Forum-Gallery-Shop-Sponsors

« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > Maintenance & Modifications > Creaking / Juddering Wing Mirrors
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 5 <12345>
Print this entire topic · 
andw

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 XS Manual Stornoway Grey

Hi all. Well yesterday I was thinking I was looking at a new drivers wing mirror as it was stuck in no matter what button I pressed Crying or Very sad I had to eventually push the mirror out by hand not good I think
Howe ver thanks to this forum and this thread my mirrors are now in sync and don't juder fantastic Very Happy

Post #87107 8th Jan 2011 9:22 pm
Oscr

Norway 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Manual Tambora Flame

superspark wrote:
Hi, Your Problem is a problem many will have. What happens is that the lubricant drys out and causes the creeking and juddering you are now getting.
What you need to do is this.
1,Power the mirrors in then power them back out.
2,With both hands take a firm grip of either side mirror.
3,Gently but firmly push the mirror housing forward towards the front of the car,It wont want to go at first,you will hear a loudish click and then it will go forward.You will now think you have broken it but dont worry you havent.
4,Now with the mirror swinging lose between fully extended and fully forward towards the front of the car, gently work back and forth 6 -7 times then gently click back into position.
5,Repeat actions for other side mirror and this should cure your problem. If not repeat again but this time squirt in some silicone lubricant. Mines be fine ever since now about a year.
This is out of the landrover bulitin on this problem Thumbs Up

Push the mirror housing forward? Or rotate the mirror housing forward? Leopard tank drivers never stop at anything.

2007 TD4 HSE Moon Roof Ebony Leather Navi...

Post #104023 2nd Jun 2011 10:24 am
ad210358

England 

Push the complete mirror housing forwards, towards the the front of your FL2 Thumbs Up

Post #104066 2nd Jun 2011 7:22 pm
ptecuk

United Kingdom 2014 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Firenze Red

Sorry if you think I am labouring the point but just to make sure. Do you mean push both sides of the mirror housing forward beyond the normal open position i.e. not using its hinge? Why I ask is that I have tried to cure my passenger side creaking by swinging the housing forward on its hinge beyond the normal open position but have failed to cure the problem. Maybe the gears inside are worn. 2007 TD4 SE Manual
2014 TD4 HSE Auto

Post #104104 2nd Jun 2011 9:42 pm
ad210358

England 

If you push the complete housing forward you can just see the mechanism to lube it, WD40 worked for me.

Post #104122 2nd Jun 2011 11:19 pm
athelstan

Her Ladyship's juddered a lot after a long road trip to Spain last year. Initially the LR dealer lubricated the mechanism however the problem reoccurred with a month. Next time they said that LR had authorized a replacement as the motors had worn out after only 8 months. This was an expensive warranty job as they had to respray the whole of the new mirror body and arms to match those specially supplied on the limited edition "Newport" model here in Switzerland. To see how they differ from the standard mirrors look at the image in my gallery.

So if spraying with silicone lubricant, or a dealer fix doesn't work, and your FL2's with warranty then press the case for new units. Maybe Alex can find a TOPix technical release on this.

Post #104158 3rd Jun 2011 9:27 am
ad210358

England 

He is in a 2007 model Athelstan, so he may well be out of LR Warranty. Mine have started doing it this week but it can wait untill its first service. Thumbs Up

Post #104175 3rd Jun 2011 11:07 am
Past master

United Kingdom 

To put this in perspective, both the mirror glasses of the wife's Astra fell off last week. Seems the glue doesn't like the sun! And WD40 is no help at all Rolling with laughter

Post #104203 3rd Jun 2011 4:00 pm
athelstan

ad210358 wrote:
He is in a 2007 model Athelstan, so he may well be out of LR Warranty. Mine have started doing it this week but it can wait untill its first service. Thumbs Up

I mentioned Alex only because he is the site's technical moderator and has mastery over TOPix. Not because of the age of his FL2.

Post #104205 3rd Jun 2011 4:41 pm
russben

United Kingdom 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Manual Santorini Black

The TOPIx information is under SSM 40566 and SSM 43355. Unless you subscribe to TOPIx you won't be able to open the documents up, unfortunately.

I made a list of all the TOPIx bulletin numbers in a Word document for reference. Feel free to download and print it off.

https://www.freel2.com/gallery/albums/user...0Topix.doc Poke it, Poke it, make it do it again!!

Gone - 2008 Freel2 HSE Santorini Black
Hello - 2010 RRS TDV6 3.0 HSE Santorini Black

Post #104217 3rd Jun 2011 5:50 pm
athelstan

That presents a very useful overview in one Russben - thanks. I'm always searching for data on the adaptive headlights, or in her Ladyship's case adaptive non-adaptive depending on how they feel like working at any given moment. Usually they don't adapt. Twisted Evil

Post #104219 3rd Jun 2011 7:00 pm
Past master

United Kingdom 

Regarding TOPIX documents, try feeding the bulletin number off the list into Google. I just did this for one of the items on Russben's list and the text came up straight away! No need to subscribe. May not be true for all of them of course.
Thumbs Up

Post #104242 3rd Jun 2011 10:10 pm
superspark

United Kingdom 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 SE Manual Izmir Blue
Wing mirror judder

To all of you who have wing mirror judder, have a look at my earlier post on it. there is a LR bullitin explaining how to correct it Thumbs Up

Post #104251 4th Jun 2011 8:06 am
alex_pescaru

And if you are hesitant to do what superspark said, here's the bulletin that says the same thing:
SSM43355 - Exterior mirrors Judder on power fold operation

The other SSM is about the functionality of the mirrors, clarifying some aspects about how they work.

Post #104252 4th Jun 2011 8:20 am
blacklr

Got fed up with squeaking mirror, pry open the cover & dump it with WD 40. Will monitor whether it solve the issue or only temporary solution. Pictures showing lubricate location.

Admin note: this post has had its images recovered from a money grabbing photo hosting site and reinstated Mr. Green

Post #105082 13th Jun 2011 5:04 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 2 of 5 <12345>