« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > Maintenance & Modifications > Problems demisting
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Print this entire topic · 
Pointsman

United Kingdom 2009 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Santorini Black
Problems demisting

I have stalked this web site for weeks whilst deciding to buy and then choosing my Feelander2. I have now found a 2009 HSE Auto with 44,000 miles and great history. I don't quite own it yet (deposit paid) and it has already gone wrong!

Not a main LR dealer but a local outlet with high class motors on the forecourt. I noticed yesterday when dropping some paperwork off that the screen was misted (condensation) on the inside but thought nothing of it. This morning I can't pick it up because they can't clear the condensation and think the air conditioning has packed up. At the moment I am promised a quick result but I'm a bit dubious.

Anyone had a similar experience? I imagine this will cost the dealer plenty.

Post #166463 8th Jan 2013 12:22 pm
npinks

United Kingdom 

even a blower without air con will clear the condensation eventually, but if the moistures is not let out then it will keeping coming back.

I get front condensation and a blip on the heated window and blow using the PROG button clears this and any built up on the rear window easily.

Ask them to check for wet carpets, this could be a sign of the air con drainage pipe coming loose and leaking into the footwells Former Mod/Member, with the most post & Chicken George Arch nemesis

Post #166465 8th Jan 2013 12:48 pm
chicken george

United Kingdom 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 XS Manual Santorini Black

drain pipe is a likely cause, or maybe overzealous washing by the garage staff, try alternating between freezing cold full air con and red hot as you drive, this will lift the moisture and expell it At work
At home

"I can't always believe facts I read on the web" - Charles Dickens

winner by default of the tractor vs caravan race

Post #166468 8th Jan 2013 1:15 pm
pab

United Kingdom 2009 Freelander 2 TD4 XS Manual Lago Grey

If the car has been standing unused outside for any length of time, particularly with last autumn's weather, it is likely to have built up more than just ordinary condensation - the atmosphere inside will be pretty damp, and will take a bit of clearing. The best way, having cleared the windows first of course, is a decent run with the heater on and recirculation off - that should help dry it out.

Also, if the dealer's not a LR dealer I wonder if he's fully familiar with the workings of the aircon. The HSE has the automatic climate control with a dedicated demist programme (is he using that?), but this doesn't usually turn the fans on full and better results can be obtained by setting the defrost programme mode and then manually turning the fan control to maximum.

I'd be tempted to clear the windows (eg with a chamois) then give the car a run - you'll soon get a feel for whether the climate control is working properly or not. And do check the carpets and seats for damp - someone may have left a window open during a rainstorm!

Post #166469 8th Jan 2013 1:16 pm
Pointsman

As a new owner I must say that this site is invaluable.
Have spoken to them again and it seems that the motor that has failed is the blower (fan) rather than the air conditioning. A resistor has packed up apparently and although repairable they would rather fit a new blower motor. Sounds promising and I can have the car tomorrow but will definately be testing the carpets under the front mats.
I will keep you all posted on the results since every saga like this adds to the knowledge base.

Post #166470 8th Jan 2013 1:17 pm
wingit

United Kingdom 2010 Freelander 2 TD4_e GS Manual Santorini Black

I've owned my 2010MY Freely for nearly 3 years from new.

I picked it up at the end of May2010.

The 1st winter whenever the temp went down to close to zero or below,
the entire interior glass including sun roofs and interior mirror were covered in
heavy condensation.

I carried out all the checks that were mentioned on this website.
Put the car into the dealership.
They could not understand what was causing it.

Anyway this happened every winter since 2010, but was getting progressively
worse each winter.

I even bought 2 large (dessicant) bags of industrial size. Still got heavy condensation!

This winter, at times I had to put the hood up on my jacket to stop the water drops distracting me.

Eventually, I agreed to the dealership fitting a new filter and renewing the air-con gas.

That actually worked! No more internal fog/dripping/damp.

I'm now having talks with LR Customer Retention Team about getting a refund for a problem that was there from day one.

It would appear that the air-con system was not fully charged from day one!

My advice is to get them to re-charge the air-con.

Cheers

Post #166474 8th Jan 2013 1:45 pm
pab

Wingit, do you leave your ventilation on recycle all the time? Even with the aircon not working you shouldn't be having problems like that! Many cars don't have aircon, and they're not damp all the time. The now-working aircon may be masking a different problem.

Post #166481 8th Jan 2013 3:12 pm
EYorkshire

Quote:
do you leave your ventilation on recycle all the time?

If the MY10 is the same as my MY11 then the 'recycle' mode times out automatically after a couple of minutes and reverts to fresh air intake. You then have to depress again for recycle mode.

Post #166483 8th Jan 2013 3:41 pm
pab

Makes sense. I've never actually used recycle as far as I can recall, so I've not noticed how it works!

Post #166485 8th Jan 2013 3:51 pm
EYorkshire

I only found out by experimenting one day.

I was in slow moving traffic in the city and it was one of those weather conditions where the traffic fumes stay low on the ground, the traffics exhaust fumes were entering the cabin so I turned on 'recycle' to help stop the fumes from being drawn in.

Didn't work as it kept recycling the smelly air, but now if I see it happening again I shut windows and switch on 'recycle' while the air is still clean, unfortunately it keeps switching back to fresh air after a few minutes. Obviously the logic being that it will eventually mist up if it didn't.

Post #166488 8th Jan 2013 4:19 pm
chicken george

United Kingdom 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 XS Manual Santorini Black

leave it on re-cycle and co2 in your breath could build up making you drowsy. unlikely but manufacturers dont want sueing if this does cause an accident At work
At home

"I can't always believe facts I read on the web" - Charles Dickens

winner by default of the tractor vs caravan race

Post #166492 8th Jan 2013 4:50 pm
Pointsman

Well I have had a good search on here and if this car has had a resistor fail on the heater blower then it is the first such reported incident on Freel2 and the mechanic should be given a medal for such a speedy diagnosis of a cheap fix.
I really think that duff air con or HVAC unit (whatever that may be) are more likely candidates based upon the posts here.

I certainly have a new list of things to check tomorrow (wet carpets etc) before handing over the rest of my hard earned.

I do hope I have done the right thing. I am trading in a Golf R32 that has not had one unscheduled visit to VW in the (nearly) 4 years I have owned it.

Post #166507 8th Jan 2013 6:14 pm
Pegleg

Wales 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Santorini Black

Make sure the HVAC is fully working.
It communicates on low speed CAN and can be a nightmare to fix.
Turn both temp dials right down and make sure within a couple mins it's freezing. Another member of the failed FL2 clutch/DMF club, twice.

Post #166571 9th Jan 2013 12:08 am
Ben Twillie

United Kingdom 2011 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Auto Ipanema Sand

EYorkshire wrote:
Quote:
do you leave your ventilation on recycle all the time?

If the MY10 is the same as my MY11 then the 'recycle' mode times out automatically after a couple of minutes and reverts to fresh air intake. You then have to depress again for recycle mode.

Not quite true. A single press selects recirculation for 4 minutes then it reverts to fresh air. Pressing and holding the button will select recirculation until it is manually switched off and this is indicated by three flashes of the lamp.

CG's thought that someone is looking after you is a nice one, but if you want to render yourself unconscious you can Shocked

Post #166629 9th Jan 2013 4:03 pm
Pointsman

Ok so I've got the car and whats more it even fits in my garage. (have to fiddle with the wing mirrors a bit!)
The dealer apparently has LR diagnostic software and was able to identify the damaged resistor with it. Its fixed and the fan works perfectly and silently. Thanks to this forum I checked that the footwells were dry, tried the air con (freezing) and checked the seat heaters - all good.

I was ready for the hesitation from a standstill - but its not there. I was on the look out for rattles but all was peaceful. (The stereo is very loud, I'm impressed.)

Filled up and got diesel all over my shoes but don't blame the FL. and got 32 mpg on the way home where my Golf would have done 22.

Bluetooth is talking to my IPhone, so one way or another I am a very happy bunny. Just need an excuse to go out on a drive now.

Post #166639 9th Jan 2013 5:43 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>