Forum-Gallery-Shop-Sponsors

« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > Finance & Insurance > What is going on with insurance?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 3 <123>
Print this entire topic · 
Captain Worm

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 SE Auto Narvik Black

npinks wrote:

I really do think the system needs a overhaul, problem with crushing them if they have a car on Hire Purchase they cant crush it, or seize it and sell at auction as they HP company is the one that owns it not the uninsured driver

In that case - finance companies should take responsibility and if proof of insurance is not available the car should be taken away - simples Thumbs Up Freelander 2 TD4 Auto, SE, Narvik Black, Alpaca full leather, Rear Headrest Entertainment System, 6 CD, 18 HSE Wheels, Privicy tints

Post #114036 20th Sep 2011 1:34 pm
chicken george

United Kingdom 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 XS Manual Santorini Black

Fl2 was £330 p.a. RRS £380 fully comp no claims protect £150 excess At work
At home

"I can't always believe facts I read on the web" - Charles Dickens

winner by default of the tractor vs caravan race

Post #114273 21st Sep 2011 6:19 pm
realspeed

United Kingdom 

Sainsburys car insurance about £300

Realspeed Ex 2010 Freelander2 GS-e Diesel manual Silver owner

Post #114274 21st Sep 2011 6:21 pm
simont

England 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Tonga Green

chicken george wrote:
Fl2 was £330 p.a. RRS £380 p.m. fully comp no claims protect £150 excess

Thumbs Up 2002 Honda VFR800
2002 Toyota Celica 140 Silver (mid life crisis - again!)
2007 FL2 GS Manual Army Reconnaissance Green + freel2.com sticker Smile
2004 Toyota Celica 140 Black - Gone
2000 Toyota Celica 140 Silver - Gone
1998 Toyota Celica ST Pearl Green - Gone
1996 Nissan Primera 1.6 - Gone
1994 Rover Montego 1.6 Auto - Gone

Post #114315 22nd Sep 2011 6:17 am
chicken george

simont wrote:
chicken george wrote:
Fl2 was £330 p.a. RRS £380 p.m. fully comp no claims protect £150 excess

Thumbs Up

The best thing about those quotes is that they are NFU insurance ,they actually pay out on claims, and the girl at the office is HOT, with a soft irish voice, she could tell me it was £3800 and Id nod and smile Laughing At work
At home

Post #114354 22nd Sep 2011 11:29 am
landy19840

Israel 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 SE Manual Zermatt Silver

Just renewed with churchill, 5 years no claims £420 oh and I am 27. Not bad me thinks

Post #115614 3rd Oct 2011 5:14 pm
The Doctor

United Kingdom 

landy19840 wrote:
Just renewed with churchill, 5 years no claims £420 oh and I am 27. Not bad me thinks

Interesting. I too am 27 but with 3 years ncb. Churchill's renewal of £720 was claimed by them to have increased because they have been hit by interest rate increases etc etc.

Always been happy with them but at £512, I could not afford not to go with AXA. LL.B (Hons) - University of Derby
LOT (Lord of Time) - University of Gallifrey

Post #115751 4th Oct 2011 9:26 pm
Past master

United Kingdom 

Sometimes their ideas seem weird to say the least. I'm a retired bloke but I work occasionally. Last time I renewed (Swiftcover) they said they wouldn't give me business cover as I was retired. So I said OK, I work in education. They gave me business cover and knocked 50 quid off. Why Question Btw Swiftcover aka AXA seem about the cheapest for me, and didn't go up exorbitantly when I renewed. Only problem is going abroad - if more than 3 days they charge extra.

Post #119753 9th Nov 2011 10:25 pm
driftpuma

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 SE Auto Santorini Black

I am the same with insurance going up and up, But on the other hand my car has gone up and up in the last few years. But there was a time when you could barter. Last time I tried they just said 'the computer says thats the price so thats the price'

Not even a glimer of trying to keep my business. Just seems that they are out to get the new custom, not keep the continued custom.

Oh and dont even get me started on uninsured drivers Censored

Post #120361 15th Nov 2011 5:54 pm
MartynB

United Kingdom 2009 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Auto Zermatt Silver

My Mrs is paying £800+ with NFU, fully protected no claims Rolling with laughter however, they have just paid out on the 13 year old Defender County that was nicked. This is a case of you get what you pay for, NFU charged £400+ for the defender, but within one month had settled at £9000, as a replacement for the 13 year old car at a fair market value, which can not be faulted, NFU is still I believe a mutual insurer and premiums are suffering heavily due to rising Defender and tractor theft, and obviously she is heavily loaded following that loss. I still think I will stick with them as when the Censored hits the fan they are brilliant. I would not see any of the internet insurers popping up full replacement like that.

Any way Insurers are robbing bastards, my 18 year old grandson is paying £850 TPFT on a 33bhp restricted Suzuki motorbike worth £3800 Shocked when i had a quote from a leading insurer for the same bike at £1900 TPFT , he was staggered when I explained it would be better for the kid to go uninsured and pay any fine in the unlikely event that he was caught . 2009 GS Auto Zermatt Silver - Sold June 21 after 10 years of ownership

2016 Subaru Outback SE 2.0 diesel SE Premium Lineartronic Sold 2024 after 8 years and 80k miles . Best Car I ever owned !

2023 Toyota Hilux invincible X 2.8 Auto .

Post #120389 16th Nov 2011 12:32 am
Tigger

United Kingdom 

Captain Worm wrote:
npinks wrote:

I really do think the system needs a overhaul, problem with crushing them if they have a car on Hire Purchase they cant crush it, or seize it and sell at auction as they HP company is the one that owns it not the uninsured driver

In that case - finance companies should take responsibility and if proof of insurance is not available the car should be taken away - simples Thumbs Up

So what if there is a valid insurance policy for the vehicle and it's usual driver, but it's being driven by someone else who isn't insured; a thief, for example? Should it be siezed and crushed then? What if the keeper cashes in their insurance policy the day after proving to the HP company that they were insured? Some things in life are never that simple.

Changing the subject slightly, the new preferred method of catching uninsured drivers is to check their registration against the Motor Insurance Database. If the vehicle is insured, then everything is assumed to be okay. However, the insurance on my RS only covers my wife and me, but not anyone else. If someone else were to drive it, it would probably be uninsured, but the current method of catching uninsured cars would be completely fooled. I hate the over reliance on cameras!

Post #120391 16th Nov 2011 6:09 am
simont

England 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Tonga Green

I can understand premiums going up (being loaded!) if you cause accidents etc and it's your fault - but in the case of a vehicle being stolen how can that be blamed on the driver. How does that make you more of an insurance risk? Does it mean if one of your cars is stolen then all o fthem are likely to be stolen. 2002 Honda VFR800
2002 Toyota Celica 140 Silver (mid life crisis - again!)
2007 FL2 GS Manual Army Reconnaissance Green + freel2.com sticker Smile
2004 Toyota Celica 140 Black - Gone
2000 Toyota Celica 140 Silver - Gone
1998 Toyota Celica ST Pearl Green - Gone
1996 Nissan Primera 1.6 - Gone
1994 Rover Montego 1.6 Auto - Gone

Post #120392 16th Nov 2011 7:05 am
Tandemman

England 2009 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Auto Rimini Red

They call it a no claim bonus not a no blame bonus,
ever since private equity firms bought out the major players, (AA included) it's all been about shareholder profit and not actuarially worked out policy pricing. Remember it is the insurance companies that own the credit hire businesses that are tearing the Censored out of the insurance world.

Post #120395 16th Nov 2011 8:11 am
chicken george

during the purchase of my new motor I had to ensure the old and new cars at the same time (private plate swap).

Simple I thought insure the rrs third party only until I collect it, wrong 3rd party only was considerably more money than fully comp Rolling Eyes At work
At home

Post #120406 16th Nov 2011 11:54 am
MartynB

United Kingdom 2009 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Auto Zermatt Silver

simont wrote:
I can understand premiums going up (being loaded!) if you cause accidents etc and it's your fault - but in the case of a vehicle being stolen how can that be blamed on the driver. How does that make you more of an insurance risk? Does it mean if one of your cars is stolen then all o fthem are likely to be stolen.

Unfortunately if you drive a Defender yes. they are one of the most targeted vehicles, and if you have one nicked they thieves will come back later for the replacement, and you are therefore a higher risk ,and also as stated above it is a claims business not a blames business. we will shop around but at the end of the day an £800 policy that pays out is cheaper than a £500 one with Weasel Insurance Ltd............ 2009 GS Auto Zermatt Silver - Sold June 21 after 10 years of ownership

2016 Subaru Outback SE 2.0 diesel SE Premium Lineartronic Sold 2024 after 8 years and 80k miles . Best Car I ever owned !

2023 Toyota Hilux invincible X 2.8 Auto .

Post #120428 16th Nov 2011 3:55 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 2 of 3 <123>