« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > Maintenance & Modifications > Garmin nüvi fitting tip
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
Past master

United Kingdom 
Garmin nüvi fitting tip

There are some great instructions on here about how to retrofit satnavs into the gap on the cheaper models. Me, I'm terminally lazy, so I just mounted my cheapo Garmin on its own bracket inside the satnav cave on the dash, as flush as I could get it. Unfortunately the rigid bracket supplied had too much height, and the unit poked out quite a bit. I've just bought a Navitech adjustible suction cup from Amazon, which incorporates a hinge, allowing a much lower profile. I can now mount the bracket further back in the cave, making the satnav much more of a flush fitting. I'm so impressed I might even get round to wiring it in now!
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Garmin-Adjustable-...-1-catcorr in case it's of use to anyone.

Post #100985 5th May 2011 9:03 pm
simont

England 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Tonga Green

Thanks PastMaster

A photo or two of it in situ would be appreciated by many. Thumbs Up 2002 Honda VFR800
2002 Toyota Celica 140 Silver (mid life crisis - again!)
2007 FL2 GS Manual Army Reconnaissance Green + freel2.com sticker Smile
2004 Toyota Celica 140 Black - Gone
2000 Toyota Celica 140 Silver - Gone
1998 Toyota Celica ST Pearl Green - Gone
1996 Nissan Primera 1.6 - Gone
1994 Rover Montego 1.6 Auto - Gone

Post #100994 5th May 2011 10:20 pm
Past master

United Kingdom 

Sorry. Should have thought of that. Am about to rush off for an 800 mile round trip in my FR2 Very Happy - will try to take some photos when I get back on Sunday.

Post #101023 6th May 2011 7:38 am
Past master

United Kingdom 

Sorry, still no photo (no time) but I've explored this a bit more. The obvious way to set it up is for the mount to protrude just proud of the cave/hole, so that the satnav can be fitted and detached easily. However with the new fitting this meant moving the mounting plate, which is now no longer sticky. As a result the satnav slid back into the hole where, to my surprise, it still worked perfectly and looked a lot better (I'd tried mounting it in there with shaped foam but hadn't got very far as it was too wobbly to use). My latest thought is to cut a piece of sticky-back Velcro to the shape of the rubber mat, and stick it where the mat used to be. Then add velcro to the base of the shiny mounting plate, and attach the sucker and mount the plate in the back of the hole using the Velcro. This will hold the satnav nice and firm about 1" into the dash. If I run the power lead through to the back of the hole I can leave it there semi-permanently, as it will be far enough into the dash to be fairly invisible. I could even cut a bit of black card to fit in front when not in use. The velcro will allow me to pull it out if need be. Will keep you informed!

Post #101470 10th May 2011 3:23 pm
Past master

United Kingdom 

Right. I've got roiund to doing this. Sorry no pics as yet - have pics on my new phone but no way of connecting it to computer. Anyway, this is what I did. Remember it's not a "professional" job like in the sticky thread, but it's cheap and cheerful and I like it so far.
Remove rubber mat in sat-nav space on dash. Keep in gluv box for replacement when selling car.
Fix stick on heavy duty Velcro to back of space, and to base of mounting plate. Attach mounting plate to suction cup of Navitech mount.
Cut power lead close (9") to cigar-lighter plug.
Thread bare end of lead down through left hand hole in base of sat-nav space, and run it down through gluv box into passenger well. Loop it round convenient wiring at back of well to keep it out of the way.
Power lead now not long enough, so extend, remembering there are three wires, red, black and white, and reconnect to cigar lighter plug. Run lead under rubber mat to hide it and avoid snagging.
Fix Nüvi to mount and attach power lead. Mount using velcro - base should be at back of space and to the left. Plug in to cigar lighter.

The satnav sits back in the dash out of the sun, but still works and can be removed if need be. I have cut a piece of black card to fit in the gap in the dashboard in front of the screen. This looks fine from outside, so should deter thieving b**tards. It looks naff from inside but that doesn't matter as I remove it when I'm in the car.

Post #103597 29th May 2011 3:19 pm
Past master

United Kingdom 

OK I've now put 2 photos in my gallery: https://www.freel2.com/gallery/index.php?cat=12295
As stated above it ain't a professional job, but it does what I want. I think the next step is to wire it in via fusebox.

Post #105015 12th Jun 2011 3:20 pm
exmilade

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 S Manual Stornoway Grey

Hi Past Master
I'm very interested in the mount you purchased, however, I need it for another application.

I would appreciate it if you could do me a favour and measure the diameter of the ball on the end of the arm.
Hope you can help.
Thanks
Ade

Post #107205 7th Jul 2011 8:23 pm
Past master

United Kingdom 

Not tonight, but will try and do it tomorrow. If I can find some calipers.

Post #107227 7th Jul 2011 10:50 pm
Jimmyb79

2008 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Sumatra Black

If it assists, I've bought this mount via amazon and it fits all the Garmin satnavs that I have at my disposal including a brand new one and very very old one!

Post #107228 7th Jul 2011 10:55 pm
exmilade

Thanks, its for a TomTom One powered cradle that has a ball joint too, but the main arm is at the wrong angle to use in the hole in the dash. The previous owner has glued a smooth piece of plastic to the roof of it to mount a sat nav suction cradle to.
Hope you can help. Cheers

Post #107260 8th Jul 2011 11:42 am
Past master

United Kingdom 

I can't find a caliper to measure it accurately, but as far as I can tell the Garmin ball is 17mm diameter.

Post #107371 9th Jul 2011 10:27 pm
exmilade

excellent, thanks, that should fit my cradle. I appreciate you taking the time to have a look for me.
Cheers
Ade

Post #107373 9th Jul 2011 11:02 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1