« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > General > Loss of power / judder when wet
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Print this entire topic · 
redmug

United Kingdom 2009 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Lago Grey
Loss of power / judder when wet

I am having problems with my 09 freelander and now at wits end with this one.

When we have heavy rain and I drive in it (and this happens quite a bit these days) the car suddenly loses power/judders when trying to accelerate.

Result - Land Rover assist out several times / Into dealer / Outcome, "the computer says no fault". Apparently, that means there is no fault which is contrary to the experience. And it only ever happens at weekends or evenings so no dealer service available.

The only benefit so far of my experience is I never have to wash the car since the dealer does this for me!

Has anyone else experience issues on power with the FL2? At one point we thought we'd cracked it. Water getting in through to the air filter (a pipe was loose) and onto some sensor that sorts out the fuel/air mix. However, this should have been fixed.

Ideas? Please! as the dealership hasn't a clue.

Post #51177 29th Nov 2009 2:02 pm
npinks

United Kingdom 

Loss of power could be down to the EGR valves been blocked or possible the turbo has a crack in one if the veins iirc both have been reported in the past

if you getting to a stage where your going to pay somebody like a independant try forum sponsor 10forCash Former Mod/Member, with the most post & Chicken George Arch nemesis

Post #51187 29th Nov 2009 3:59 pm
redmug

Forutnately still 27 months of warranty work left. Thankfully.

Land Rover Assist been out. All through the different items and couldn't recreate fault as it is now dry and this occurs only during heavy rain.

Checked air filter. This was wet, as was all the area around it and the sensor near to the air filter was damp/had consdensaion it it. I know from experience this has been dried out and cleaned up before and this solved this type of issue.

Thanks for the suggestion. Would those cause an issue only in wet and be perfectly fine in dry?

Post #51190 29th Nov 2009 4:31 pm
Big Dave

United Kingdom 2009 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Stornoway Grey

How old is the car? You are allowed to reject the car if it is not 'fit for the purpose' within, I think, 6 months. It sounds obvious enough that your car isn't fit for the purpose. You could try a diffferent dealer, and failing that, contact one of the motoring magazines. Auto Express seem to be clued up on niggling little faults for any car. Mine: 2012 Golf GTI Edition 35
Family's: 2009 Freelander 2 HSE TD4 Auto, Stornoway

Yorkshire - God's County

Post #51191 29th Nov 2009 4:42 pm
redmug

Car is 9 months old. Fault reported several months ago and I've been fair and been giving LR dealership the chance to put this right. Might have to go for a fight with them to get this one resolved.

Trouble is as an intermittant fault which can not be found (typicial) I need to have more proof that the fault existed and was in the vehicle at the time purchased. Obviously, find the fault and find the cure!

Post #51193 29th Nov 2009 5:43 pm
alex_pescaru

If your habit is to drive hard (quick accelerations), then in heavy rain - meaning slippery conditions - the loss of power is because of DSC, more exact the ASR (Anti Slip Regulation) part of it, which is kicking in.

The system try to reduce the engine torque first - to reduce abnormal wheel slip, and then, if the wheel slip is considerable, brakes the coresponding slipping wheel.
The driver feels this like sudden shudders in transmission, combined with losses of power (torque) and sometimes strange noises like metal creaking.

Don't worry, it's absolutelly normal.

To convince yourself about this, try to disable DSC for a short period of time, when in the same weather conditions. But, test it only when it's safe to do this!!
You will see that there will be no more losses of power, but a lot of wheels' spins.

Post #51195 29th Nov 2009 6:23 pm
freebo

Australia 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Zermatt Silver
Re: Loss of power / judder when wet

redmug wrote:
I am having problems with my 09 freelander and now at wits end with this one.

When we have heavy rain and I drive in it (and this happens quite a bit these days) the car suddenly loses power/judders when trying to accelerate.

Result - Land Rover assist out several times / Into dealer / Outcome, "the computer says no fault". Apparently, that means there is no fault which is contrary to the experience. And it only ever happens at weekends or evenings so no dealer service available.

The only benefit so far of my experience is I never have to wash the car since the dealer does this for me!

Has anyone else experience issues on power with the FL2? At one point we thought we'd cracked it. Water getting in through to the air filter (a pipe was loose) and onto some sensor that sorts out the fuel/air mix. However, this should have been fixed.

Ideas? Please! as the dealership hasn't a clue.

I had a similar experience a few weeks ago - had been driving through floods in cumbria (no deeper than 1 foot) then onto the M6 in heavy rain. I found that the engine would misfire when accelerating over 2,000 and the auto would change up/down. I had a 300 mile trip in front of me and was on a deadline so didn't stop just cruised around 2,000 RPM. A while after the rain stopped the problem went away and hasn't been back - the car is 2 years old and has never done that before but you'd think a Land Rover could handle a bit of rain.

I'd be interested to know what you find out.

Post #51516 4th Dec 2009 1:51 pm
npinks

United Kingdom 

i had a judder, when driving through shallow floods, heavy rain and lots of road side puddles in the old car

Found the airfilter damp and once dried out and the sensor just up from the filter blown dry with a hair dryer the car was fine Former Mod/Member, with the most post & Chicken George Arch nemesis

Post #51521 4th Dec 2009 2:37 pm
Udash

United Kingdom 2009 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Zermatt Silver

The sensor next to the air filter is the Mass Air Flow(MAF) sensor. This tells the engine how much air is taken in and this works by monitoring a how much current is required to keep a small piece of wire at a set temperature. If this gets wet I can imagine that it’s giving a reading which is totally inaccurate and confusing the engine management system resulting in a power loss. Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto
Zermatt Silver
Side Steps & Mud flaps

Post #51530 4th Dec 2009 3:58 pm
shilen

United Kingdom 2011 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Auto Bali Blue

You can reject the vehicle as being unfit for purpose under the Sales of Goods Act but I think you need to let LR have 3 attempts are rectification first - make sure you document any letters, emails, callouts, conversations etc as this will be invaluable should you need to pursue further.

Read last week that the rules will change soon when we sign up to some EU laws, meaning you wont be able to reject a vehicle - the dealer will have to fix or replace the vehicle like for like. presumably this will only apply to vehicles purchased after the law kicks in.

Post #51532 4th Dec 2009 4:03 pm
stormsky

I had the same problem with one of my old cars, VW golf diesel GT-TDi on an 02 plate, never got to the bottom of it in 3 years of ownership.

The LR2 on the other hand has been fine even in the recent floods.

I know, not much help am I..... 58 HSE, auto, lago grey, tints. Mine and my dogs Storm and Sky
TT Quattro, black. Ers.
AC Cobra rep in build. Ars.

Post #51566 4th Dec 2009 10:24 pm
jon_a5

United Kingdom 2014 Freelander 2 SD4 Dynamic Auto Santorini Black

Sorry to reserect an old thread but I have the same problem with my freelander, I assumed it was a clutch problem but wonder if something else could be the cause? Did anyone ever get to the bottom of this?

Thanks

Jon

Post #155655 25th Sep 2012 1:11 am
Nymagee_Boy

Australia 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Alaska White

I had juddering when wet, and living in the tropics, the monsoon caused a few issues.

If you have diagnostic equipment, see if there is an error code because my problem was caused by the crankshaft position sensor (CKP). The plug that fits the sensor is not sealed!!! As a consequence, the pins that connected to the sensor were corroded, and the pins on the crankshaft position sensor were corroded. Be aware, that the occasional "jud" will not trip the recording of an error - once needs total loss of connection.

I would advise you to check the plug and the pins of the crankcase position sensor, and, clean the pins. I used a very fine jeweller's file, and being trained in chemistry, applied a conductive grease on the pins. In Australia a product, Korrode Kure, is used to treat battery terminals and stop corrosion. This grease/slime is conductive, and I used very fine dental brushes (the ones kids use to clean between their braces) to clean the pins of the plug, and apply the slimy goop. After reassembly I taped up the sensor, plug and cable, and have not had a problem for 18 months, and am now entering the beginning of the monsoon.

This may be the issue - however if water is an associative cause I would definitely suspect a sensor. See the discussion below about the CKP and their are images in that topic.

See http://www.freel2.com/forum/topic8310.html MY08 Freelander 2 HSE TD4
130K kms
Darwin, Northern Territory
Australia

Post #155663 25th Sep 2012 7:45 am
bigalf1961

United Kingdom 2011 Freelander 2 TD4_e XS Manual Lago Grey

the only sensor that i can think of that may get some water ingress in it that is that low down is the crank posistion sensornear the front pully its a long shot but has the dealer looked for a crack in the housing letting water in Thumbs Up rainy-city
xs

Post #155665 25th Sep 2012 7:58 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
russben

United Kingdom 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Manual Santorini Black

Have a look at this thread:

http://www.freel2.com/forum/topic13347.html

Some things sound similar. Poke it, Poke it, make it do it again!!

Gone - 2008 Freel2 HSE Santorini Black
Hello - 2010 RRS TDV6 3.0 HSE Santorini Black

Post #155842 28th Sep 2012 11:42 am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>