Forum-Gallery-Shop-Sponsors

« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > Maintenance & Modifications > SE Speakers - Distortion & Replacement Ideas
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
djhampson

Australia 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 SE Auto Rimini Red
SE Speakers - Distortion & Replacement Ideas

Hi All,

I have an TD4 SE and the Ipod connectivity kit which i use almost exclusively for music .

I notice a fair bit of distortion on the CD and iPod coming from the tweeters mounted in the front doors. The distortion is only in the treble range usually the high hats in the drums etc.

Does anyone else get this distortion?

Also the main speakers don't really blow me away so I'm thinking about replacing them.

What speakers are fitted as standard (size, wattage etc)?

Anyone removed the door trims before? Is this easy and do you have any tips \ instructions? I did have a LRGTR subscription but I let it expire and I didn't get the work instructions on this topic.

Thanks for all input.

PS I have a 4 channel amp that I will probably install first before the speaker upgrade. Any ideas if this will cure the distortion??

Post #12990 13th Jan 2008 9:00 am
atelier

Australia 2008 Freelander 2 i6 HSE Auto Stornoway Grey

hi mate, do you have LR ipod connectivity module installed?
how much u paid for the module and installation?
i was willing to install one on my FL2. I've contact my local Land Rover dealer down in Melbourne, they quoted me the price was $5xx + installation.

Does it support new ipod touth or nano? Land Rover Freelander 2 HSE i6

Post #12992 13th Jan 2008 9:37 am
djhampson

I did have the kit installed - I've sent you a PM with the details but it cost a lot less than what you have been quoted.

It supports the 3rd Gen Ipod perfectly and it also works with my iphone except for the iphone not fitting in the cradle correctly and a message on the iphone warning that the device is not meant to work with the iphone and you may experience noise when making or receiving calls.

This doesn't seem to happen to me.

Post #12994 13th Jan 2008 10:40 am
PT

Netherlands 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Zermatt Silver

I have asked the dealer and a local car audio shop if there are alternative speakers available.
The answers I have received are negative.
The speakers do have a special connection (can-bus) and seem to have other technical specifications than standard aftermarket speakers.

Post #13066 15th Jan 2008 11:41 am
djhampson

PT wrote:
I have asked the dealer and a local car audio shop if there are alternative speakers available.
The speakers do have a special connection (can-bus) and seem to have other technical specifications than standard aftermarket speakers.

Thanks for the info however I'm not sure that it applies to my car as I have already installed a high-low convector (to convert the speaker outputs from the head deck to a low level output to connect to the amplifier via RCA cable for my non-factory subwoofer)

I've just looked on LR GTR and there appears to only be 2 wires in the connector going to the speakers. I'd also doubt that they'd use CAN-Bus for a speaker because the speaker would require an amplifier (to convert the data signal from the can-bus to sound).

I know there are fibre networks used to link the amplifiers together in the higer spec models.

Post #13106 16th Jan 2008 6:24 am
nosliwedaw

Australia 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 SE Auto Stornoway Grey

Djh,

I have found my speakers to be a little ordinary also, especially at low volume, then the distortion at high volume.

I have had great success with jbl in my past couple of cars mainly due to their ability to handle low power inputs. Did you manage to find out what size they are?

And what's all this about a subwoofer? I have mine ready to go but have yet to find a good spot for it! Where did you end up putting yours? What size etc do you have?

This will all tie in with my current project, touchscreen carputer. Still working on the interface at the moment. Pics to come soon.

Post #13255 19th Jan 2008 12:51 am
m1964

United States 

djhampson wrote:
PT wrote:

Thanks for the info however I'm not sure that it applies to my car as I have already installed a high-low convector (to convert the speaker outputs from the head deck to a low level output to connect to the amplifier via RCA cable for my non-factory subwoofer)

I've just looked on LR GTR and there appears to only be 2 wires in the connector going to the speakers. I'd also doubt that they'd use CAN-Bus for a speaker because the speaker would require an amplifier (to convert the data signal from the can-bus to sound).

I know there are fibre networks used to link the amplifiers together in the higer spec models.

All speakers are made by Phillips. Tweeters are 1", woofers are 6.5", sub is 6.5"To install any decent aftermarket speakers you also will have to install aftermarket amp(s)-there separate channels for front tweeters and front woofers, but same channel for rear tweeter and woofer.
You will need 4 channels for front speakers, and 2 more for the rear.

I am in the process of finishing the install right now, but had some engine noise on the tweeter channels-probably bad ground or short somewher, so now I listen w/o front tweeters.

PS

the OEM tweeters cut a lot of highs-after installing aftermarket tweeters highs really"opened up", but OEM amp does not have enough power to drive aftermarket tweeters/speakers, so you get distortion/clipping at higher volumes.

Post #13557 27th Jan 2008 4:34 am
djhampson

Thanks for the info m1964.

I installed an amp and that alone has made a massive difference. The mids are much stronger and the woofers don't appear to be distorting anymore.

The tweeters are still distorting but I can live with ti for a bit longer.

Now for the big question....

How do you remove the door trims? 2007 TD4 SE

Post #13559 27th Jan 2008 8:40 am
m1964

United States 

djhampson wrote:
Thanks for the info m1964.

I installed an amp and that alone has made a massive difference. The mids are much stronger and the woofers don't appear to be distorting anymore.

The tweeters are still distorting but I can live with ti for a bit longer.

Now for the big question....

How do you remove the door trims?

What amp did you use?

How/where did you fit/installed it?

The door trim has a few screws in it, some are visible, some are hidden-one behind the handle which opens the lock (under a small round cup which you just pry off), then also you need to remove gray plastic handle (used to closed the door from inside)-also pry it out w/ a guitar pick or something made of plastic (preferably not metal).

Good luck

Post #13743 1st Feb 2008 5:19 am
djhampson

I installed a 4ch Kicker Amp under the passenger seat. I have not secured it yet but I'm probably not going to bother too much as its doesn't move around.

The High-Low converters fitted underneath the head-deck so they are hidden away quite nicely.

Thanks for the extra info about the doors. I missed the screw near the release handle. 2007 TD4 SE

Post #13754 1st Feb 2008 1:01 pm
wheatonshunter

Netherlands 2009 Freelander 2 TD4 S Auto Tonga Green

Dear djhampson,

Since I am looking for some good gear I wonder if it would be possible for you to list a "my gear"list i.e. what type of Kicker amp and High-Low converters.
It would help me a lot!

Thanks.

Post #13778 1st Feb 2008 10:34 pm
djhampson

Hi Wheatonshunter,

I can't remember the exact model number of the Kicker amp because it was in my old car and too make it fit I had to remove the outer-shell that the amp was in. This had the model number on it and I've since lost it.

However from memory its a 4 channel 75W RMS amplifier. The High-Low Converter are no-name brand from the local car audio place. Make sure you use appropriate wiring for the 12v cable and get a good connection to the chasis of the car for your ground wire. 2007 TD4 SE

Post #13783 2nd Feb 2008 12:32 am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1