« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > General > LR Warranty Expired 10 Days Ago - Now Major Oil Leak £1000
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 2 <12
Print this entire topic · 
superspark

United Kingdom 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 SE Manual Izmir Blue

Hi cyberil,
After speaking with your local landrover dealer you should of contacted landrover customer care direct and pleaded your case as nicely as possible. If you go at it like a bull in a china shop you will get NOTHING.
My car is six months out of warranty and just had a major fault with a £1,000 repair bill. What a shocker, speeking to LR customer sevices, got me a 25% reduction in the bill. Shame it wasent more but they could of said Censored off leaving me to foot the entire bill.

Post #109151 3rd Aug 2011 3:54 pm
EYorkshire

cyberil wrote:

For those of you who think I should have used the main dealers, that's BS especially after the EU directive on this. If you're a company car owner OK, but not if you're a private user and have to fork out hundreds more out of your on pocket...after all I'm just a poor Freelander driver and not a RR driver...Rant over!

It's not that you should have to use the main dealer, we all know that the directive states otherwise. Unfortunately car manufacturers/dealers do not play by the rule book and can bend those rules to suit themselves, there is no doubt that using an approved local repairer will still be frowned upon by LandRover and will be reflected in their offer.
We are still forced to accept their terms because of that big money repair that may happen.

Post #109153 3rd Aug 2011 3:57 pm
cyberil

United Kingdom 

rchrdleigh wrote:
LR initially offered me 33% of a £900 bill to replace the steering pinion on my first FL2. Dealer went into bat on my behalf because I'd had it serviced by them twice (1st and 3rd) and LR offered 66% before finally agreeing to meet the whole cost. It did help I had a new FL2 on order at the time but not from that Dealer but they still felt I had a good case a fought it on my behalf with LR.

They also gave me a reasonable price on my 3rd Service which is why i went to them rather than an independent. Good decision in the long run as it saved me at least £600 for an outlay of about £50 on the difference in service quotes.

I also had 2 services done by the main dealer. I did forget to mention that LR did offer me £500 of extras or serving on a new car. Had I known beforehand the consequences of using independent garages I may have changed my mind.

Post #109161 3rd Aug 2011 4:26 pm
cyberil

United Kingdom 

superspark wrote:
Hi cyberil,
After speaking with your local landrover dealer you should of contacted landrover customer care direct and pleaded your case as nicely as possible. If you go at it like a bull in a china shop you will get NOTHING.
My car is six months out of warranty and just had a major fault with a £1,000 repair bill. What a shocker, speeking to LR customer sevices, got me a 25% reduction in the bill. Shame it wasent more but they could of said Censored off leaving me to foot the entire bill.

Maybe it's the way I wrote my email but I did contact customer service first thing, before calling the dealer and I did it nicely, but admittedly got a bit irate when I was told by LR that I wasn't considered to be a 'LOYAL' customer. I frigging love Land Rovers or did at least, but it's always the same with LR, if theres a problem you're on your own. When I first got my FL2 the drivers seat kept slipping down. Fought for 6 months or more before LR customer service would replace it. They need to learn about building loyalty.

Post #109162 3rd Aug 2011 4:30 pm
cyberil

United Kingdom 

EYorkshire wrote:
cyberil wrote:

For those of you who think I should have used the main dealers, that's BS especially after the EU directive on this. If you're a company car owner OK, but not if you're a private user and have to fork out hundreds more out of your on pocket...after all I'm just a poor Freelander driver and not a RR driver...Rant over!

It's not that you should have to use the main dealer, we all know that the directive states otherwise. Unfortunately car manufacturers/dealers do not play by the rule book and can bend those rules to suit themselves, there is no doubt that using an approved local repairer will still be frowned upon by LandRover and will be reflected in their offer.
We are still forced to accept their terms because of that big money repair that may happen.

Really, wished I new that earlier but anyhow a 3 yr old car with 36k miles shouldn't have major problems. But then again it 'aint a car it's a Land Rover. My new car will be a Jeep Wrangler which are probably worse but then again it's a 'Jeep thing'.

Post #109163 3rd Aug 2011 4:34 pm
Swingwing

My mate has got a Jeep Wrangler and he really likes it. He says since owning it he has met so many interesting people, most of them motor mechanics.

Post #109169 3rd Aug 2011 5:26 pm
cyberil

United Kingdom 

Swingwing wrote:
My mate has got a Jeep Wrangler and he really likes it. He says since owning it he has met so many interesting people, most of them motor mechanics.

Smile People like this

Post #109171 3rd Aug 2011 5:33 pm
Mav71

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Manual Stornoway Grey

European Directive states that no warranty can be made void if you use a VAT approved workshop and genuine parts.

If you use a NON VAT registered workshop, then you don't have a leg to stand on. But it sounds like your main crank seal is leaking.

If the leak is that bad, you may find your clutch will need replacing as well. Freelander 2 HSE Lux 2013MY - Barolo Black with Ivory Leather. Alpine DVD - Privacy -Evoque 20" Dynamic Wheels and more to come.........

Post #109176 3rd Aug 2011 6:02 pm
ad210358

England 

Swingwing wrote:

Rolling with laughter Thumbs Up

Post #109177 3rd Aug 2011 6:03 pm
Past master

United Kingdom 

Jeep is a good buy if you can get it at American prices. If you buy at European prices you will quickly note the cheap build. I found that spares were expensive too. A guy hit the back of my Cherokee, wrote off his van and scratched my bumper (literally, just a scratch). Cost his insurance over a thousand and that was getting on for ten years ago.

Don't get me wrong, they're good cars, but have a look at the US domestic market prices and you'll see what I mean.

Post #109200 3rd Aug 2011 9:54 pm
cyberil

United Kingdom 

Past master wrote:
Jeep is a good buy if you can get it at American prices. If you buy at European prices you will quickly note the cheap build. I found that spares were expensive too. A guy hit the back of my Cherokee, wrote off his van and scratched my bumper (literally, just a scratch). Cost his insurance over a thousand and that was getting on for ten years ago.

Don't get me wrong, they're good cars, but have a look at the US domestic market prices and you'll see what I mean.

I see what you mean

US Dealer Price $30000 or £18,288
UK Dealer Price £27,000 ish

Perhaps an import would make more sense...don't know where to start though

Post #109205 3rd Aug 2011 11:00 pm
Past master

United Kingdom 

A friend has imported a couple of Chevvies fropm the US, but he ran them there first. Problems -

you get LHD and US spec (detuned engines, weird lights etc);
may only be available as petrol engine in US;
cost of shipping;
you get whacked for import duty. This will be charged on whatever the customs officer thinks is the UK value (ie, nearer to 30 000 than 18 000. And there is no appeal. You have to pay (my friend is a lawyer and he was incandescent when he discovered that!). Of course the opposite can also be true - I once imported a beat up Opel from Germany, pre-EU, and the reaction was "The minimum I can charge you is £10.00 sir. Is that OK?"

Post #109220 4th Aug 2011 9:20 am
cyberil

United Kingdom 

Past master wrote:
A friend has imported a couple of Chevvies fropm the US, but he ran them there first. Problems -

you get LHD and US spec (detuned engines, weird lights etc);
may only be available as petrol engine in US;
cost of shipping;
you get whacked for import duty. This will be charged on whatever the customs officer thinks is the UK value (ie, nearer to 30 000 than 18 000. And there is no appeal. You have to pay (my friend is a lawyer and he was incandescent when he discovered that!). Of course the opposite can also be true - I once imported a beat up Opel from Germany, pre-EU, and the reaction was "The minimum I can charge you is £10.00 sir. Is that OK?"

It seems like a lot of hassle and overall not a huge saving. The Wrangler has a huge 4.0 L Petrol engine in the US, here is's a 2 L Diesel. With only about 18 miles to the gallon on the petrol the returns of importing the car are diminishing. Then there's the resale value of a LHD and the cost of making it road legal, etc. I'm not saying it's any better or worse than a FL2 but it's a convertible and that really does it for me Bow down

Post #109222 4th Aug 2011 9:37 am
Past master

United Kingdom 

You could get Clarkson and his mates to cut the top off for you and create an "improved" convertible model.

Post #109223 4th Aug 2011 9:43 am
simont

England 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Tonga Green

Past master wrote:
You could get Clarkson's mates to cut the top off for you and create an "improved" convertible model whilst Clarkson hits something with a hammer saying "I'm sure this is how to do it!".

Thumbs Up 2002 Honda VFR800
2002 Toyota Celica 140 Silver (mid life crisis - again!)
2007 FL2 GS Manual Army Reconnaissance Green + freel2.com sticker Smile
2004 Toyota Celica 140 Black - Gone
2000 Toyota Celica 140 Silver - Gone
1998 Toyota Celica ST Pearl Green - Gone
1996 Nissan Primera 1.6 - Gone
1994 Rover Montego 1.6 Auto - Gone

Post #109242 4th Aug 2011 2:17 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 2 of 2 <12