Forum-Gallery-Shop-Sponsors

« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > Maintenance & Modifications > Anyone experience with "dpf full" sign in dash
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 2 <12
Print this entire topic · 
defkalion

Greece 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Stornoway Grey

Little fortune telling:

End of September 2007 - LR releases new software for PDF equipped FL2's.
While off roading, driver reads on computer info screen 'PDF Full - Prepare for clearing'.
New seatbelt mechanism tesnsions seatbelt further (B-pillar wears out even faster), computer takes charge... next: steep hill, accelarates to clean filter, take off. Next message after 15 mins of full throttle: 'Flying at 100 ft, check for residents underneath', 'preparing to get rid of burnt particles' 'Flushing!' 'Landing'. Enviromentally cautious that is!
Rolling with laughter Very Happy Rolling with laughter Laughing Rolling with laughter Sheep

Post #6441 9th Sep 2007 10:38 pm
yamaha-fan

Germany 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Stornoway Grey

Defkalion - I must get this new software - your discription sounds very intreaging!
What a future in driving!
End of September - how long is this?

Yamaha-Fan

Post #6489 10th Sep 2007 11:26 am
albert frederik

Netherlands 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 S Auto Narvik Black

@defkolianiakiscostascalimera, Laughing Laughing Laughing

Post #6501 10th Sep 2007 7:24 pm
defkalion

Greece 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Stornoway Grey

Kalimera everybody. Very Happy
Wish you solve this problem soon. I'm really curious how they'll do it. How do other makes deal with this?

Post #6516 10th Sep 2007 10:51 pm
yamaha-fan

DPF "FULL"

As a lawyer, I have been curious to know what motor oil Landrover uses in the new LR2's, and have handed over 1/2 litre of the old motor oil from my LR2 TD4 DPF to a laboratory for an analysis.
The result is now on the table: Landrover has used (ex works) motor oil for my DPF-TD4 which does NOT conform to the oil specification required for engines with DPF. Diesel engines usually consume slightly more motor oil than petrol engines, and particularely engines with DPF require motor oils with a very low ash content of less than 0,8 Vol%. BMW, VW, Audi and Mercedes for example have issued their own standard for motor-oils suitable for DPF-engines. One of such oils is Shell Helix Ultra Extra 5W30 long life 3.
What makes me think is that Peugeot and Citroen, which use basically the same engine as Landrover in its TD4, recommend special oils for their TD4 with DPF.
But Landrover refers to the Ford Norm 913B, which is NOT suitable for engines with DPF.
Is somebody here deeply sleeping?

Yamaha-Fan

Post #6521 11th Sep 2007 7:18 am
Gambba

United Arab Emirates 2008 LR2 i6 HSE Auto Stornoway Grey
Re: DPF "FULL"

What did you have the lab test for? or did you just ask them to check it against the Ford norm you refer to?

Post #6523 11th Sep 2007 8:18 am
yamaha-fan

It was a general oil analysis (metal content, sulphor, additives and ash-factor)

YF

Post #6524 11th Sep 2007 8:34 am
albert frederik

@yamahafan, very thoughtful of you, I wonder do you plan to notify LR head office with this and do they acknowledge this issue"??

Are there any examples of this combination of faulty oil and dpf in Germany already and what the damage can be? maybe at other makes as bmw or mercedes?

Post #6540 11th Sep 2007 2:06 pm
albert frederik

quote "Sulphated AshSulphated ash from the engine oil can contribute to ash blockage in DPFs and CRTs. This results in raised back pressure on the engine and a fuel economy penalty.AshThe Lube Impact on Exhaust Aftertreatment Systems"

@yamahafan

did some googling, on sheet 7 you can see what ash does to the dpf

http://www1.eere.energy.gov/vehiclesandfue...ardasz.pdf

Post #6559 11th Sep 2007 8:09 pm
yamaha-fan

Hello Albert, thank you for the link. Was very intereting to read.
The great problem with burned motor oil is that the resulting residuals are very different from the diesel soot and heavily clogg the catalysator and/or the DPF and such clogging cannot be burned away as diesel soot can. So on the long run you destroy your DPF and ultimately your engine due to the increasing back pressure within the exhaust system. This has led to the electronic alarm "reduced engine performance" in some Freelander 2.
So best is to avoid any such clogging by using motor oil approved for DPF engines.
I have changed the motor oil of my new Freelander 2 TD4 DPF Automatic against such DPF-approved motor oil
(Mobil 1 EPC 5W30 or Shell Helix Ultra Extra 5W30 are such oils, which conform to Mercedes and BMW norm for DPF protection) But the oil industry has reacted to the increasing demand of motor oils for DPF engines and the new international norm ACEA C1 to C4 has been introduced for classification of motor oils approved for use in diesel engines with DPF. Unfortunately, this ACEA C-norm is so new that you will have problems to find motor oils so classified at the moment. But for every problem is a solution: Merdedes has two or three years ago introduced its own motor oil norm 229.31 (oil change interval 15.000 km) and 229.51 (oil change interval 25.000 km) for diesel engines with DPF which conform to ACEA C4. Such Oils are available on the market, and if you buy such oil, it MUST indicate on the oil-bottle this Mercedes norm. If you use any such oil you are on the very safe side.
As I have obvisously well in time changed my motor oil against this Mercedes approved oil for DPF-engines, I have not experienced any such problems of reduced engine performance yet, and I hope that I will be spared due to my preventive action.
YF

Post #6591 12th Sep 2007 6:32 am
lagarhus

2007 Freelander 2 TD4 S Auto Izmir Blue

Hello,

Just a supplemental comment: It is of course unacceptable to have to go to manual cleaning at 3000 rpm for 20 minutes. Here in Norway the Freelander 2 problem is reason to cancel the purchase and retrieve all monies. The problem is, however, that there are no car really as nice/good for the money. So even though I am happy driving a fancy substitute, I still hold in and trust that the problem will be solved. A Freelander 2 in Norway would entail much higher price due to "pollution tax", and would of course (for cards sold) have to be paid by LR.

Post #6680 13th Sep 2007 7:29 pm
chicken george

United Kingdom 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 XS Manual Santorini Black

audi seem to have dpf trouble too see this thread

http://www.audi-sport.net/vb/showthread.ph...hlight=dpf

Post #11786 16th Dec 2007 2:07 am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 2 of 2 <12