Home > Australia & New Zealand > UHF installation
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
c_r_a_i_g

Australia 2010 Freelander 2 TD4 SE Auto Santorini Black
UHF installation

Hey Guys,

I just made the crossing Brisbane to Perth_ it was very short notice and i was very unprepared_ but the wagon made it packed to the roof with my stuff any problems. The biggest pain in the butt was the lack of mobile coverage (I've been spoiled living on the east coast travelling up and down the pacific Highway). I thought i would finally take my dads advice and install a UHF radio.

Does anyone have any recommendations and pics of installations? especially where the arial should be mounted!

Cheers.

Post #118435 29th Oct 2011 6:14 am
mikehzz

Australia 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 SE Auto Lago Grey

Difficult given the lack of accessories and that LR nudge bars tend to be made of non metal. There may be a metal bar out there now? Aerials are better fitted to metal. I would go for the type of radio that has all the controls on the hand set. That way the actual box can be fitted out of the way like under the seat. BTW UHF only has line of sight range so max of about 10 kms on average.

Post #118437 29th Oct 2011 7:45 am
c_r_a_i_g

Australia 2010 Freelander 2 TD4 SE Auto Santorini Black

Thanks Mike,

The less intrusive the better_ I was thinking like you said of either having everything in the hand set and mounting under the seat or having a unit with a smaller remote display something similar to the this,

http://www.gme.net.au/products/radio-commu...ios/TX3520

obviously the backlit screen and buttons need to be green_

The range isn't great but some communication is better than none, its even good to listen in to the trucks to find out whats happening on the road ahead.

For mounting i was thinking of just running a cable up the a pillar and possibly mounting the antenna on the glass or running it all the way back to the boot and mounting it on either the spoiler - because there is what likes like a spot for a reversing camera in it so i would think that there must be a way to get cables into it, but thats plastic, or mounting it on the roof - (i'd be interested in how the little sat-nav antenna is mounted on the roof)

Cheers.

Post #118495 30th Oct 2011 12:10 am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1