« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > General > Reliability and running cost
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
Mounty

Reliability and running cost

Hello everyone

My brother in law may consider the Free 2. He runs 40'000 km a year (about 30'000 miles ) and has his doubts about reliability and running cost. Can you give your opinon on:

1. reliability

2. running cost

Thanks for your help and honest opinion

Mounty Daniel

Post #13530 26th Jan 2008 1:11 pm
Nick Jan

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 SE Auto Stornoway Grey
recommended

You may get a mixed picture when you read this forum, as people do tend to air their problems and questions here. However, sticking my neck out, my summary reading is that most FL2 owners here of vehicles bought in last 6 months are very pleased with them, and do find them reliable. I started a discussion topic and poll here a while back to ask if FL2 owners were able to revisit their buying decision what would they do. Of the 29 respondents, 26 said they'd definately buy an FL2, and 3 said they'd probably buy an FL2, and possibly more relevant to you, no-one selected any of the three alternative negative responses. That's not a scientific result, but it is surely indicative of a lot of happy punters!

My personal experience and opinion is that my FL2 is probably the best vehicle I've ever owned, from all perspectives. I always enjoy driving it, in any conditions. It has also been 100% reliable so far (6.5k miles in 6 months)!

On running costs, I can only say that my TD4 FL2 is a whole lot cheaper to run than my Disco TDI! As an automatic it does an average of around 32mpg, with an average of 34-35 mpg easily obtainable on longer trips (the manual FL2s seem to get around 37 average mpg, as claimed by LR). The service interval of 15k miles is a whole lot better than the 6k on my Disco.

Anyway, good luck with your relative's buying decision.
 Life is not a dress rehearsal!

Post #13535 26th Jan 2008 2:30 pm
RW

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Zermatt Silver
Re: recommended

Nick Jan wrote:
.........However, sticking my neck out, my summary reading is that most FL2 owners here of vehicles bought in last 6 months are very pleased with them, and do find them reliable. ........My personal experience and opinion is that my FL2 is probably the best vehicle I've ever owned, from all perspectives. I always enjoy driving it, in any conditions. ..........Anyway, good luck with your relative's buying decision.

Completely agree with all of Nick Jan's post. I've done 3k enjoyable miles in 3 months.

Post #13537 26th Jan 2008 3:32 pm
wildrover

Scotland 2012 Freelander 2 SD4 Dynamic Auto Indus Silver

And i agree also.
7,000+ very happy miles since March 07. Rear axle sensor replaced twice, second time with upgraded sensor due to known fault with original design on early models. now fixed. And if he ever gets any problems, there are plenty of extremely knowledgable owners on here to help.
also, i have a very good helpful and friendly local dealer which helps.
It's a wonderful vehicle. Tell him to take a test drive and that will make his mind up.
We have had ours all round Mull, Skye and the Lake District and it is a dream. So comfortable to drive, holds all our gear and more.
6th gear is really only for motorway driving (or 1st, 2nd and 3rd if you are on Mull).

Summary? BUY, BUY, BUY.

19,000 in the UK already did... Out with the old (2007 SE)
In with the new (2012 Dynamic with everything). Now also gone.

Post #13540 26th Jan 2008 4:01 pm
npinks

United Kingdom 

Nick Jan you thief thats my avtar Shocked

I know it is as the NP11 NKS registration give it away (I'll have to wait a few years before i can purchace that one though)

The cheek of it Wink Rolling with laughter Former Mod/Member, with the most post & Chicken George Arch nemesis

Post #13541 26th Jan 2008 4:12 pm
The Villager

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 SE Manual Stornoway Grey

Best car I have owned, I had three FL1 before but this car is in a class of its own Very Happy David

Post #13542 26th Jan 2008 4:41 pm
Nick Jan

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 SE Auto Stornoway Grey
whoops

Guilty as charged Npinks! Embarassed

The thing is, I tried to produce my own avatur from one of my photos, using various bits of editing s/w and totally failed to create an image that was low enough definition and small enough to get accepted as an avatur. So ....... I suddenly had the brillaint idea of "borrowing" yours!

Well spotted ... though I think you'll find that I simply joined several other "avatur theives"! Razz

P.S. I just tried to edit it again from your avatur and can't upload it at all now .. poetic justice perhaps?

Later edit: Such was my guilt I have now produce my own avatur as kindly instructed by Npinks; felt a bit like I was doing community service!
Razz Life is not a dress rehearsal!

Last edited by Nick Jan on 27th Jan 2008 11:30 am. Edited 1 time in total

Post #13543 26th Jan 2008 4:56 pm
npinks

United Kingdom 

I have previously tried to edit using photo editors and failed

I searched the web and found a freeware program called "Profile Picture Genius"

Edit the picture full size and then use Profile Picture Genius to resize the picture to the right size for the forum

PS I got the picture from the DVLA registrations site, but you have to select Freelander 1 as they have the pictures mixed up.

Admin note: this post has had its images recovered from a money grabbing photo hosting site and reinstated Mr. Green  Former Mod/Member, with the most post & Chicken George Arch nemesis

Post #13545 26th Jan 2008 5:51 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1