Home > General > Announced This Morning - New Engine Plant in India
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
athelstan

Announced This Morning - New Engine Plant in India

Tata to kick-start Jaguar-Land Rover Engine Manufacturing Plant in India

An Official JLR Announcement
Tata Motors has decided to setup a Jaguar-Land Rover (JLR) engine assembly unit in India. This strategic move to Complete Knocked Down (CKD) will allow Tata Motors to save the 10% import duty charge that it would otherwise have to pay to the Indian government. The state of the art manufacturing facility will be a carbon copy of JLR’s new engine manufacturing facility in the UK's Midlands.

JLR’s CKD assembly in India will also assist Tata’s ambitions to start a cohesive technology trickle-down from JLR. This would mean more efficient and able Tata Safaris and Arias vehicles in the future.

Paul Chadderton - JLR - said that Jaguar-Land Rover has ambitious plans for India, adding that initial investment in the engine plant would be GBP£400m. The annual cumulative production capacity of both the engine plants (India and UK) will be half a million units. The Indian plant will come on stream only after the UK plant is fully operational.

(Note: please treat the veracity of this data as you see fit - I will not spend time defending its content)

Post #104026 2nd Jun 2011 10:51 am
dunroof

Thumbs Up

Post #104027 2nd Jun 2011 11:05 am
Mav71

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Manual Stornoway Grey

It's good news, especially the fact that they will be building a plant in Wolverhampton as well.

I have had a bit of inside info on the 4 cylinder plans. Same 2.0 block for Diesel and Petrol and from 150bhp to 550bhp from the 2.0 engines! Freelander 2 HSE Lux 2013MY - Barolo Black with Ivory Leather. Alpine DVD - Privacy -Evoque 20" Dynamic Wheels and more to come.........

Post #104033 2nd Jun 2011 1:08 pm
athelstan

550bhp - good gracious.

Post #104040 2nd Jun 2011 2:05 pm
dunroof

Shocked

Post #104043 2nd Jun 2011 2:09 pm
1STFREELANDER

United Kingdom 2010 Freelander 2 TD4 XS Auto Santorini Black

Out of interest does the UK charge 10% on goods imported from india, if it did it would A) raise some money and B) perhaps create some much needed jobs in the UK. Just so I understand how this works, india charges 10% on goods we export to them, we charge nothing for the cheaps goods they export to, destroying our jobs and we give them billions in aid for the privilage.

Post #104114 2nd Jun 2011 11:01 pm
athelstan

1STFREELANDER
All countries across the globe have trade tariffs that apply to imported goods - unless - they are part of trading blocks i.e. the EU etc.,where common agreements have been negotiated on behalf of member states with other countries. Also nations do arrange between themselves specific bilateral trade agreements.

These tariffs relate to individual goods (finished or in component form) and services, and there is not one single universal tariff applied in all circumstances to a given product. The rate that is applied is not scientific, rather it is usually out of political expediency. In the case of India the UKGov applies "Favoured Trading" status. For exact tariff rates you'd have to go onto the UKGov Customs & Excise website to discover current rates of import duties.

Ten percent is not harsh, for example Switzerland applies a 300% import duty on packets of crisps to protect its one and only small manufacturer of crisps. It's all relative - swings n roundabouts.

Post #104154 3rd Jun 2011 9:14 am
Mav71

athelstan wrote:
550bhp - good gracious.

Yep, pretty simple really with todays technology. By using twin sequential turbocharging it will be an easy figure to acheive. Also by using the same block for diesel and petrol, the petrol will benefit from a stronger block for diesel applications.

In the past, you were limted by the size of the turbocharger, too small and there is no lag, but you lose out on top end power, but too big, and there is nothing low down, mass's of lag then loads of boost.

With sequential, there is a small turbo operating from around 1000/1200rpm to give good boost and no lag, then at around 1800/2000rpm, the second turbo comes in and works alongside the small turbo.

Then at around 2600/2800rpm, the small turbo bows out and the larger turbo runs to the top of the rev range.

The advantage, is the larger turbo is quite a bit bigger than a single turbo engine but does not have to worry about low end lag and can be programmed to generate mass's of high end boost.

I have driven the BMW Alpina D3 with it's 2.0 Sequential Twin Turbo4 cylinder (217bhp) and it is awesome. Drives like a tuned V6, I then drove it after it had been re-mapped to 255bhp and 395lb/ft and it was just epic! Freelander 2 HSE Lux 2013MY - Barolo Black with Ivory Leather. Alpine DVD - Privacy -Evoque 20" Dynamic Wheels and more to come.........

Last edited by Mav71 on 6th Jun 2011 3:41 pm. Edited 1 time in total

Post #104411 6th Jun 2011 10:56 am
athelstan

The wonders of compressed air. I used to like curved air (still do) but all they could do after a gig was engineer a house "snorting" party.

Mav71 many thanks for that clear briefing on how its achieved - very interesting reading, and, makes one look forward to driving the blighter.

Post #104413 6th Jun 2011 11:06 am
chicken george

United Kingdom 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 XS Manual Santorini Black

might need a good supply of spare head gaskets though. if your lucky and the whole engine doesnt melt instead Confused At work
At home

"I can't always believe facts I read on the web" - Charles Dickens

winner by default of the tractor vs caravan race

Post #104417 6th Jun 2011 12:22 pm
AndyT

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 SE Manual Sumatra Black

If they release a 550hp Freelander it'll still have the same manual gearbox and clutch Thud

Post #104418 6th Jun 2011 12:46 pm
Mav71

chicken george wrote:
might need a good supply of spare head gaskets though. if your lucky and the whole engine doesnt melt instead Confused

But it won't though. Engine components are made to a budget. So for example, a 200bhp version may have cast pistons and cast rods. This is fine for the 200bhp application, but above 300/350bhp they will used forged pistons and forged steel rods.

I know someone who has a 667bhp Vauxhall Zafira GSi. This started life as a standard 200bhp 2.0 Turbo petrol, but the block has been de-stressedm head modified, fully forged internals and a fookin great turbo.

I know he has done about 20,000 miles in this since he built the engine. The secret is ensuring the internal components can withstand the forces and heat generated.

JLR have done the right thing by using what in effect will be a four cylinder diesel block for petrol applications. More expensive to do in it's own right but only having to make one block for both fuels brings those costs down.

My father in law has an Aston Martin V8 Vantage, this has the 4.3 V8. Many poeple think that the engine is JLR's V8 without the supercharger. But Aston tried this engine and could not get above 350bhp without it going bang, because it is normally aspirated it is very highly strung.

To solve the problem, Aston used the block from the diesel TDV8 Range Rover and developed it into a petrol engine. SO 450bhp is possible without a turbo or supercharger as the block is strong enough to cope. Freelander 2 HSE Lux 2013MY - Barolo Black with Ivory Leather. Alpine DVD - Privacy -Evoque 20" Dynamic Wheels and more to come.........

Post #104429 6th Jun 2011 3:49 pm
Mav71

AndyT wrote:
If they release a 550hp Freelander it'll still have the same manual gearbox and clutch Thud

That will never happen, but the 240bhp 2.0 Turbo Freelander 2 Si4 is a peach to drive apparently. Shame it's only for the American/Australian and Chinese market.

We are not getting it. Freelander 2 HSE Lux 2013MY - Barolo Black with Ivory Leather. Alpine DVD - Privacy -Evoque 20" Dynamic Wheels and more to come.........

Post #104430 6th Jun 2011 3:50 pm
julytourist

United Kingdom 2010 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Rimini Red

Curved Air with Sonja Kristina, happy memories, I still have my picture disc version of Airconditioning......not a lot to do with turbos tho! JT Upgraded to an ex demo, 7 mth old, Rimini Red/Ebony Napoli Auto HSE on 28th Jan 2011, added roof rails, mudflaps and side strips.
Gone - A great 57 Plate, Auto SE, Bought Feb 2009, Roof Rails and Mudflaps added on purchase. Blue colour, anything but drug dealer black.....

Post #104508 7th Jun 2011 11:16 am
athelstan

JT - they are playing near you on 24th July at the London High Voltage Festival. Strange, but when ever I have to pump up my bicycle tyres I also slip into a tune from CA. Never happens with car tyres. It's the latent hippy in me. Prog Rock, Sex n Drugs - and loads of beer. Wonderful days.

Post #104512 7th Jun 2011 11:35 am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1