« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > Technical > Handbrake Service ??
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
bill

United Kingdom 2009 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Auto Santorini Black
Handbrake Service ??

Use my Freelander for towing and short trips only and it has never been off-road.

Just had my second annual service at the main dealer I bought it from and had to pay an additional £111, incl. VAT, to have the handbrake mechanism lubricated and serviced ! Apparently not covered by the 36 month warranty. Mileage 12,000 !!

Is this common and can I expect this bill every 12,000 miles ?

Bill

Post #101499 10th May 2011 6:51 pm
dunroof

No, never heard of it. Ask for details before you pay and if your not happy, dont pay. They should be showing you any parts they replaced. Failing that go back round about when the place first opens in the morning, armed with your receipt. Not only will you tie up the receptionist for a good half hour, but you can tell everyone else of the extortion.

Post #101500 10th May 2011 7:12 pm
bill

United Kingdom 2009 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Auto Santorini Black

dunroof wrote:
No, never heard of it. Ask for details before you pay and if your not happy, dont pay. They should be showing you any parts they replaced. Failing that go back round about when the place first opens in the morning, armed with your receipt. Not only will you tie up the receptionist for a good half hour, but you can tell everyone else of the extortion.

Unfortunately I have already paid for it and couldn't get through to LR Customer Services when I got home.

The invoice reads "Carry out handbrake service. Remove calipers, discs, shoes etc. found expander tight.
Free out lubricate and assemble and test. Charge £93 + VAT."

Can't believe a handbrake mechanism can be so vulnerable on a car supposedly designed for off roading !!

Bill

Post #101504 10th May 2011 7:24 pm
Captain Worm

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 SE Auto Narvik Black

If you did'nt ask for it then you shouldn't have to pay for it... if you mentioned a dodgy hand brake before the service and its on the service sheet you might have less to stand on however.

I suspect what you have paid for is an hours labour to remove the disks / calipers and give it all a good clean. Not unreasonable, but does seem steap Freelander 2 TD4 Auto, SE, Narvik Black, Alpaca full leather, Rear Headrest Entertainment System, 6 CD, 18 HSE Wheels, Privicy tints

Post #101507 10th May 2011 7:41 pm
oldgeezer

United Kingdom 2013 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Baltic Blue

Hi Bill
Oooohhhhh thats painfull ! regarding the usage

It would appear they can charge according to the service sheet, but its bad customer relations none the same as i always feel they charge enough alreday for doing very little !

https://www.freel2.com/gallery/albums/user...0Miles.pdf

Post #101509 10th May 2011 7:45 pm
EYorkshire

I personally think the amount of road salt spread on the roads this past winter would be enough to prematurely seize up anything that's not used regularly. I shoved the pressure washer under the car regularly to clean the underside.

Post #101510 10th May 2011 7:46 pm
superspark

United Kingdom 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 SE Manual Izmir Blue

Yep, typical landrover, a sneek attack to releave you of more money.
It all depends on what you asked them to do. If they were just servicing the main parts ie oil, filters etc then the hand brake would not come in to it. If however they were fitting new discs pads etc then they found problems then the should of contacted you first out of common curtesy.
They seem to lack this at many main dealers nowadays and this will be their undoing. My advice to you would be go to a vat vegistered independant. There you will gey much better service and cheaper bills. Provided they use genuine parts you warranty will still be valid

Post #101520 10th May 2011 8:32 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1