Forum-Gallery-Shop-Sponsors

« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > Off Roading & Green Laning > The real value of the terrain response technology?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Print this entire topic · 
jaksbak@freel2

Australia 2011 Freelander 2 SD4 SE Auto Stornoway Grey
The real value of the terrain response technology?

Recently, I was most impressed with an article in a serious 4WD magazine here downunder, where they very meticulously tested all of the components that contribute to "Go anywhere" features on an offroad vehicle. These features are often sold aftermarket and are worth hundreds of million of dollars here in Australia alone - heaps more worldwide. The problem was, the only thing NOT tested was the high-tech terrain response technology now found on most Land Rovers, including our beloved FL2, the Jeep Grand Cherokee, Range Rovers, the new Landcruisers and a few other withs offroad credentials. They tested the value of Suspension, Tyres, Front Diff Locks, Rear Diff Locks and Combined Diff Locks in all manner of offroad scenarios. Ride height was an assumed value. The testing was very scientific with test/control aspects in almost every possible variation on a theme or ground condition. They tested step inclines, deep mud, deep sand, gravel roads, sealed roads and boulder climbing (no snow at the time). The net result was that whilst everything contributed to improved off-road ability, front & rear diff lockers were the most significant. It never boiled down to horsepower but everything did point toward keeping the maximum amount of rubber on the surface for the maximum amount of time without spinning wheels (inless in some mud/sand situations). It dawned on me that this is exactly what the FL2's Terrain Response system does. On many an occasion, I have been surprised with the FL2 - times when I thought "Hello. She's run out of steam!" only to be pleasantly surprised by a slow but steady progression up the hill, thru the sand or mud etc etc. Does anyone know how the "new technology" compares with the traditional offroad options? I'm thinking of contacting this well respected mag to ask.

Post #130660 5th Feb 2012 11:51 am
DaxRadar

South Africa 2010 Freelander 2 TD4 Sport Auto Lago Grey
Terrain Response

All I can tell you is that it works!!!

Post #131023 7th Feb 2012 6:23 pm
The Doctor

United Kingdom 

Brilliant in the snow and ice we have had. In normal mode the power is split something like 80/20 or 90/10. In GGS I believe it is 60/40 and in the other 2 it is 50/50.

In the snow with GGS on, it also backs off the throttle response which aids smoother power delivery on slippery surfaces. Of course a steadier throttle can be achieved with driver skill for those without TR (I had an FL1 before which didn't have it and that was great in snow) but TR makes life easier for the driver Thumbs Up LL.B (Hons) - University of Derby
LOT (Lord of Time) - University of Gallifrey

Post #131030 7th Feb 2012 7:50 pm
rchrdleigh

England 2011 Freelander 2 TD4 XS Manual Baltic Blue

An experienced LRE instructor told me that he likes to teach people to offroad in the Defender as they learn how to do it in a basic vehicle. This then helps them to understand what TR and all the other electronic aids are doing when they move onto one of the more advanced vehicles.

Post #131031 7th Feb 2012 8:00 pm
mikehzz

Australia 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 SE Auto Lago Grey

For crawling you can't beat front and rear diff locks. The Disco terrain response is a lot better than the FL2 because it has low range and revving the engine while crawling to get the TR to kick in doesn't cause anywhere near the wheel spin. Don't get me wrong, the FL2 is far better off road than its competitors. The TR works pretty hard though. I have had the transmission temperature warning light come on during some long steep rock climbing excursions. Not hot days either. The GGS setting is excellent and really ties the car down well on slippery roads but is a totally different situation to where diff locks are used. You can't even steer with the front diffs locked.

Post #131038 7th Feb 2012 9:07 pm
jaksbak@freel2

Australia 2011 Freelander 2 SD4 SE Auto Stornoway Grey

No diputes with you Mike, in that low range (eg: Disco) is better than without (FL2). But then again, so too is a decent suspension system, better tyres, diff locks etc. What I was trying to say was:- "how would each of the test vehicles have faired under each of the scanarios with Terrain Response On versus OFF ?" I was always concerned about not having low range on the FL2 before I purchased but have since been convinced that it is better than all manner of "4WD's" that might have low range but don't have Terrain Response. For example, I feel safer in my auto FL2 in most scenarios than I did with my previous Toyota and it's low-range and limited slip diff. For mine, it's another dimension and I just wish the journalists I mentioned had a vehicle in their testing that could offer TR as that "extra variable" to see what difference it made. I can't remember whether you are running a manual or auto FL2, but I feel much safer with the auto than I would with a manual in conditions where low-range would otherwise be activated.
. . . anyhow*, the Fl2 performed flawlessly again in fluffy sand yesterday when I headed up to Kinkuna NP for a bit of overnight stress release. After a surprise storm that came out of nowhere just after dark, the sand was a lot easier to negotiate this morning, but I had at least 5 water crossings from swollen creeks - a good chance to clear some of the sand & salt from the underbody!

Post #131068 8th Feb 2012 11:24 am
mikehzz

My Jeep is an 04 diesel model and has open diffs, no traction control and has low range. It has better clearance then the FL2 and is great while the wheels are on the ground but as soon as it gets cross axled ie diagonal wheels loose traction then it is stuck. The FL2 easily keeps going in the same situation...it's an auto by the way. I think a better choice when no low range is available.
I've been keeping the FL2 at home because the kms are piling up on it. I took the Jeep to Robe in SA just after xmas...the softest most treacherous sand I've ever been on but fabulous. I had to get winched off one beach as the sand basically caved in...almost drowned the car, the waves were lapping on the wheels as it was being pulled out. Very interesting Smile I've never seen so many stuck cars. There is about 100kms of beach/dune and national park driving and camping down there. Great scenery and the water was crystal clear. Cheers.

Post #131076 8th Feb 2012 1:02 pm
Goozle

Australia 2014 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Auto Fuji White

Mike I'm heading to Robe in March, and plan driving from Beachport through to Robe. Based on your experience, how do you think the Freelander will handle the soft sand?

Post #341573 6th Feb 2018 5:13 am
Lightwater

Ukraine 2013 Freelander 2 2.0T SE Auto Fuji White

Information on Little Dip & Long Gully between Beachport & Robe. We were there end of November. The last bit of sand onto the beach was maybe a bit soft and we didn't have any sand tracks with us so we were not going to risk it. We did have a tow rope but were the only car so it's not a lot of help! But the beaches were firm to drive on. http://www.freel2.com/forum/post341583.html#341583 Procrastination, mankind's greatest labour saving device!

Acoustic insulation ARB TPMS 3xARB air compressors After cooler Air tank On-board OCD pressure air/water cleaning Additional 50L fuel Carpet in doors ABE 2x1kg Waeco 28L modified fridge Battery 4x26ah Solar 120w Victron MPPT 100/20 DC-DC 18amps 175amp jumper plug Awning 6x255/60R18

Post #341589 6th Feb 2018 10:06 am
Goozle

Thanks for the advice & link to your trip. I missed your original post. You saw some beautiful,parts of SA on your travels.. Hope I'll be able to add some photos of the Beachport to Robe trip that compare with yours.

Post #341644 6th Feb 2018 8:47 pm
Lightwater

I got 2 sets of these (4) while on sale at $99 a pair. Although not the best make I think they are solid enough for the Freelander & the longer ones take up too much space. 4 smaller ones are better & still cheaper than 2 larger top of the range ones.
On sale until the 11th https://www.anacondastores.com/camping-hik...BP90119005

Click image to enlarge
 Procrastination, mankind's greatest labour saving device!

Acoustic insulation ARB TPMS 3xARB air compressors After cooler Air tank On-board OCD pressure air/water cleaning Additional 50L fuel Carpet in doors ABE 2x1kg Waeco 28L modified fridge Battery 4x26ah Solar 120w Victron MPPT 100/20 DC-DC 18amps 175amp jumper plug Awning 6x255/60R18

Post #341649 6th Feb 2018 10:05 pm
mikehzz

Goozle wrote:
Mike I'm heading to Robe in March, and plan driving from Beachport through to Robe. Based on your experience, how do you think the Freelander will handle the soft sand?

My experience is that the FL2 is as good as anything on sand provided you have 17" tyres preferrably at least a size larger. Ideally, either 245/65/17 or 245/70/17. Not only do the larger tyres give you a bigger footprint, they also increase clearance. Sand is a very changeable surface and can be ok one day, but treacherous the next. If things go pear shaped, don't be afraid to go down to 10psi to get some grip but drive slower and don't make any sharp turns. Turn off the DSC and drive in manual sand mode. If you get stuck, switch to mud/ruts to try and crawl out. Avoid revving the engine and spinning the wheels if you aren't moving because you'll just dig a hole. If you want to stop for any reason gradually drive up the beach away from the water and and gently swing the nose around so you park facing slightly downhill towards the water. Trying to move off while pointing in any way uphill is sometimes not possible. If you come to a stop and you are pointing uphill on even the slightest incline, you will probably have to reverse to get moving. Don't put your brakes on to stop, you will just create a mini dune in front of your wheels, the sand will pull you up without the brakes. If you feel the car labouring then you have too much air in the tyres. I can't be bothered mucking around with tyre pressures any more, I go straight to 15psi on sand and it works for all but the softest and I've never had any trouble with the tyres after years and years of sand driving in every state of Australia.

Post #342297 13th Feb 2018 8:52 pm
dorsetfreelander

United Kingdom 2014 Freelander 2 SD4 XS Auto Loire Blue

My son who is an agronomist and travels around farm tracks and on motorways alike for his job had two FL2s and then switched to a Mitsubishi L200. The L200 had low range, difflock plus more ground clearance and he found that going over the same terrain the L200 was generally just as capable despite lack of fancy terrain settings. He said that he did miss the HDC at times. Main reason for switching to an L200 was financial and reliability. He now works in Kenya and has a Toyota Hilux which is as tough as old boots. 3 x FL1 2 manual + 1 auto
5 x FL2 4 manual + 1 auto
Now Discovery Sport P250 MHEV SE

Post #342300 13th Feb 2018 10:12 pm
Goozle

Thanks again for your valuable advice Mikehzz. 15 psi from the start and lower if required sound like really good advice. I also like your tip about keeping the nose facing the downhill when stopping. I'll give an update after the trip.

Post #342316 14th Feb 2018 9:15 am
Lightwater

Stumbled across this on Robe beach run: https://www.outbacktravelaustralia.com.au/...-beach-run Procrastination, mankind's greatest labour saving device!

Post #343523 28th Feb 2018 2:04 am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>