Home > Maintenance & Modifications > Fitting Dash Trim
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
Narvik

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 S Manual Narvik Black
Fitting Dash Trim

Hi all

I was lucky enough to get a new dash trim kit for Xmas to replace the black trim I currently have. I thought it would simply be a matter of clicking the old trim out and clicking the new trim in. This seems not to be the case?

Has anyone switched the trim over and could give me some pointers. The kit is in three parts (Long piece along the top of the glovebox, short piece around the key fob entry point and one piece around the light switches)

Any clues would be welcome, thanks

Post #12294 29th Dec 2007 4:15 pm
joe1978

United Kingdom 2011 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Fuji White

Mmmmm, I wanted to do this as well so if you find out I would be interested to know how!!!

joe MY11 Fuji white Td4 150 GS straight up no mixer.

Post #12372 30th Dec 2007 11:33 pm
Tim in Scotland

United Kingdom 

Do the new ones have self adhesive "double sided stickies" on the back?
If so then the old ones are probably put on the same way and to remove them you need to acquire a hairdryer from Mrs Narvik and a length of dental floss or thin fishing line. Heat the old trims with the hairdryer to soften the adhesive and when it has become soft slide the floss between the trim and the dash as a "knife" to separate the trim from the dash (you might an assistant to hold the hairdryer and maintain the warmth on the trim.) Slide the floss right the way along the back until the trim falls off. You can also use very thin fishing line for this as well. Remove any remaining adhesive with a damp cloth and dry the surface thoroughly with the hairdryer. Now peel the backing of the stickies on the wood trim and position it (you only get one go at this so have a few practise goes before unpeeling the backing from the adhesive stickies.) Once you have stuck the new trim in position then warm it up again with the hairdryer and press it more firmly into position. This also works for removing and replacing the exterior badging, except you also have to make sure that if you are putting badges on that the panel area is thoroughly clean and dry. How can carbon have a footprint, it has no feet?
Now driving - RRE Coupe Dynamic Lux Auto with Plus pack, Fuji White, Ebony, SD4 with tow pack
Gone - 2010MY FFRR TDv8 Stornoway and Ivory, Privacy - the pace of a TDv8 RRS, the incomparable grace of a Range Rover
Gone but will be missed- RRS Tdv8 HSE Stornoway Grey with Ebony Leather
Gone (only a little missed) RRS Tdv6 2.7SE Giverny Green/Aspen
Defender 90 County HT in Epsom Green

Post #12380 31st Dec 2007 12:14 am
npinks

United Kingdom 
Re: Fitting Dash Trim

Narvik wrote:
Hi all

I was lucky enough to get a new dash trim kit for Xmas to replace the black trim I currently have. I thought it would simply be a matter of clicking the old trim out and clicking the new trim in. This seems not to be the case?

Has anyone switched the trim over and could give me some pointers. The kit is in three parts (Long piece along the top of the glovebox, short piece around the key fob entry point and one piece around the light switches)

I would speak to your dealer, I bought genuine LR side tubes off eBay and they only cost an hours labour to fit, money well spent since they should know what they are doing. Former Mod/Member, with the most post & Chicken George Arch nemesis

Post #12381 31st Dec 2007 12:20 am
ej

England 

Narvik wrote:
Hi all

If you have bought the accesories trim kit you simply stick it over the top of the existing trim no need to remove the existing trim

Post #12394 31st Dec 2007 11:14 am
Gambba

United Arab Emirates 2008 LR2 i6 HSE Auto Stornoway Grey

npinks wrote:
I would speak to your dealer, I bought genuine LR side tubes off eBay and they only cost an hours labour to fit, money well spent since they should know what they are doing.

How rude of you not to post some pics in your gallery of your side tubes Censored Exclamation Evil or Very Mad Very Happy

how'd they look? Was considering side steps or tubes when I pick mine up, but not sure. I do think they might just be the finishing touch on the Fl2.

Post #12409 31st Dec 2007 2:07 pm
npinks

United Kingdom 

Gambba wrote:
npinks wrote:
I would speak to your dealer, I bought genuine LR side tubes off eBay and they only cost an hours labour to fit, money well spent since they should know what they are doing.

How rude of you not to post some pics in your gallery of your side tubes Censored Exclamation Evil or Very Mad Very Happy

how'd they look? Was considering side steps or tubes when I pick mine up, but not sure. I do think they might just be the finishing touch on the Fl2.

Very Happy I'll sort some pictures out for you, in the meantime, look at Carlfraz's album he has the same tubes as me.

I found the tube (black ones) look better on Stornaway Grey and been 6'3" the side steps on a demonstrator got in the way as you have to step into the car from further out from the side to get it, and if i stepped on them to get in i was too high and had to crouch more. Former Mod/Member, with the most post & Chicken George Arch nemesis

Post #12411 31st Dec 2007 2:31 pm
Narvik

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 S Manual Narvik Black

Thanks all for comments. After having a closer look at my black trim I have found it is not trim at all but all one part for each section. My trim isn't jsut stick on trim either, it actually has fittments attached. Si it looks like it will have to go on ebay as I can't use it!! Sad

Post #12494 2nd Jan 2008 1:48 pm
npinks

United Kingdom 

Narvik wrote:
Thanks all for comments. After having a closer look at my black trim I have found it is not trim at all but all one part for each section. My trim isn't jsut stick on trim either, it actually has fittments attached. Si it looks like it will have to go on ebay as I can't use it!! Sad

Has your local dealer looked at the trims you bought, to check they are original and for the FL2? Former Mod/Member, with the most post & Chicken George Arch nemesis

Post #12502 2nd Jan 2008 3:44 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1