

United Kingdom 2011 Freelander 2 SD4 XS Auto Bali Blue

I had my56 td4 manual done by alive tuning at one of the big land rover shows for £250 There is a show coming up soon at Harrogate. If you can wait until may you can get some good deals at the shows

Post #169489 28th Jan 2013 9:52 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Past master

United Kingdom 

Mav71 - That's the sensible solution, and you would hope it would be the case always. Still a bit worrying though. I suspect that if you bought from a LR dealer you would have no problem, but if say you bought privately it could be a bit dodgy.

Deuteronomiser, I think you missed the point - if I chip my own car then I sort out my insurance. If I unknowingly buy a car that has been chipped (for example if the previous owner has forgotten to add the go-faster stripes and spoiler) then I think the ground I am on is much less firm.

Post #169510 28th Jan 2013 1:50 pm
flylr

2013 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Auto Santorini Black

To me it is just common sense. The clutch/dmf is a weak point on these vehicles. It's a conclusion drawn from simply spending a long time on this forum and what 2 dealers have confirmed.

I cant comment on whether the Evoque is the exact same clutch/dmf/gearbox and ratios - but it is a fair bit lighter than the freelander which helps reduce stress on the drivetrain.

A new map can be written in such a way that the torque curve is controlled in all or certain gears to alleviate stress on the drivetrain (which is what any manufacturer would do if necessary - and rumoured to have done on the Freelander) but can you be sure that all aftermarket mappers will do this? Bluefin may well have taken this all into account but I doubt all mappers would. Obviously driving style is relevant - you can squeeze umpteen extra bhp out of an engine by way of a remap, bigger turbo etc - and if driven sympathetically everything will last, but if driven with vigour may cause a component failure that may not have happened on the standard spec.

And when all is said and done, if your 190bhp evoque trashes the clutch under warranty you have a chance of claiming, if your remapped freelander does then you dont have a leg to stand on unless of course you cover it up.

Feel free to continue to be wound up but I stand by this statement. It is my opinion and I would personally not remap a manual Freelander or recommend anyone else does the same unless they are willing to take the risk. You were, and I am pleased to note are happy with the result. But a handful of success stories is not enough to prove the reliability of a remap as a general rule.

Mav71 wrote:
flylr wrote:
I would not remap a manual. Clutch/DMF struggles to cope with standard power and torque.

Sorry but his sort of answer really winds me up. So where did you come to this conclusion.

I have owned mine for 5/ 1/2 years and it has been re-mapped with Blufin for just over 5 years. 45,000 miles covered since it was done, and still on the same DMF which is still perfect.

Clutch was changed but this was down to faulty clutches being fitted to early cars, just after the map was done.

So your comments are total rubbish. The SD4 Evoque runs the same clutch, DMF and gearbox as the Freelander 2, which produces the same figures as a re-mapped Freelander.
 (Coming) 2016 RR Evoque td4 180 HSE Dynamc
(Going) 2013 TD4 GS Auto - Santorini Black with black leather. Cold Climate, UK Lighting & Armrest Packs. Privacy Glass. LR Rubber Mats. Full size spare.
60 000 miles averaging 35mpg

(Gone) 2010 TD4 Manual GS - Stornoway Grey. Sold at 3yrs old & 64k miles. Final average consumption 39.2mpg.

Post #169517 28th Jan 2013 2:25 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>