Forum-Gallery-Shop-Sponsors

« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > Off Roading & Green Laning > How deep can a LR2 go with a snorkel?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 3 of 6 <123456>
Print this entire topic · 
sro

United States 2008 LR2 i6 SE Auto Zermatt Silver

Well I can tell you this, the air intake can suck up a non-trivial amount of mud & water.

I went off-roading through a relatively deep mud-pit last weekend at Hollister Hills. Changed my air filter today and the 'dirty' side of the intake compartment was caked with mud. The air filter itself was also caked with mud. Shocked

Based on the mud pattern in the intake compartment I'd estimate that about 4 cups of mud & water were sucked in through the side vent over the course of about 15 seconds. This happened because I lost traction and spun the wheels a decent amount, splashing mud on the side of the rover with the intake. Whistle

The other side of the intake was clean as a whistle. Installed a hitch, stock roof rack, mantec skid plates, General Grabbers AT2 255/60/R18, and a rear access ladder. Also made a hitch-mount for the winch. Looking to install a front hitch, rooft-top basket, and lift kit.

Tracking modifications and off-road experiences here: http://sam.odio.com/lr2/

Last edited by sro on 2nd Nov 2011 8:57 pm. Edited 1 time in total

Post #118943 2nd Nov 2011 8:35 pm
npinks

United Kingdom 

I can't see the filter sucking in wet mud like that, traveling two feet down it, and up into the filter are you sure you have dropped it or waded too deep Shocked Former Mod/Member, with the most post & Chicken George Arch nemesis

Post #118947 2nd Nov 2011 8:52 pm
sro

I kid you not. This was the mud pit: &feature=related I made about as much progress as that pickup (in stock tires) before getting stuck. Mud was about 6 inches less deep though.

Wink

Entire air compartment was caked with mud and I could see mud in the intake hose. Took me 30 minutes to clear it out so that the air compartment would start draining water through the relief value again. I have no idea how muddy the intake hose is (couldn't get to the whole thing without taking off the side panel).

No wonder my fuel economy went down after the pit! Installed a hitch, stock roof rack, mantec skid plates, General Grabbers AT2 255/60/R18, and a rear access ladder. Also made a hitch-mount for the winch. Looking to install a front hitch, rooft-top basket, and lift kit.

Last edited by sro on 2nd Nov 2011 10:16 pm. Edited 1 time in total

Post #118950 2nd Nov 2011 9:05 pm
npinks

United Kingdom 

Shocked I guess you didn't get very far,

My first fl2 didn't have the air pipe to the side vent, it was terminated behind the light were it would join, I know this as I had to dry out my conpartment once and had it all out Former Mod/Member, with the most post & Chicken George Arch nemesis

Post #118955 2nd Nov 2011 10:04 pm
Pegleg

Wales 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Santorini Black

Might as well face it. FL2 is not a true off road mud-plugger.
Neither was it designed to be.
It's a SUV, albeit one of the best.
Look underneath the car and it's no more than a 4 wheel drive car with some Boron along the sills to stiffen the Ford Smax floorpan.
And some useful control of the 4x4 Haldex system.
Forgive me if i speak out of turn to those who use their FL2 off-road. Yes, it's capable, suits me Sir, but no mud-plugger. Another member of the failed FL2 clutch/DMF club, twice.

Post #118967 3rd Nov 2011 1:36 am
Andy131

United Kingdom 

As one who does use his FL2 off-road let me be one of the first to say I for one am not offended in any way that you don't believe the FL2 is a true mug plugger - did you see the video, a Defender in stock trim wouldn't make it Very Happy

I believe it is a very capable off-roader, green lanes in the UK or unsurfaced roads in the rest of the world, deserts etc. should all be passable with care, let alone snow covered tarmac (soon Mr. Green ).
Some of the more extreme routes at pay and play sites would stop any stock LR product, OK the FL2 will be stopped earlier, that I believe is a fair observation - not a critisism.

But ....... no harm in trying, if you don't fail you will never know your limits Wink

For deep mud you will need good ground clearance, mud tyres, and preferably good articulation, none of which are standard on a FL2 - stay out of deep mud, or buy a good tow strap, just remember to smile for the camera. Tangiers Orange - gone, missing her
Replaced by Ewok what a mistake - now a happy Disco Sport owner

Post #118972 3rd Nov 2011 8:39 am
MihaiB

Romania 2011 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Auto Zermatt Silver

sro wrote:
I kid you not. This was the mud pit: &feature=related I made about as much progress as that pickup (in stock tires) before getting stuck. Mud was about 6 inches less deep though.

That is some serious mud! Did you get your run on video?

Post #118997 3rd Nov 2011 1:26 pm
sro

I didn't, though I'll probably be trying it again this weekend in my general grabbers. If I do i'll post a video Razz Installed a hitch, stock roof rack, mantec skid plates, General Grabbers AT2 255/60/R18, and a rear access ladder. Also made a hitch-mount for the winch. Looking to install a front hitch, rooft-top basket, and lift kit.

Post #119702 9th Nov 2011 6:37 am
Wintermute

Turkey 2011 Freelander 2 TD4 XS Auto Stornoway Grey

sro, I had the same thing with mud once. When it sucks a bit more, the engine (on diesel) might think something is wrong and reduce the engine performance (fault code). Then it becomes impossible to dig your way out of the mud. Whistle

Changing filter does not help by itself, you than need to reset the engine code by connecting the car to a computer. 2010 Freelander 2 Select TD4 auto....gone
2011 Freelander 2 TD4 auto ...current

Post #127522 15th Jan 2012 10:03 pm
sro

Well, I can tell you that the FL2 can go through a lot more than 500mm of water. I recently went through what I believe to be about 700mm and had no problems. Here's a photo of the defender in our group going through the same pond:

Unfortunately I didn't get a photo of my FL2 going through : / Installed a hitch, stock roof rack, mantec skid plates, General Grabbers AT2 255/60/R18, and a rear access ladder. Also made a hitch-mount for the winch. Looking to install a front hitch, rooft-top basket, and lift kit.

Post #127685 17th Jan 2012 2:10 am
D99

England 

nice one!

did any water get into the cab?

Post #127721 17th Jan 2012 1:40 pm
sro

nope. Installed a hitch, stock roof rack, mantec skid plates, General Grabbers AT2 255/60/R18, and a rear access ladder. Also made a hitch-mount for the winch. Looking to install a front hitch, rooft-top basket, and lift kit.

Post #130061 31st Jan 2012 7:16 am
Arctic Fire

Canada 2008 LR2 i6 HSE Auto Zermatt Silver

As quoted by my LR Mecahnic, who looks and talks like Jason Statham, "See these door seals? There's no bloody aftermarket snorkel for an LR2. It'd be useless as tittys on a bull. Go any deeper than the side intakes, and you'll be floating. That's why they are where they are. It's designed that way."

Of course we can't prove it, but as one of the trainers at Land Rover Experience in Canada for the last 8 years, I believe him.

also look at these idiots. http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=endsc...WUBCA__NWw

I apologize if it's a member here Wink

Post #131181 9th Feb 2012 11:08 am
Dave

Scotland 2012 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Auto Indus Silver

Buy a Disco 4, you'll then have a wading depth of 700mm without modification Thumbs Up ______________________
2011 Full Fat RR 4.4 TDV8
2012 FL2 SD4 Auto HSE
2013 Kawasaki Versys 650

Post #131220 9th Feb 2012 6:37 pm
Andy131

United Kingdom 

Love the video

Whats wrong with taking the FL2 wading? put a couple of lads in the back - that'll stop it from floating. Very Happy
Beats getting your feet wet in a Defender.

Your missing the point wth the comments about the Disco - if we wanted one surely we would have bought a second hand one, FL2 aint cheap certainly get a good D3 for the money. Tangiers Orange - gone, missing her
Replaced by Ewok what a mistake - now a happy Disco Sport owner

Post #131263 9th Feb 2012 11:14 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 3 of 6 <123456>