Forum-Gallery-Shop-Sponsors

« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > General > HDC System Fault - Refusal to Start!!
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 2 <12
Print this entire topic · 
Past master

United Kingdom 

You'll find the tip about double locking in previous posts. Sugest you take some time to scan back through the info on this excellent site.

Post #86113 1st Jan 2011 9:38 pm
Keekeemonkme

United Kingdom 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Manual Santorini Black

...Will do.

You're right this site is excellent Thumbs Up Really enjoying reading through the forum although I don't think my wife shares my enthusiasm for FL2 knowledge especially at 1am! Rolling with laughter Made all the more easier by having an iPad... Thank you Santa! Laughing ______________________________
2008 FL2 HSE Auto in Santorini Black, Dual sunroof

Post #86118 1st Jan 2011 10:41 pm
The Road Toad

England 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 SE Manual Narvik Black

We have just had the HDC System error message when attempting to start the engine and sod's law - we were 200 miles from home!
On pushing the start button the lights on the dash came up and then went heywire and then no lights and had trouble removing the key.
Time to call the AA man who arrived fairly quickly and reckoned that it was a battery issue.
Battery was showing only 7.7 volts charge and a continuous 3.4 amp discharge- so something was 'turned on' and had not shut down when 'Betty' was last used.
He disconnected the battery leads and held the pos and neg leads together for about 10 seconds to 'reset' the electrics.
The battery was then tested and shown as 'Good'.
Battery was reconnected and jump leads connected to the AA van and Betty started first time.

It would appear that something - possibly the retracting door mirrors - had not shut down completely when the engine was last stopped and/or the double locking via the key fob did not complete Tattoos - Why would you choose to look like the wall of a public toilet?

Post #104506 7th Jun 2011 9:36 am
Bananaman

England 2011 Freelander 2 SD4 XS Auto Fuji White

@ the roadtoad,

You have just described the exact same problem as I have had with my FL2 brought new in December 2010. It has happened approx. 6 times now and is currently at my local dealers where I have rejected it.

My dealership in Cambridge has been outstanding in trying to rectify it and providing me with another FL2 to drive even after I rejected mine. They even think they might have found the fault (dodgy central locking module) but obviously cannot guarantee that it will be the last time.

I will update my original thread when I finally hear what the outcome of rejecting a faulty model within 6 months of buying it is.

Post #104818 9th Jun 2011 8:51 pm
rorsters

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 SE Manual Tambora Flame
HDC FAULT, Won't start.

Bought my FL2 4 days ago (07) and I've just had the same problem today in Tesco car park. Today was the first time I'd used AUTO Lights, and had only just used the Tailgate button for the first time. Must get the Battery tested. Hope I'm not going to have problems. Big Cry

Post #109437 6th Aug 2011 4:09 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
superspark

United Kingdom 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 SE Manual Izmir Blue

As with all makes of car, there has to be enough cranking voltage or the ECU will not enter the starting cycle, the starting motor will not be engauged and system faults will be logged on the ECU with a visual warning in the display screen.
It always makes sence to carry a cheap clip on batery tester that you can keep in the car.
Shouldnt cost you any more than £10 on ebay Thumbs Up

Post #109438 6th Aug 2011 4:58 pm
jajmurray

South Africa 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 SE Manual Barolo Black
Freelander 2 2007 not starting with start button

Any luck anyone.

I have searched the internet and looks like everyone seems to have this issue without a solution.

Is there anyone out there who resolved this issue?

Post #374924 12th Jul 2019 1:44 pm
BossBob

England 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Baltic Blue

I’ve suffered the dreaded HDC Not Available and failure to start 3 or 4 times, luckily all while at home. Either a jump start from SWMBO’s car or a good charge normally gets it going again. I’ve fitted an extra earth lead, changed the battery (on its 3rd) and try to always double lock the car, but the fault has still occurred, though not recently (touching wood frantically!!!).
The HDC Not Available message is thrown as there is initially insufficient power to run the abs pump which is crucial for the HDC system.

Post #374997 14th Jul 2019 9:42 pm
Walenut

United Kingdom 2010 Freelander 2 TD4_e XS Manual Lago Grey

Past master wrote:
Also check that you are not inadvertently draining the battery - you must always lock the car with a double click, or the electrics will not power down. I have had this problem once, and I think it was down to using the rear door unlock button to open the car. Although the car locks automatically when the door is shut again, I suspect that it must still be double locked again to power everything down.

Interesting, went into the boot the other day via the button on the remote. Then not used for a couple of days. Had this fault today. It's on charge now. Have to see what happens as the rear diff is also starting to make a racket. Neutral

Post #391203 14th May 2020 6:07 pm
gasman

United Kingdom 2009 Freelander 2 TD4_e GS Manual Zermatt Silver

Get the battery load tested. If its not up to the job it will through all sorts of errors on start up, including 'Hill Decent Not Available' no Start Stop etc..
If in doubt change it. Thumbs Up Now at the point when I learn something new something old is lost out the other side !
Now retired so it doesn't matter anymore.
Freelander now gone.

Post #391204 14th May 2020 6:38 pm
Walenut

United Kingdom 2010 Freelander 2 TD4_e XS Manual Lago Grey

Cheers Gasman. The battery is fairly new. I'll keep an eye on it. Thumbs Up

Post #391208 14th May 2020 8:57 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 2 of 2 <12