« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > Technical > How does the hill start gizmo work
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
jules1967

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 SE Manual Tambora Flame
How does the hill start gizmo work

OK - I admit it, I should rt Censored m.
In the mean time can someone please tell me Question
Allegedly the FL2 has some sort of hill start device that slowly releases the brake on steep hills to aid take-off.
How is this activated? 07 Freelander 2 TD4SE Tambora Flame, side steps, privacy glass, mud flaps, boot liner and a tow bar. Ok it's the Wifes but she lets me drive it occasionally - if I've been good!

Post #14169 13th Feb 2008 2:51 pm
npinks

United Kingdom 

That my son is the million pound question...................... Rolling with laughter

We hear on the grape line you have to have the HDC on and be on a very very steep hill and then the GRC will work.

I have only ever had it work on a LRE day and the cars nose was pointing straight towards the sky Former Mod/Member, with the most post & Chicken George Arch nemesis

Post #14170 13th Feb 2008 2:55 pm
Nick Jan

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 SE Auto Stornoway Grey
yeah

Yes, I also sampled the very impressive Gradient Release Control while climbing out of a quarry on LRE at Ashford, Kent. As the hill has to be 20%+ I haven't since had occasion to use it on my own FL2 yet.

I'm sure it will be handy if I decide to stop half way out of a quarry in the future!
Wink Life is not a dress rehearsal!

Post #14184 13th Feb 2008 11:48 pm
yamaha-fan

Germany 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Stornoway Grey

Our Freely 2 have a gradient measuring device build-in. You hear it slightly clicking from behind the gear-stick when this measuring device is in operation.
As soon as a certain gradient is exceeded this device will activate the ABS and does what it is intended to do.
Works very well.
The Automatic Freeley's have an additional "anti-rolling" control via the torque control of the gearbox.

YF

Post #14188 14th Feb 2008 8:03 am
jules1967

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 SE Manual Tambora Flame

Thanks guys, so it kicks in automatically?
I was hoping it was something like the MB sbc hold where you just pulse the brake pedal and the brakes hold until there's enough forward torque to move the car forward. At that point it releases automatically. The LR one may be more complex though.
Sounds like I will have to get us booked on a LRE day. Very Happy
Any recommeendations - I was thinking the half day to get an overall feel for the cars capabilities and how to use them as it's quite expensive or is the full day a better idea? 07 Freelander 2 TD4SE Tambora Flame, side steps, privacy glass, mud flaps, boot liner and a tow bar. Ok it's the Wifes but she lets me drive it occasionally - if I've been good!

Post #14194 14th Feb 2008 10:39 am
Nick Jan

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 SE Auto Stornoway Grey
LRE

Jules,

I've been on 2 LRE half days, one in a Disco3 and more recently in an FL2, and didn't pay for either of them. Suggest you go and chat up a friendly LR sales guy, showing your serious interest in potentially buying one etc. Good Luck!
 Life is not a dress rehearsal!

Post #14195 14th Feb 2008 10:50 am
Simmo

United Kingdom 

jules1967 wrote:
Thanks guys, so it kicks in automatically?
I was hoping it was something like the MB sbc hold where you just pulse the brake pedal and the brakes hold until there's enough forward torque to move the car forward. At that point it releases automatically. The LR one may be more complex though.
Sounds like I will have to get us booked on a LRE day. Very Happy
Any recommeendations - I was thinking the half day to get an overall feel for the cars capabilities and how to use them as it's quite expensive or is the full day a better idea?

Hi Jules

Try going here -:
http://www.landrover.co.uk/microsites/UKDi...nnerid=all

Thumbs Up -----------------------------------------
TD4 SE Manual, Sold.
I currently own a BMW 530D.WLTB another FL2.

Post #14201 14th Feb 2008 12:33 pm
npinks

United Kingdom 

The half day, will start off with the instructor taking you on the road, shows how the car handles, when DSC will kick in etc. (which is fun with a serious hang over)

Then he takes you to the off road park, show you how the car handles off road on a course which takes it the the limit, two wheels off the floor, extreme lean overs or inclines/decents. He drives in this area.

Then you go out on the hills and so on and he'll let you do the driving, showing the various devices, HDC, GRC & the TR contol settings.

It is a great Free day!!!!

If you opt for the full day you get to drive in the off road park, and learn more about the off road side and inspecting what your going to drive over first.

I did the half day, and it was the best day in the FL2 I have had, I now want to go for another but go for the full day instead. Former Mod/Member, with the most post & Chicken George Arch nemesis

Post #14203 14th Feb 2008 12:53 pm
Lookers Park Royal

I posted this in another thread a while back which may help...............

The uphill feature is even more important on manual vehicles!

Gradient Release Control is new for Freelander 2 and unique to Land Rover. If Hill Descent Control is engaged and the car is being held by the footbrake, then Gradient Release Control detects whether the car is being held on a steep slope. If it is, then Gradient Release Control commands a progressive release of brake line pressure when the drivers foot is removed from the brake pedal.

This action provides a very composed, reassured acceleration up to the Hill Descent Control speed, preventing the unnerving lurch that can disturb the vehicle and jeopardise control on the steepest inclines.

The speed at which the brake line pressure is allowed to decay depends on the steepness of the slope and the Terrain Response setting (if fitted), but can be as long as two seconds in some situations. Gradient Release Control also works when performing an uphill start from the footbrake on steep off-road inclines. Brake pressure is maintained momentarily (3 seconds maximum) to provide a margin for the driver to gain control of the car on clutch and throttle.

I hope this helps?

James

Post #14288 16th Feb 2008 12:19 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Nazca Sand Eddie

United Kingdom 

James

Thank you very much for a proper detailed description.

If only our hand book had that type of explanation - would be great, but then we would not need the forum!

I believe it works in forward and reverse gears.

Post #14290 16th Feb 2008 1:32 pm
Gambba

United Arab Emirates 2008 LR2 i6 HSE Auto Stornoway Grey

There should be a liitle pop up James holigram in every book, just to cover all of the stuff they don't mention properly.

How LR can produce bible thickness books for the nav system and such a thorough manual on PTI and then leave out whole chunks of needed info in the main manual I don't know.

Post #14577 23rd Feb 2008 7:18 am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1