« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > North America > LR2 3.2 I6 HSE Alternator Problem
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
Garyc.LR2

United Arab Emirates 2008 LR2 i6 HSE Auto Narvik Black
LR2 3.2 I6 HSE Alternator Problem

I originally posted this in the UK forum (as I am originally from there) but it has since been suggested that the problem I have encountered may be more common to the Americans who drive petrol rather than diesel LR2's... here goes

Advance apologies for the long message.. I hope some people will make it the end

Approx 4 months back the alarm on my car started going off randomly. I mentioned this prior to a service @ Premier Motors, Land Rover Abu Dhabi & they suggested the battery may be failing which was logical as at times when starting on a morning it sounded weak. However they did not replace the battery stating it was fine and everything appeared to be for a couple of months until the battery started going off randomly again and then it would not start so I changed the battery – all good. Well at least for a couple of months then the alarm started going off again at times and then one morning after starting I heard a loud squeeling / screetching noise which lasted for around 1 minute. Later in the day the battery was flat and it would not start. The next day it started again without jump leads (proves the replacement battery was a good one!) but it only drove for a few mins before going into limp mode and driving max 5kmph with all warning lights on dash, sat nav etc flashing and the key being stuck in ignition slot. I had the car recovered and taken to main dealer for repair.

I visited the workshop yesterday and was shown the car cylinder head off (?) to gain access to alternator – seemed excessive to me? The alternator has a small spigot on the end of the cylinder inside of which is some gearing mechanism and a small part of this was broken hence the squeeling / screetching noise that I had heard. Which incidenatlly they said they had never seen before! They mentioned that Land Rover may be reluctant to cover this under the 250,000km warranty as the service was several thousand kms over due. I said we would await the decision before further comment.

I have just received a call from Land Rover who inform me that LR UK Warranty claim a new ENGINE is required or the same problem will simply happen over again and again! I laughed but was assured the conversation was not a joke and we must await Landrover decision to see IF they will cover the associated costs otherwise the burden lays with me. My limited mechanical knowledge indicates that this cannot be the case. IN this part of the world western expats are seen as easy targets for extracting large sums of money in return for very little.

I would appreciate your comments

Thanks

UPDATE NEW ENGINE INSTALLED UNDER WARANTY ... I am happy:)

Post #140615 22nd Apr 2012 7:43 pm
jutrem

Canada 2008 LR2 i6 HSE Auto Tonga Green

Another alternator issue Antifreeze / Coolant leak with pictures.

Post #157825 17th Oct 2012 7:36 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1