Forum-Gallery-Shop-Sponsors

« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > Off Topic > Motoway slip roads
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 2 <12
Print this entire topic · 
athelstan

Re the Motorway Slip Road.
Here in CH these are usually very short. In this small country there's simply no room left at the side of the motorway for the slip road, and over 80% of motorways are what you'd call in the UK a dual carriage way. So it is very time/space critical to get it first time right on entry. Very often I see completely hopeless Herberts running out of slip road and then in panic they either pull immediately onto the motorway right in front of you causing you to take evading action, or, they come to a dead stop at the end of the slip road with their indicators on awaiting a long gap in the traffic.

And a word of caution re exiting the motorway. Again space in CH is the problem for the designers so most exits are short and often sharp with the slip road bending round back up ya arse. These are truly 20 to 25mph exits - so slow down and abide by the sign posted speed limits. I've witnessed quiet a few foreign plated vehicles engorged in the armco barriers or worse "rolled". If it's a Swiss plated car they are Censored !

Post #111420 29th Aug 2011 7:55 am
swanny72

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 SE Auto Sumatra Black

I for one always try and move out into lane 2 to allow on coming traffic to join, although too many people are to Censored ignorant these days. I was going home from work up the m1 and where it goes over the m25 some Censored idiot in one of those Vauxhall Rep mobiles decided to go from the slip road to lane 3 in one manourve, without looking and just about cleared the front of me by inches, i did point out to him that maybe he wanted to add some mirrors to his rep car and he had the cheek to give me the bird !!! 2007 ( 57 ) TD4 SE Auto, Samatra Black, Leather interior, Xenon Headlights, No Privacy Glass yet though.

Post #111439 29th Aug 2011 2:36 pm
Biscay

United Kingdom 2009 Freelander 2 TD4_e XS Manual Biscay Blue

Always move over if free to do so but never if causing other road uses to have to slow down. Same if having to swop lanes to overtake or when slipping on to the motor way.

What really gripes me are those people that cruise all the way down the slip and slide on at the end even if it means causing traffic to have to break for them. Yesterday saw someone do just that. Car in lane 1 had to swerve over and car in lane two had to break hard to avoid lane 1 car. All because some idiot hadnt got a clue.

My driving instructor took me up and down dual carridgeway slipping on and off. I was taught to check for possible safe gap and speed up to speed of traffic to fit safely in that gap. If no safe gap then to stop with half of slip on left so can speed up when a sufficient gap came along.

Nowadays people dont even seem to look but just think its their right to force their way in.

Post #111444 29th Aug 2011 3:30 pm
DrownedRat

United Kingdom 2011 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Rimini Red

My Wife doesn't like Motorways - slip roads especially.

She used to stop at the bottom of the slip until a big enough space came along, later she would just close her eyes and pull onto Lane 1 - I drive now if there are motorways to negotiate. Its safer..........

I was always told to match my speed to the traffic in Lane 1 and feed in - don't expect anyone to give way.

DR There's always a way forward!

2008 Freelander Td4 GS - Stornoway Grey - Now Gone - Sob
2011 Freelander Td4 GS 150 - Rimini Red - in its place - Better x far x 4!!

Post #111480 29th Aug 2011 9:20 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 2 of 2 <12