« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > Maintenance & Modifications > Bulb replacement on 11MY
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 5 <12345>
Print this entire topic · 
blacklr

bluebirds wrote:
druand wrote:
Yes 11my has 2xH11 and 2xH7 in headlamps, Nice to note that LR acted on my email in DEC 2010 telling them of mistake in handbook which said 4xH11.
I already had H7 + 90% so only had H11 to buy.

Halfords have buy one get one free, the offer is often on but not displayed you have to ask!!!
As Halfords do not make bulbs they will likely be Osram or Phillips.

Are your fogs H11?

yes fogs is H11.

Post #110814 22nd Aug 2011 2:38 pm
jaksbak@freel2

Australia 2011 Freelander 2 SD4 SE Auto Stornoway Grey

Any further comments from people who have fitted the replacements globes (+90% or +100%)? Having recently completed a fair bit of country driving at night, I felt very unsafe with the existing headlights. Down here we have these bloody great things that have a habit of jumping out in front of you at night - very nerve racking in dark places at 100Klm! With the recent bad comments about HID conversion kits, I'm therefore back to replacement Halogen's.
I found an intersting link that discusses the downsides of HID and "blue" lights:-
http://www.danielsternlighting.com/tech/bulbs/blue/good/good.html

Post #112111 5th Sep 2011 5:43 am
Swingwing

I have just fitted Osram Night Breaker Plus (90%+) to all four lights and they do make a difference but it's not dramatic. Nevertheless, it is an improvement particularly on dip beam and I recommend you change bulbs - not neccessarliy Osram, there may be better out there but they are the only ones I have tried.

Post #112178 5th Sep 2011 9:10 pm
landy19840

Israel 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 SE Manual Zermatt Silver

£35 for 2x h11 nightbreakers!!! Fook!

Post #112182 5th Sep 2011 9:31 pm
jaksbak@freel2

Australia 2011 Freelander 2 SD4 SE Auto Stornoway Grey

Just paid $80aust (50 pound) for a set of Philips +100% H7 globes for the high beam - didn't make much of a difference really. The low beam (dipped) lights are H11 globes and I haven't tried them yet and I'm reluctant to spend yet another $80 for little improvement. What frustrates me on the low beam is the sudden (and complete) blackness on the edge of the beam. There is just no light beyond the beam and this is the scary part. Driving down a dark highway with oncoming traffic (thus low beam) makes me a little nervous - all those stupid animals ready to wander into your path ! ! ! ! We have big roos and wild deer wandering these parts.

Post #112196 6th Sep 2011 7:21 am
russben

United Kingdom 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Manual Santorini Black

Have a look on here also.

http://www.aceparts.com/headlight-bulbs/

Although they don't list Osram night breaker H11s, they do list H7s at £15.99 a pair. They also sell other lamps and accessories. I've bought from them before and have had good service at good prices. Poke it, Poke it, make it do it again!!

Gone - 2008 Freel2 HSE Santorini Black
Hello - 2010 RRS TDV6 3.0 HSE Santorini Black

Post #112849 12th Sep 2011 2:33 pm
Tigger

United Kingdom 

I'm confused.

I need to upgrade the standard dipped beam as I can't cope with the standard headlamps now that the dark nights have arrived.

I've just been in to my local Halfords and a motor factors and there are no bulbs labeled "H11". Am I missing something here? The Halfords website search facility doesn't find anything when I put "H11" in either.

Having said that, I've just found these two:

https://www.amazon.co.uk:443/Ring-Xenon-Ma...amp;sr=8-1

https://www.amazon.co.uk:443/Osram-Nightbr...amp;sr=8-6

https://www.amazon.co.uk:443/Osram-Night-B...amp;sr=1-1

Any advice on the best choice would be appreciated Thumbs Up

Tigger.

Post #120098 13th Nov 2011 3:40 pm
EYorkshire

I have upgraded my dipped beam only with H11 'Osram Nightbreaker +', there is an improvement but not massively.
Your second link are the original Nightbreaker, the plus has improved the longevity.

Post #120102 13th Nov 2011 4:40 pm
Tigger

United Kingdom 

EYorkshire wrote:
I have upgraded my dipped beam only with H11 'Osram Nightbreaker +', there is an improvement but not massively.
Your second link are the original Nightbreaker, the plus has improved the longevity.

Thanks for the reply. I really must do something about these headlamps, but it would be a waste to swap them if it makes very little difference.

Any other ideas?

Has anyone tried the Ring Xenon Max in the first link in my post above?

Post #120106 13th Nov 2011 4:58 pm
ebygum32

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Stornoway Grey

I am in the same boat as you looking at the Phillips x treme but checked halfords they do not stock phoned couple of local Moto shops they suggested the ring ones as they do not stock the Phillips, will get a price as the ring factory shop is in Leeds and you can normally get good discount in there

Post #120115 13th Nov 2011 5:59 pm
Red FR

2011 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Stornoway Grey

Autoexpress have recently published results of bulb tests, you can also view on their web site.

Post #120138 13th Nov 2011 7:58 pm
Tigger

United Kingdom 

Red FR wrote:
Autoexpress have recently published results of bulb tests, you can also view on their web site.

Thanks. Although I'm a bit suspicious that they used Philips' test facility and the Philips product won (purely a coincidence, I'm sure!), they did have some useful answers:

http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/products/prod..._cent.html

And, as a result of that, this one seems to be the right answer!

http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/stores/...gonPrice_0

The video seems to be useful too. I've reserved them for collection on their "buy one, get one free" offer.

Tigger.

Post #120143 13th Nov 2011 8:29 pm
MartynB

United Kingdom 2009 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Auto Zermatt Silver

ebygum32 wrote:
I am in the same boat as you looking at the Phillips x treme but checked halfords they do not stock phoned couple of local Moto shops they suggested the ring ones as they do not stock the Phillips, will get a price as the ring factory shop is in Leeds and you can normally get good discount in there

I've never been impressed with anythingfrom Ring, (even as a lad years ago in Bramley when I bought driving lights for my HB Viva from their factory shop on Geldard Road) i have found them to be cheap nasty Censored , ( but at one time all I could afford) , and everything else i've seen from them since looks the same, although that is my personal opinion probably based on unfounded predjudice Laughing

My buddy who is into Rallying swears by PIAA bulbs, and to be honest if you want more light forget the e marked legal bulbs go for the sports bulbs that have a higher input, I've tried these on bikes previously and also had their 100 w bulbs in the Hella safaris on the Defender , they are pricey compared to some but are the business 2009 GS Auto Zermatt Silver - Sold June 21 after 10 years of ownership

2016 Subaru Outback SE 2.0 diesel SE Premium Lineartronic Sold 2024 after 8 years and 80k miles . Best Car I ever owned !

2023 Toyota Hilux invincible X 2.8 Auto .

Post #120146 13th Nov 2011 8:41 pm
Tigger

United Kingdom 

Tigger wrote:
Red FR wrote:

Thanks. Although I'm a bit suspicious that they used Philips' test facility and the Philips product won (purely a coincidence, I'm sure!), they did have some useful answers:

http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/products/prod..._cent.html

And, as a result of that, this one seems to be the right answer!

http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/stores/...gonPrice_0

The video seems to be useful too. I've reserved them for collection on their "buy one, get one free" offer.

Tigger.

Okay, we have a test result! I've fitted the Halford Extremes that were recommended in the article and I've just been out to test them....

This has completely transformed the dipped beam in the car Shocked It used to be that turning on the front fog lamps made a huge difference to the light output on dark lanes, now there's very little difference whether they are switched on or not.

The light from the new bulbs is much brighter and much whiter; now, when I switch to main beam, the original main beam bulbs look woefully inadequate. And a nasty yellow colour! The edge of the beam from the projector is also much less blurred.

My other car, a 2010 Focus (with Xenons and projector lamps) has the best headlamps that I've ever used. These bulbs have closed the gap by around 75% Shocked

This is the best £27.99 I've ever spent on an upgrade.

Can you tell I'm impressed?!

Last edited by Tigger on 19th Nov 2011 7:00 pm. Edited 2 times in total

Post #120748 19th Nov 2011 6:56 pm
taztastic

England 

Laughing Just a little, I might get some Halfrauds shares Laughing

Post #120749 19th Nov 2011 6:59 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 2 of 5 <12345>