Forum-Gallery-Shop-Sponsors

« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > Finance & Insurance > What is going on with insurance?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 3 of 3 <123
Print this entire topic · 
kimosabe

2009 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Zermatt Silver

Questions: Are we comparing like for like policies here? Are the policy details the same eg, Excess, Protected NCD, Fully Comp etc? Are the benefits from the insurers the same eg. courtesy car, new keys, windscreen cover etc etc?

I don't think it's a fair comparison to liken one drivers premium to anothers, because the data is not identical.

I am currently selling my car (Merc-Benz C220 Cdi) in order to buy a FL2 SD4 XS. 5 yrs NCD (not needing a car for a couple of years zeroed my full NCD, so I had to start again), value of FL2 about £20,000, i'm 42 and a half, held a clean license for about 25yrs, no claims or blames etc etc

eSure (via online comparison site) quoted me £271.08p (Vol XS £250, Comp XS £50).

I thought a 4x4 would attract a far higher insurance premium than i'm currently paying. The quote from eSure (my current insurer) for my Merc-Benz was £280.73p.

I reckon that if I clear out the alarmed garage, that should drop the premium even further but what use is this information to anyone else unless they're comparing like circumstances etc with like?

I fully support dealing positively with uninsured drivers but with premiums like the ones we're seeing on this thread, is it any wonder that some people avoid insuring their cars? My NCD was zeroed after 20 years of trouble free motoring and i think that to do this is unfair.

(no emoticons were harmed during the writing of this post) Whereabouts unknown stop going to follow stream until reach civilisation stop message ends

Post #152746 28th Aug 2012 10:38 pm
ad210358

England 

Clearing out the garage may put your insurance up, it has been known for the premium to go up for parking in a garage as the rick of an incident whilst entering or exiting the garage door.

Post #152759 29th Aug 2012 7:18 am
Krispykirstie

2011 Freelander 2 SD4 XS Auto Santorini Black

We too have an alarmed garage but have been quoted cheaper quotes in the past for leaving cars on the drive. Apparently cars left in the garage get claims for tools being accidently dropped on them etc. This has resulted in us never cleaning out the garage!

Of course this may just be insurance companies we have spoken to, our post code etc etc

Post #152760 29th Aug 2012 7:26 am
Krispykirstie

2011 Freelander 2 SD4 XS Auto Santorini Black

ad210358 posted as i was typing!

Post #152761 29th Aug 2012 7:28 am
kimosabe

2009 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Zermatt Silver

I wouldn't doubt for a moment that insurers would use any reasonable behaviour against a person who locked their car in a garage. There would be an alarmed and immobilised car, in an alarmed and locked garage and the only thing which could fall on the car, apart from the garage itself would be the alarm sensors.

If, in the bizarrest of circumstance, either or both of the two above outcomes were to happen, I would not waste £300 of excess claiming on my insurance, followed by another several months talking to insurance 'people' about the ins and outs of their prediction, while expecting some recompense for it. Instead I would start asking them for other 'predictable' outcomes, like lottery numbers, give up driving altogether, call myself 'Lone Wolf', wear tribal costume and start worshipping at the temple of 'eSure'. Whereabouts unknown stop going to follow stream until reach civilisation stop message ends

Post #152849 29th Aug 2012 9:01 pm
geoffk

United Kingdom 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Sumatra Black

Just renewed, I have been with Lr insurance for a few years but renewal price gone up to £420 all in with £150 excess..Just paid £220 with Liverpool Victoria with 11 years nc.(max is 9) for exact same cover...SHOP AROUND...

Post #171296 11th Feb 2013 4:45 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 3 of 3 <123