« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > Finance & Insurance > Cherished transfer insurance query
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
Kal-El

United Kingdom 2011 Freelander 2 SD4 XS Auto Stornoway Grey
Cherished transfer insurance query

I purchased my new car last Saturday and am due to collect it on Tuesday afternoon. I submitted all relevant documents so that my new car has my private plate on when I collect.

This morning, 2 V5C's arrived. 1 for the new car with my private plate and 1 for my old car now showing it's original plate again.

I assumed this would be troublesome because until Tuesday, my private plate is still on my existing car but the DVLA will now have the plate as referring to a different vehicle! The salesman said I do not need to go and have the original plates made up for my existing car because there is a sort of handover period when you have transferred a plate to a new car you are about to collect.

I assume on that basis that I just need to tell my insurance company that I will be collecting on Tuesday and when I collect, it will have my plate on it.

What a faff! Any thoughts or experience on this? 60 plate SD4 XS, Stornoway Grey, Arm rest pack

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ly--gT1RJdk

Post #151498 18th Aug 2012 5:59 pm
Big Dave

United Kingdom 2009 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Stornoway Grey

You're fine and the dealer's telling you the truth.

You don't need to do anything except on Tuesday morning, before getting your vehicle you need to inform your insurance company that from (for example) 10 am (collection time) you will be driving a new FL which has the same number plate, as from that time the old car will have reg no. X (the one that is now on top of the V5 for your old car).

You can check at www.askmid.com which number plate is insured on the police database. Note, it is slow to update, so the database may still show the wrong cars the day after you inform the insurers.

Thank yourself lucky...i've just got a Golf GTI and my dealer wouldn't do my plate unless it was on retention first! B*stards! Mine: 2012 Golf GTI Edition 35
Family's: 2009 Freelander 2 HSE TD4 Auto, Stornoway

Yorkshire - God's County

Post #151501 18th Aug 2012 6:29 pm
Kal-El

United Kingdom 2011 Freelander 2 SD4 XS Auto Stornoway Grey

Thanks for that. I can't wait for the collection! 60 plate SD4 XS, Stornoway Grey, Arm rest pack

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ly--gT1RJdk

Post #151503 18th Aug 2012 6:49 pm
mudslinger

Wales 2014 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Lux Auto Sumatra Black

Big Dave wrote:

You don't need to do anything except on Tuesday morning, before getting your vehicle you need to inform your insurance company that from (for example) 10 am (collection time) you will be driving a new FL which has the same number plate, as from that time the old car will have reg no. X (the one that is now on top of the V5 for your old car).

You can check at www.askmid.com which number plate is insured on the police database. Note, it is slow to update, so the database may still show the wrong cars the day after you inform the insurers.

Thank yourself lucky...i've just got a Golf GTI and my dealer wouldn't do my plate unless it was on retention first! B*stards!

They tried that bit about being on "retention" on the wife,s new car , till she told them fine .. stick your new Censored car I,am out of here ..!! She only got as far as one step from the salesman,s desk before it was suddenly "all fine, not a problem ."Madam Rolling with laughter Rolling with laughter Wales
Were the mud is thicker, and the ruts are deeper.
(And we have the water to wash it off, and more on the way..! )
Sd4 and chrome Ar*e piece, Auto box for best fun
09 Xs Gone
12 xs Gone
HSE with Leather seats and 4 years warrenty.. staying for now !

Post #151504 18th Aug 2012 6:52 pm
Dave

Scotland 2012 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Auto Indus Silver

Big Dave wrote:

Thank yourself lucky...i've just got a Golf GTI and my dealer wouldn't do my plate unless it was on retention first! B*stards!

Just tried that askmid.com, it's still showing my plate on my old D4 which I traded in 4 weeks ago Shocked ______________________
2011 Full Fat RR 4.4 TDV8
2012 FL2 SD4 Auto HSE
2013 Kawasaki Versys 650

Post #151517 18th Aug 2012 9:20 pm
Big Dave

United Kingdom 2009 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Stornoway Grey

They make mistakes Dave...apparently my plate was until recently on a Mitsubishi sack of s**t 'agricultural vehicle'!

I said I'd do the retention if they paid it, which I was about to walk out the door when he originally said no and then it all changed! Mine: 2012 Golf GTI Edition 35
Family's: 2009 Freelander 2 HSE TD4 Auto, Stornoway

Yorkshire - God's County

Post #151562 19th Aug 2012 11:09 am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1