Forum-Gallery-Shop-Sponsors

« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > General > More advice needed on new SD4
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 4 <1234>
Print this entire topic · 
Triple7

United Kingdom 2010 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Santorini Black

Sounds like you're almost there with that deceion..... Wink 2010MY Freelander 2 HSE Auto
Santorini Black with Ebony Napoli Leather

Post #102543 18th May 2011 9:30 pm
GeorgeG

United Kingdom 

Triple7 wrote:
Sounds like you're almost there with that deceion..... Wink

Triple, I'm wavering a bit now. I've had various quotes for an SD4 HSE and a reasonable discount with all of them, so I know the lie of the land. I discovered yesterday that you can also get a further discount which I think is called dealer support. It,s a flat rate; £350 for XS and £500 for HSE, but not in conjunction with any finance deals like the split payment over 2 years and 0%. This means that the 0% deal is not actually free because you are giving up £500 discount, which is effectively a charge.

I'm now thinking I may as well pay up front and get the max discount as I have the cash from the sale of a VW camper van. This had led me to think I may be better of going for an SD4 GS or XS specced up with leather and a sunroof as I don't need/want, for instance, the luxury of a premium sound system as I really only ever listen to the radio. Also, i have always preferred wheels with as high profile tyres as possible in view of the terrible roads where Ilive. Consequently, I would rather have the 17" wheels of the GS or XS unless HSE users can persuade me that 18" wheels don't degrade the ride quality.

I am aware of advice from many that come trade in time I will get a much reduced p-ex, but I will have paid much less for it in the first place. It seems to me that often when buying a higher spec model the extras, when aadded up, come at a reduced price as they are a 'pack' or whatever. If you add up the extras on each grade of the FL2 over and above the one below the discount is not particularly attractive. I have come to the conclusion that I was really only looking at an HSE because of the 0% finance deal, which is what Land Rover want of course!

Anybody had similar thoughts and lived to regret it?

Also, advice on ride quality on 18" wheels compared with 17" wheels ( is the ride on 65 profile tyres noticeably better than on 60 profile tyres?) would be much appreciated.

Post #102731 20th May 2011 10:02 am
rchrdleigh

England 2011 Freelander 2 TD4 XS Manual Baltic Blue

Although I didn't go for an SD4 but a TD4 I bought an XS and added a sunroof and DAB radio, I wasn't bothered about the leather seats and am very happy with the leather/alcantara seats on the TD4.
Having driven both the TD4 and SD4, I'm quite happy with the performance of the TD4 and very happy with its fuel consumption and reduced road tax.

Post #102732 20th May 2011 10:54 am
Wintermute

Turkey 2011 Freelander 2 TD4 XS Auto Stornoway Grey

I used to drive the 19" wheels compared to the 17" I have now. I must say I prefer the 17".

However there is very little feel difference between them (if any) so 18 to 17 might be even smaller difference.

I am driving XS with leather and pan. roof in stornoway. I think you would like it. 2010 Freelander 2 Select TD4 auto....gone
2011 Freelander 2 TD4 auto ...current

Post #102734 20th May 2011 10:56 am
chicken george

United Kingdom 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 XS Manual Santorini Black

I did 13,000 mile with 17s before changing to 18's for a further 17,0000 , found no real difference in ride or bad weather traction to be honest.
Dont let wheel size alter your decisions, maybe just avoid 19's if your roads are so bad, That said others say 19's give no problems either, except pinky who is our resident kerb finder general.

Your correct in that 0% is unavailable if you get dealer support. so not a true 0% if all told
0% is also unavailable if you get other forms of discount such as NFU At work
At home

"I can't always believe facts I read on the web" - Charles Dickens

winner by default of the tractor vs caravan race

Post #102735 20th May 2011 11:00 am
Triple7

You won't notice any difference between the 17's and 18's. Again, peeps will want the big wheels come resale.

The 0% APP deal was available across the range in 2009, it is now just left on the pricey top models. If you ask me I think the HSE is 'overpriced', but because I went for the APP it only cost me £20k to drive it out the showroom, not the £35k sticker price. I'll worry about the residual in 2 years. Like I have said before, you can stick the money in premium bonds or the stock market and make money off the £15k you don't have to put into the car. This money should make you more than the extra £500 dealer support discount. I also like the fact with the finance you get the residual as a GMFV, which on the SD4 HSE is about £15k.

What price difference are we talking about between you speccing an XS over an HSE?

The other option really is to buy the pre-facelift model. I'm sure you will find a nearly new HSE easily. A year old HSE will probably be £28k on the forecourt. I think they look better (the XS/GS won't have the colour coded trim or the boot spoiler which really looks the biz,) you save a lot of money and the fuel saving compared to the SD4 is negligible in my book. 2010MY Freelander 2 HSE Auto

Post #102743 20th May 2011 1:38 pm
Swingwing

The year old TD4 HSEs that I looked at were between 30 and 31K and dealers were not talking discounts on second hand nearly new stock. They told me they could sell all of them twice over.

Post #102748 20th May 2011 2:00 pm
GeorgeG

United Kingdom 

Triple7 wrote:
You won't notice any difference between the 17's and 18's. Again, peeps will want the big wheels come resale.

The 0% APP deal was available across the range in 2009, it is now just left on the pricey top models. If you ask me I think the HSE is 'overpriced', but because I went for the APP it only cost me £20k to drive it out the showroom, not the £35k sticker price. I'll worry about the residual in 2 years. Like I have said before, you can stick the money in premium bonds or the stock market and make money off the £15k you don't have to put into the car. This money should make you more than the extra £500 dealer support discount. I also like the fact with the finance you get the residual as a GMFV, which on the SD4 HSE is about £15k.

What price difference are we talking about between you speccing an XS over an HSE?

The other option really is to buy the pre-facelift model. I'm sure you will find a nearly new HSE easily. A year old HSE will probably be £28k on the forecourt. I think they look better (the XS/GS won't have the colour coded trim or the boot spoiler which really looks the biz,) you save a lot of money and the fuel saving compared to the SD4 is negligible in my book.

After discounts are applied, and not going for the 0% deal, the specced up XS is almost exactly £2500 less than the HSE. If I go for the finance the saving is £3000. Triple, I bet you'll tell me to pay the extra and you're probably right.

I thought about nearly new ( I prefer the look of the pre-facelift - I hate it when people mess with a good designer's perfectly executed concept) but as Swingwing says they are pricey, although I haven't tried to negotiate a discount. I would be interested to hear of anyone who did manage to negotiate a significant reduction. I suppose there are people who must have one NOW and are not prepared to wait a couple of months or so. As long as they are a bit cheaper than list they are happy.

Post #102753 20th May 2011 3:19 pm
Triple7

For the price difference buy the HSE on the 0%!

Go on Stratstone.com, if you find a used/nearly new HSE, either pre or post facelift that meets your spec, drop me a pm and I'll get a price for you. If you like it, I will introduce you to my guy and you can do the rest from there? Do you have a part-ex?

http://www.stratstone.com/vehiclesearch/us...der-2.html

Thumbs Up 2010MY Freelander 2 HSE Auto

Post #102756 20th May 2011 4:03 pm
GeorgeG

United Kingdom 

Triple7 wrote:

Go on Stratstone.com, if you find a used/nearly new HSE, either pre or post facelift that meets your spec, drop me a pm and I'll get a price for you. If you like it, I will introduce you to my guy and you can do the rest from there? Do you have a pert-ex?

Thumbs Up

Thanks for that Triple, I'll see what they have nearly new. I bought my Volvo V70 fron Stratstone in Newport. It was an ex management car, nearly new and a cracking deal. I will be p-exing a Subaru Forester 2.0 XT auto, 2004 (54) 65,000 miles, full Subaru service history and in excellent condition.

I'll let you know if I see anything that might be interesting.

You mentioned in previous post that you would not be worried by worse fuel consumption in pre-facelift models - any idea how much better new ones are in practice? I know that officially they are meant to be an improvement of 4.6 mpg on the combined cycle, for what that's worth.

Post #102760 20th May 2011 4:20 pm
Triple7

No I wouldn't be concerned with less MPG on a pre-facelift, if it meant I was saving £8k on the price of a new one.

I think 4-5mpg less is about right. It's the gearbox which uses the juice...

Let me know if anything suits. 2010MY Freelander 2 HSE Auto

Post #102769 20th May 2011 6:16 pm
bluebirds

Wales 2011 Freelander 2 SD4 Sport Auto Fuji White

GeorgeG wrote:
Triple7 wrote:

Go on Stratstone.com, if you find a used/nearly new HSE, either pre or post facelift that meets your spec, drop me a pm and I'll get a price for you. If you like it, I will introduce you to my guy and you can do the rest from there? Do you have a pert-ex?

Thumbs Up

Thanks for that Triple, I'll see what they have nearly new. I bought my Volvo V70 fron Stratstone in Newport. It was an ex management car, nearly new and a cracking deal. I will be p-exing a Subaru Forester 2.0 XT auto, 2004 (54) 65,000 miles, full Subaru service history and in excellent condition.

I'll let you know if I see anything that might be interesting.

You mentioned in previous post that you would not be worried by worse fuel consumption in pre-facelift models - any idea how much better new ones are in practice? I know that officially they are meant to be an improvement of 4.6 mpg on the combined cycle, for what that's worth.

Just because I have one ( Very Happy ) have you looked at the Sport LE? Spec wise it sits between the XS and HSE?

The Sport LE I have is a SD4 auto. I have done just over 1k miles and its returning 33MPG on a combination of motorway and around town. This is not driving like miss daisy either Very Happy MY11 Freelander 2 Sport LE Fuji White

Post #102823 21st May 2011 12:49 pm
GeorgeG

United Kingdom 

Just because I have one ( Very Happy ) have you looked at the Sport LE? Spec wise it sits between the XS and HSE?

The Sport LE I have is a SD4 auto. I have done just over 1k miles and its returning 33MPG on a combination of motorway and around town. This is not driving like miss daisy either Very Happy[/quote]

Thanks Bluebirds. Interesting comments re mpg. I have seen two Sports in a dealer - 1 x white and 1 x red which are colours I don't really want. I think i will pursue an HSE on a 0% finance deal. I am going in to dealers on Monday to haggle.

Post #102847 21st May 2011 6:15 pm
GeorgeG

United Kingdom 

Finally got an extended test drive in an SD4 the other day. A couple of hours or so and nearly 60 miles on my own. Although I have driven the FL2 before for short periods, it is surprising how different a vehicle feels over a longer test. I was struck by how much more of an off-roader it feels compared to my Forester in terms of weight and roll in corners. Also, despite the relatively powerful engine it needs to be coaxed into action by a fairly heavy throttle to get any kind of response similar to the Subaru. I can see why some members here can get as low as 20 mpg. I think it is probably a car you need to adapt your driving style to in order to bring out its qualities.

It was a bright day and I was aware of the wires in the heated windscreen. I know that the heated screen is loved by most people and is regarded as a 'must have'. I thought this may drive me mad as it seems to give the impression that you are looking through a slightly opaque film. Have others had this first impression and then found that you get used to it? I know it seems a minor irritation, but I worry about spending £35,000 and getting a car with a feature that drives me to distraction.

On the question of mpg, my test route had a bit of everything - about 40% dual carriageway at 70ish, 40% A-Class roads, 10% country lanes and 10% town. I was probably being fairly careful, but carried out two or three brisk overtaking moves. The OBC recorded 34.4 - how accurate is this likely to be? My experience of e.g. VW is that they are usually at least 10% optimistic - my Forester doesn't have an OBC which is just as well!

Overall I was impressed by the apparent build quality and it is much less low rent than the Subaru. It is a very nice long distance cruiser and fuel consumption, although disappointing, is really not bad for a vehicle of its weight. Most of my use of this vehicle would be country lanes and I am a bit concerned that I may find it a little ponderous - I actually found the Volvo V70 tedious to drive in these situations.

I need a 4 x 4 and it may fit the bill, but I am going to try a Subaru Outback 2.5 Lineartronic - a completely different beast but it may be nearer to what I am looking for and, believe it or not is probably more economical in the real world despite being petrol. It is a large 4 x 4 but is about 300 kg lighter.

I will report back.

Post #103208 25th May 2011 1:45 pm
SimonB

United Kingdom 2011 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Auto Stornoway Grey

GeorgeG wrote:
Also, despite the relatively powerful engine it needs to be coaxed into action by a fairly heavy throttle

Search out the SD4 throttle response thread if you haven't already. I find the heaviness of right foot needs to vary depending on what gear I am in and how I have approached the situation where I need throttle. I also find the engine considerably noisier than I would have expected when accelerating hard, but have got used to it (I assume it's normal).

My policy now is that if I know I will need throttle on tap I flip to Sports mode, eg at junctions, roundabouts or for overtaking. Did the same thing in my BMW Diesel and found it came naturally after a while.

GeorgeG wrote:
It was a bright day and I was aware of the wires in the heated windscreen.

I wasn't aware of this until I read about it here, I then went and looked for it by 'squinting' and could then see it, but don't notice it normally, and was only reminded of it again by reading your comment. Horses for courses perhaps, you either see it normally or you don't, it may be that one never gets used to it if you do notice it.

Post #103210 25th May 2011 1:56 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 2 of 4 <1234>