Home > General > LR Warranty Expired 10 Days Ago - Now Major Oil Leak £1000
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Print this entire topic · 
cyberil

United Kingdom 
LR Warranty Expired 10 Days Ago - Now Major Oil Leak £1000

Hi All

My car had it's 3rd service today with a local garage who used genuine LR parts. They and I noticed that the vehicle had a massive oil leak that would mean removing the gearbox. I was quoted £1,000 + VAT.

The problem is my LR warranty expired only 10 days ago. Mileage is only 27,500 miles.

Has anyone had a similar experience with LR, in getting them to pay for it although the warranty has expired. A LR main dealer are due to collect the car in the morning for an inspection.

A similar thing happened to me with an Apple Mac where the screen died one week after the warranty expired. There was no hesitation on their part to cover the full cost and in the process gained a customer for life (I bought 2 new Macs since then).

I have made LR customer service aware, should I keep pushing them to give it to me for free or am I banging my head against a brick wall. Is anyone aware of their policy?

Paul

Post #109089 2nd Aug 2011 5:01 pm
rchrdleigh

England 2011 Freelander 2 TD4 XS Manual Baltic Blue

They have been known to cover incidents such as this. I had a problem after my warranty ran out and the Dealer Service Department persuaded LR to cover the full cost. If LR won't play you could try the Sale of Goods Act and not fit for purpose line as you should suffer a massive oil leak on a relatively new vehicle which has been maintained in accordance with the manufacturers guidelines.

Post #109101 2nd Aug 2011 8:53 pm
ad210358

England 

Keep badgering the dealer, I had a gearbox replaced FOC two months out of warranty on a Disco TD5 in the past, there are a few tales on here of successful claims out of warranty or at least a sizeable contribution to the costs, LR will look favourably on full service history, it is down a bit to your dealer if he wants to fight your corner. Thumbs Up

Post #109102 2nd Aug 2011 9:02 pm
BrianAbbott

United Kingdom 2011 Freelander 2 SD4 GS Auto Ipanema Sand
Re: LR Warranty Expired 10 Days Ago - Now Major Oil Leak £10

cyberil wrote:
Hi All

My car had it's 3rd service today with a local garage who used genuine LR parts. They and I noticed that the vehicle had a massive oil leak that would mean removing the gearbox. I was quoted £1,000 + VAT.

The problem is my LR warranty expired only 10 days ago. Mileage is only 27,500 miles.

Has anyone had a similar experience with LR, in getting them to pay for it although the warranty has expired. A LR main dealer are due to collect the car in the morning for an inspection.

A similar thing happened to me with an Apple Mac where the screen died one week after the warranty expired. There was no hesitation on their part to cover the full cost and in the process gained a customer for life (I bought 2 new Macs since then).

I have made LR customer service aware, should I keep pushing them to give it to me for free or am I banging my head against a brick wall. Is anyone aware of their policy?

Paul

I'd be surprised if they don't cover it, provided you push them and the local garage is an established one. Brian

MY11 FL2 SD4 GS
Extras to same spec as XS apart from the Satnav, plus Xenons.
Ipenema Sand, Ebony.

Post #109112 3rd Aug 2011 9:28 am
cyberil

United Kingdom 

LR dealer picked the car up this morning. Will post when I know the outcome - getting ready for a confrontation with LR head office Banging Head

Interestingly, LR told me yesterday that if my LR was serviced with a local dealer who is not VAT registered this voids my warranty even if they use genuine parts. It was serviced a year ago by a non VAT garage. Seems crazy and non logical.

Post #109113 3rd Aug 2011 9:43 am
cyberil

United Kingdom 

Dealer called to say that it is a massive oil leak from the back of the engine. Just to look at it by removing the gearbox £540, then they need to find the cause. Now 11 days out of warranty. BTW car was booked into garage before warranty ran out but due to holidays I had to wait....

Post #109126 3rd Aug 2011 11:31 am
EYorkshire

Quote:

Quote:
BTW car was booked into garage before warranty ran out but due to holidays I had to wait....

Was the car booked into dealer or local garage before the warranty ran out, if it was the local garage I don't think your dealer will be to bothered fighting your case. Unfortunately we have to 'suck up' to them while still in warranty to give them no excuses.

Post #109127 3rd Aug 2011 11:46 am
cyberil

United Kingdom 

It was booked into my local garage as it had some crash damage and needed an MOT. I'm sure the main dealer would have been too expensive for this.

Post #109128 3rd Aug 2011 11:52 am
cyberil

United Kingdom 

Just been offered 33% by LR - they're taking the Censored

I told the lady to takes a hike

Post #109130 3rd Aug 2011 12:11 pm
athelstan

With respect cyberil you've just shot yourself in the foot.

From what you have posted re the servicing circumstances and its timing, your case is weak. Given that, it would have been beneficial for you to have approached LR's 33% offer in a positive manner and asked for 48hrs to consider their offer - and to have been polite about it.

In those 48hrs you have an opportunity to discuss LR's offer with a qualified 3rd Party i.e., Trading Standards or a Solicitor to get an holistic balanced view of the best way forward.

Post #109132 3rd Aug 2011 12:25 pm
Andy131

United Kingdom 

Look on the bright side

You have probably saved £150 - £200 per service using your local garage, times this by three services and it's a fair way to the £1,000 you are going to have to spend.
The rest of us paid the dealer rates in the hope that should something go wrong the dealer will fight our case.

Can't realy have your cake and eat it. Tangiers Orange - gone, missing her
Replaced by Ewok what a mistake - now a happy Disco Sport owner

Post #109135 3rd Aug 2011 12:49 pm
simont

England 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Tonga Green

Andy131 wrote:
Look on the bright side

You have probably saved £150 - £200 per service using your local garage, times this by three services and it's a fair way to the £1,000 you are going to have to spend.
The rest of us paid the dealer rates in the hope that should something go wrong the dealer will fight our case.

Can't realy have your scone and eat it.

Thumbs Up 2002 Honda VFR800
2002 Toyota Celica 140 Silver (mid life crisis - again!)
2007 FL2 GS Manual Army Reconnaissance Green + freel2.com sticker Smile
2004 Toyota Celica 140 Black - Gone
2000 Toyota Celica 140 Silver - Gone
1998 Toyota Celica ST Pearl Green - Gone
1996 Nissan Primera 1.6 - Gone
1994 Rover Montego 1.6 Auto - Gone

Post #109136 3rd Aug 2011 12:53 pm
twodogs

2009 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Zermatt Silver

Athelstan is right.... Always have a think before you speak, I find it helps.

I can't quite remember the saying....old age is starting to catch up... Laughing

Post #109138 3rd Aug 2011 1:09 pm
cyberil

United Kingdom 

Sorted!!!

LR have given me 33% towards the cost. Should be about £600 before the deduction.

Had I serviced the car through the main dealers the contribution would have been higher.

Trading standards did agree that I had a case against the finance company and the garage that sold me the car, but its all a lot of hassle.

To be honest LR could have been more forthcoming especially as they know my car is being returned at the end of August and the new Evoke was on the cards.

Will probably get a Jeep Wrangler (...and yes I do know they can be problematic too).

For those of you who think I should have used the main dealers, that's BS especially after the EU directive on this. If you're a company car owner OK, but not if you're a private user and have to fork out hundreds more out of your on pocket...after all I'm just a poor Freelander driver and not a RR driver...Rant over!

Post #109149 3rd Aug 2011 3:46 pm
rchrdleigh

England 2011 Freelander 2 TD4 XS Manual Baltic Blue

LR initially offered me 33% of a £900 bill to replace the steering pinion on my first FL2. Dealer went into bat on my behalf because I'd had it serviced by them twice (1st and 3rd) and LR offered 66% before finally agreeing to meet the whole cost. It did help I had a new FL2 on order at the time but not from that Dealer but they still felt I had a good case a fought it on my behalf with LR.

They also gave me a reasonable price on my 3rd Service which is why i went to them rather than an independent. Good decision in the long run as it saved me at least £600 for an outlay of about £50 on the difference in service quotes.

Post #109150 3rd Aug 2011 3:54 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>