« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > General > Towing with Fl2 !
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
Transman

Towing with Fl2 !

Towing with Fl2

I,m seriously considering downsizing from D3 to Fl2. Could probably afford HSE TD4.

At present I tow a single axle caravan with a gross max weight of 1700kgs

85% of kerbweight rule I understand, but the 2000kg capacity of the Fl2 would lead me to believe that the vehicle should have no problem.

Has anyone any experience of towing with the Fl2, or any advice, or even comments.

All comments would be welcome

Post #1374 21st Jan 2007 4:29 pm
avtur

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Stornoway Grey

I will be towing a 1450kg van with my TD4 GS, obviously don't expect to have any problems at all. The 85% 'rule' is a guideline, set with the inexperienced and safety in mind. If you go on any of the caravan forums its always being talked about. There are so many other variables to consider when towing (caravan or otherwise) the 85% guide is only part of the picture. Balance, experience, weight distribution, nose weight, stabilizer etc, etc all have their part to play, so I wouldn't get too hung up on the 85% guide.

I've had my GS since Thursday and put 300 miles on it now. (just arrived back from playing in the snow by the Cat & Fiddle near Buxton !!!) I've found that first gear is definitely on the low side so moving off & handling a heavy van trailer/caravan shouldn't be a problem.

Obviously I haven't towed with the FL2 (waiting for towbars to become available on the after sales market - and save a couple of hundred pounds on the LR list price) but my opinion would be that the FL2 will be fine.

Post #1375 21st Jan 2007 6:06 pm
pelyma

England 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Zermatt Silver

I think you are asking a lot of the car to tow regularly at its maximum, the D3 would be a better bet. I also hate to say you will be waiting a long time for after market towbars if the D3 is anything to go buy, you still can't get them now. Best bet is to look on Ebay as that is where most the cheap D3 ones appear. D4 HSE Lux for me
FL2 HSE Zermatt & Alpacca for the wife now gone
Skoda Yeti L&K for the wife.

Post #1378 21st Jan 2007 7:23 pm
Transman

Thanks for that, both.

Pelyma, why do you think there would be a problem with a van at 1700kg.

This is below the vehicle`s max towing weight, and the Fl2 will not be short of power.

I used to tow with a 200TDi, and it had 110 bhp and wasnt a problem with a heavy van.

Therefore power not an issue, is your concern the chassis ?

Post #1379 21st Jan 2007 7:48 pm
Scottie

Scotland 

we have towed our Geist Van with the FL2 bo problems and TBH it is more stable at higher speeds than what our D3 was. Shocked Shocked Fiona

Post #1381 21st Jan 2007 10:22 pm
Transman

Hi Scottie,

Thanks for the reply !

What weight is your Geist ?

Did you travel mostly in 6th, or did you find you needed 5th more than you would in the D3.

Did you regret going for the Fl2 ?

Post #1382 21st Jan 2007 10:49 pm
avtur

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Stornoway Grey

Scottie wrote:
we have towed our Geist Van with the FL2 bo problems and TBH it is more stable at higher speeds than what our D3 was. Shocked Shocked

Hells bells Scottie you were quick of the mark to get towing. Which towbar option do you have?

Post #1384 21st Jan 2007 10:54 pm
Scottie

Scotland 

avtur wrote:
Scottie wrote:
we have towed our Geist Van with the FL2 bo problems and TBH it is more stable at higher speeds than what our D3 was. Shocked Shocked

Hells bells Scottie you were quick of the mark to get towing. Which towbar option do you have?

got the LR detachable one. Only Towed from Stirling to Perth and back again as MR wanted to try out the FL2 on the towing front. Fiona

Post #1386 21st Jan 2007 11:50 pm
Scottie

Scotland 

Transman wrote:
Hi Scottie,

Thanks for the reply !

What weight is your Geist ?

Did you travel mostly in 6th, or did you find you needed 5th more than you would in the D3.

Did you regret going for the Fl2 ?

1480kg unladen.

Yes we used sixth gear but on the flat then into 5th for the hills and 4th for the braes going up in to perth was all seemless. though. Good torque in 4th

do we regret going for the FL2 from the D3 actually we were talking about this tonight when we were out driving enroute to dinner and we both agree NO WAY love the FL2 over the D3 not saying there is anything wrong with the D3 it's just the FL2 suits us better . Wink and actually drives loads better than the D3. Fiona

Post #1387 21st Jan 2007 11:56 pm
pelyma

I'm not saying you are wrong, but doing anything near the maximum concerns me. If you get into problems, having best part of 3t up front has got to be better. Fiona I'd be rather worried if it didn't drive better than a D3, you can't beat physics! We will be having the choice of both and tow a Fleetwood Heritage TA - I know which car will be towing it! D4 HSE Lux for me

Post #1393 22nd Jan 2007 11:46 am
Scottie

Scotland 

pelyma wrote:
I'm not saying you are wrong, but doing anything near the maximum concerns me. If you get into problems, having best part of 3t up front has got to be better. Fiona I'd be rather worried if it didn't drive better than a D3, you can't beat physics! We will be having the choice of both and tow a Fleetwood Heritage TA - I know which car will be towing it!

ah yeh we had the Fleetwood Heritage 640 good van but we opted for the L shape front big mistake didn't like it so got rid of the van.

anyway

most cars will pull a van even a wee fiat panda 4x4 would it is the stopping you got to worry about.

I will tell you this and I am being 100% honest this is how we would rate the tow vehicle we had owned so far the big boys.

in 1st place V10 Touareg
in 2nd FFRR
in 3nd BMW X5
in 4rd D3

I am not just talking sheer power I am talking overall tow the Touareg was best.

The D3 as I said around the 70mph towing speed (not that we ever towed at that speed or above) Wink our van didn't sit well on the back of the D3 now it sat fine of the back of the others.

So you see it's not just size that matters when towing it is the geometry of the towing vehicle and the D3 ain't got it. Fiona

Post #1395 22nd Jan 2007 12:45 pm
pelyma

I believe the Touareg would be an awesome tug. I have never had an issue with the D3 in any condition towing, neither has my father, but if the van starts to go then you stand more of a chance correcting it with a heavy car than a powerful one IMO and it is just that. Now the TDV8 FFRR that must be a beast Off Topic D4 HSE Lux for me

Post #1402 22nd Jan 2007 4:00 pm
Scottie

Scotland 

pelyma wrote:
I believe the Touareg would be an awesome tug. I have never had an issue with the D3 in any condition towing, neither has my father, but if the van starts to go then you stand more of a chance correcting it with a heavy car than a powerful one IMO and it is just that. Now the TDV8 FFRR that must be a beast Off Topic

well on that basis of heavy car then that should mean the Defender would tow better than your D3 but we know it won't Wink Arrow
Wink Fiona

Post #1403 22nd Jan 2007 5:43 pm
Transman

Thanks everyone for your replies, particularly Scottie.

Fiona, at present we have the fixed multiheight towbar on the D3. Her indoors shot off to the local dealer ( who has given us top service for years) and came back with the Accessories brochure. I note there is no adjustable towbar (with boltholes), I assume you got the "Quick release " towbar. Is it adjustable at all ?

I also noted the bike carrier which looks just like the one we have for the D3.Looks like it fits the "Fixed height towbar" with the bolt on ball.

As a sad old git, I get easy confused, and probably all questions will be answered come Wed when we have an Fl2 for a couple of hours.

Incidentally, does anyone know the lead- in time ? The Dealer reckons May delivery. Any comments ?

Thanks in eager anticipation !!!!!!!

Bill

Post #1404 22nd Jan 2007 7:18 pm
pelyma

Fiona the Defender is not as heavy as the D3, remember monocoque sat on a chassis and no Ali makes a heavy car, even heavier than a RR Phantom D4 HSE Lux for me

Post #1412 22nd Jan 2007 8:17 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1