Forum-Gallery-Shop-Sponsors

« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > Maintenance & Modifications > screen de-icer OK for the paintwork?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
scotster

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Stornoway Grey
screen de-icer OK for the paintwork?

Its been sub zero for the last few days around here and there has been a healthy layer of frost on the car in the morning.

Normally I would give the windows a liberal dose of spray on de-icer rather than do all that scraping business.
BUT I have been worried that it may contain nasty chemicals that may harm rubber seals or paintwork on my new expensive toy.

Please let me know I am worrying unnecessarily.
What kind of fool company would make a de-icer that was in any way dangerous!?

Thanks. Yours, awaiting, Scraper and Spray can in either hand...... '57 GS TD4 in Stornoway. Privacy, Leather, Tred Cills. From ebay etc.. 18" 12 spoke HSE alloys, rear spoiler, clear side repeaters with clear leds, led interior light to replace bulbs, sports exhaust trim, TomTom 720.
Favourite Off road vehicle, still my Santa Cruz Mountain Bike! Smile http://www.team-banana-racing.com

Post #11591 12th Dec 2007 2:45 pm
Tim in Scotland

United Kingdom 

Scotster you can rest assured that you are worrying unnecessarily, so long as you don't use the mega powerful de-icers.
If you are wealthy enough and have a Land Rover dealership nearby go in there and buy some of theirs, but I think you will find that you are paying 50-100% more for a bottle just to have it in a green plastic sprayer and a Land Rover logo on it Mr. Green I have been using Halfords double strength winter grade windscreen washer additive and their de-icer for years (and all year round too) and none of my Land Rovers has suffered any paintwork damage. Don't you have a heated front screen on your F2? How can carbon have a footprint, it has no feet?
Now driving - RRE Coupe Dynamic Lux Auto with Plus pack, Fuji White, Ebony, SD4 with tow pack
Gone - 2010MY FFRR TDv8 Stornoway and Ivory, Privacy - the pace of a TDv8 RRS, the incomparable grace of a Range Rover
Gone but will be missed- RRS Tdv8 HSE Stornoway Grey with Ebony Leather
Gone (only a little missed) RRS Tdv6 2.7SE Giverny Green/Aspen
Defender 90 County HT in Epsom Green

Post #11595 12th Dec 2007 3:39 pm
scotster

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Stornoway Grey

Cheers Tim.

That's what I thought. I'm not normally a worrier - honest.

Heated windscreen - for Surrey?!!
Thats almost as daft buying a 4x4 for negotiating the tricky off camber horse turds that you encounter driving around these parts . Wink

Rgds. S. '57 GS TD4 in Stornoway. Privacy, Leather, Tred Cills. From ebay etc.. 18" 12 spoke HSE alloys, rear spoiler, clear side repeaters with clear leds, led interior light to replace bulbs, sports exhaust trim, TomTom 720.
Favourite Off road vehicle, still my Santa Cruz Mountain Bike! Smile http://www.team-banana-racing.com

Post #11596 12th Dec 2007 3:45 pm
Nick Jan

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 SE Auto Stornoway Grey
used mine

I used my heated front screen to de-ice the windscreen in Surrey only 2 days ago! ... maybe that was the polar region of Surrey Rolling with laughter  Life is not a dress rehearsal!

Post #11612 13th Dec 2007 1:16 am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1